WARNING: HUGE FILE. X_X
So I recently just learned how to love this coloring style. (Yes, I have been seeing this kind of coloring style way before, but I dunno why it's only now do I actually like this style.) For me, I would use this style to color my comics instead, since it's pretty fast for me. (This whole thing took me an hour to finish using this style.)
1) Rough Sketch
2) Lineart. It doesn't need to be a clean lineart, really.
3) I make backgrounds first. This is to figure out where will I do the shadows and lights.
4) Base Color. I usually go for the skin color one.
5) Made a new layer, set it to Multiply, and shaded over the base color. Any dark warm or cool color will do. (Here, I used dark red.)
6) Made another layer over everything, and set it to Addition (Linear Dodge (Add) for PhotoShop). This is for the light. The color MUST be in contrast to the color used in the Multiply layer.
7) Once I'm satisfied with the shadows and lights here, I went on adding flat colors. (I hid the extra layers to see where I'm coloring.)
8) The result.
9) Now for my favorite part: Fooling around PhotoShop. I merge all the layers except for the BG, and duplicated it 2-5 times. And then I Gaussian Blur (best if it's 1.0 - 2.0) the duplicated layers, and played with the color adjustment and their layer modes (e.g: go crazy until you are satisfied). My top priority here is that the top layer is still in Gaussian Blur and is at 50% capacity and its layer mode is Normal. Once I'm satisfied with it...
10) The final result.
Hope this can help you in a way. This is just one of my ways of coloring now. Not sure if I will make another walkthrough process using another coloring style (my usual style, which is WAY longer than this), but if I do, I'll let you know.
omg >u< KAi AND RAnDYYYYY!
I noticed in the background that you've placed a bunch of your url of your deviantart on, but in a way to where I had to squint to notice it: may I ask how you did that?
It's my watermark.
I simply placed a seamless pattern underneath the art, set the art's layer into 98% Capacity, and make a text layer for the url over the patterned layer and under the art layer.
Because idiots like to steal her art all the time so she's had enough of it
This looks great