This was my final project for Beginning Illustration. We'd been required to use watercolor for all out other projects, but for our final project, our teacher allowed us to use whatever medium we chose. Technically, the class is a "traditional media" class--meaning no digital--but I had had a friendly debate with my teacher a few weeks before about the relative merits of digital art vs. traditional art and how closely digital art can approximate traditional effects; when I asked if I could do the final project digitally, he agreed, on the condition that I use it as a challenge to "convince" him that digital art can capture the same "hand-of-the-artist" effects as traditional art. This was the result, and he seemed pleased during the critique, so I guess I rose to the challenge.
The project was open-ended, so we could do anything we wanted, but because it's an illustration
class, we had to do something that would actually be used as a commercial illustration (our project proposal had to include such things as intended audience, intended use, what the illustration was supposed to accomplish, etc.). I decided to do a book cover illustration for a Fantasy novel I've had in mind for years but have never gotten around to writing (you can find out more about the premise of the book here
, at the very bottom of the page).
The model for the subject in the cowl, by the way, was my wonderful husband, Tom.
Also see:Book layoutPhotos of this as an actual bookDetails close-ups at about 80%
Done in Painter IX, December 2007.