Please support me and my art!
Thank you very much
I've got another colouring of this months patreon only colouring page for you!
I really don't know why but I love to colour my monthly line arts on craft paper. But this time it's something completely new! I used my brand new set of gouache.
I shared my struggles with this new medium in a patreon post here with some wips and my first crapy attempt.
If you want to try colouring this lineart yourself just join my patreon and you will get access to all the previous pages as well!
And even if you're as broke as I am, you should follow my patreon for free for the occasional public post or visit my instagram where I uploaded the sketch for this piece.
This is the improved and so far final version of “Roses and Peonies” (until a redraw in a decade maybe). Even if I’d want to try it again, I am simply exhausted from all the times I lined this piece but at least I feel much better now.
If you want to see my first attempt, visit here the patreon exclusive.
I improved so many details and to start off, I flipped the piece. This made it easier to correct the anatomy. Not that it’s perfect now, but at least better… like a lot of things about this here. Another basic but huge change: I scaled it a bit down to fit all the line art on the sheet. On my first try I wanted to avoid emptiness around the motif by cropping it but in the end, it felt just crowded. I am not sure how much I prefer the loose watercolour around it now but it suits me better.
The most important change were the colours. I decided to use watercolours this time and really didn’t regret it. Although I wanted to keep the palette simple, I kept adding and adding new pans to my repertoire until I worked with a red, two pinks, thee blues and violet. The most important one was “Pottery Pink”, a granulating watercolour that added this beautiful texture to the skin.
The Flowers were a whole new problem this time! Although I figured out how I could implement a better gradient (by starting with a gradient wash and shade it afterwards) I erased too much of the line art so it hardly shone through. I struggled a lot with figuring out where the petals were by keeping the original lines nearby. This mistake also happened with other details like the hand. I think the gradient wash for the flowers cut the shape of the fingers short so that especially the thumb looks worse off. Somehow, I prefer the look of the bud she’s holding in the first piece more.
The same gradient wash technique I used with the hair and I feel like it worked this time so well in comparison to the old one. I also managed to keep it more flowy and curvier. The hair missed some length which improved the whole composition
Lastly, I lined the piece again in white but to avoid an amateurish silk painting effect I kept them mostly thin and light.
I still need a lot of improvement. The composition, anatomy, expression and colour composition could be way better but “Roses and Peonies” I & II shows how much can be improved in a week it one sets one’s mind to it.