Artist Alley this year is inside Kentia Hall!
VIDEO FOR HOW TO GET TO KENTIA HALL (click image):
You can find it near the Parking Lots by going down the escalators to the right of the South Lobby.
Refugee Charity Commission [OPEN] + BONUS::UPDATES::
10 March 2016: Hi guys! Sorry for the radio silence on this! Stuff cropped up unexpectedly in between then and now, including technical dramas such as the breaking of my tablet (it has since been replaced, hallelujah!). During that time, however, the DIY campaign ended. Some of the money sits still in my paypal, and I'm still hoping to reach my $300 goal!
Amount raised so far: USD$197.42 (currency exchange rates are based on google)
So... refugees. Almost every country is experiencing this global problem in one way or another. It's not something many of us like to think about - being forced to flee your own home only to face prejudice, human cruelties and helplessness at every turn. Not to mention the dangerous conditions in which a lot of these refugees travel. If you have not read about the horrendous manners human traffickers have been exploiting the situation, it might be of interest to so
Halcyon - Studio Ghibli Fanbookre:VERSE s t u d i o presents our first project!
► ► The fanbook is all SOLD OUT
Thank you for all your support!!! We couldn't have made it successful without you all!
► Title: Halcyon - Studio Ghibli Fanbook Size: Letter (8.5 x 11 in)
Content: Full-color illustrations, spreads, WIPS, and sketches of Studio Ghibli related artwork; and an original Spirited Away comic/doujinshi (21 pages of toned goodness!) ALMOST 100% of the content is COMPLETELY new-never-seen-before (and the comic will never be printed elsewhere!)
Price: $25 + shipping & handling
Features: Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, The Cat Returns, The Borrower Arrietty, Grave of the Fireflies, and more!
m a i n _ a r t i s t s : / /
LITERATUREReminder of the Past He could feel the coming of winter with the tip of his tongue. The first sign of its arrival tasted like metal: sharp, powerful, and bitter. So bitter it made his tear-stained face numb and blood-tinted lips dry. Snow gave different impression, however; it was soft and mellow, like a hand that embraced you while you stood alone trying to make do of what happened. Its sweetness lingered hours after its passing, warming you from the strands of your hair to the tip of your toes.
He laughed; a croaking, hollow laugh that echoed into darkness. He hated it. Winter… Winter had the power to remind him of time long past: a time of innocence, a time of glory, and a time when the right option, lead to the tragic end. He was powerless to stop its spell; like the wind itself, winter was a bitter and unstoppable reminder of shed tears and blood. Tears and blood of the brave, of the pure and of the devoted. Tears and blood of those who believed in him. He whimpered. There were time
► Ilien d'Emriel (♂) A young archbishop from Venoa, Lorencia, whose meteoric rise gave voice to many rumors about his abilities.
[AVAILABLE] The following characters are available for RP and generally belong to active or semi-active groups.
#Academy of Heroes
► Kaeddyn (♂) A mischievous, sometimes sadistic, Shadow Arts specialist constantly searching for ancient knowledge.
#Academy of Heroes
► Julian von Einrichson (♂) A charming gardener-creature-tamer substitute teacher.
► Ikanus (♂) The youngest son, a half-swan, half-human prince based on the Grimm's Fairytale "The Six Swans."
[INACTIVE] The following characters no longer belong to these groups (due to revamps or other reasons) but the groups are still active.
► Azael (♂) A sarcastic and cynical Blood Elf merchant from Arcania in the magical artifacts trade.
► Soleril (♂) The light-hearted and whimsical Reshiram-King of Pandemoria.
[CLOSED/HIATUS] The following groups are either on long hiatus or closed.
► Saint-Laurent (♀) The cold part-android mercenary leader of Diebeiden.
► Rain (♀) A fun-loving spymistress and chemist working undercover with the Rebel faction.
► Armand (Allard Renoir-Leroux) (♂) A quiet musical genius.
► Mr. Friday (Crown Faraday) (♂) A highly intelligent, yet psychopathic doctor locked in N/A.
#Order of Saints
► Ilien (♂) A rebellious teenager learning the arts of Healing with a Phoenix familiar.
► Eridian (♂) The gentle political Advisor of Elavernis.
►Nocturne & Sonata (♂♀) Nocturne (vtas), a stoic young man, and Sonata (Illycia), a sweet, outgoing girl, are high school students from a dystopic future.
►Viola & Jeremiah (♀♂) Viola (vtas), a vampire unafraid of expressing her desires, and Jeremiah (genki-de), a demon with two personalities and a tendency to take things literally, form an unlikely romantic couple.
BINDING: Paperback Saddle-stitch
PRICE: $25/per book
SHIPPING: USA = $5; INTERNATIONAL (30% discount) = $10 (Shipping price stays the same for up to 3 books. USA shipping only comes with tracking number.)
GOODIES/EXTRAS: Each book comes with TWO FREE 8.5 x 11 prints or ONE FREE 11 x 17 print (will be folded around the book).
All Necromancia books have also been signed by me. You have the option of getting your free prints signed as well.
Title your note "NECROMANCIA ARTBOOK"
Real Name & Paypal Email:
Address: (just in case)
# of Books:
Additional Prints: (list #numbers and size, or leave blank)
Free Prints: (# and size)
Signature: Y/N? (All artbooks are signed; Prints can be signed in shiny gold sharpie!)
Sharing a table with the lovely
Here's a guide (based off ah-bao's notes):
(click for whole AA map)
I'll be selling some stuff you see in my gallery from last year and also a bunch of new prints, like:
-Game of Thrones
-Shingeki no Kyojin
-new Avengers stuff
Thank you so much for suggesting it and to everyone who watch me/have featured my artwork! Your support means a lot to me and without dA, I wouldn't be a digital artist today, or have progressed so far from three years ago!
I want to take a moment also, to make a small recommendation: I've been speaking to some people recently and it seems that they subconsciously avoided copying works and didn't realize how helpful it would be to copy to improve their art. I get asked questions like "how did you improve so fast?" a lot, and here is the answer. This journal geared specifically towards copying-as-primary-use-for-learning, and not Ctrl+C someone's picture and Photoshop filtering, etc.
It seems to me, on dA in particular, witch-hunts and "calling out" on people who copy others' works happen constantly. I've seen the extremes many times, and have also read accusing comments on my paintings like "isn't that similar to so-and-so's work?" Thus, "copy" as a word automatically seems to hold intense stigma on this site. Yes, tracing and not attributing is wrong. But that doesn't mean you can't learn from tracing. Many professional artists also do things like "master copies" (www.florenceacademyofart.com/n… ) to learn. I've done a few myself (sta.sh/0x8af5rpjpl and sta.sh/01lp7bohhhzc ).
For all those budding artists or people who hope to improve, I want to say: Copying is the best and fastest way to learn, and I don't believe there is anything wrong in doing it. Copying has been the primary form of learning in traditional art/studies for hundreds of years. Apprentices copied their masters -- nobody thought that was a bad thing.
I freely admit to copying a lot. Mostly, I copy technique and digital coloring style. (People seem to be touchy about styles too, but everyone, even people with extremely distinct styles, had their style inspired from somewhere, or several somewhere's.) I read a great blog post about developing your own style (link when I can find it again). It concludes with something like: Your style is what you keep/the elements you remember after you copy hundreds of artists and imitated hundreds of different styles. What makes you unique is the result from mixing aspects of every style you like. I find that I improve a lot faster from not doing pure copying but rather, approaching the painting the same way, with the same style, but with an original concept.
So, I guess, my message is: Don't be afraid to copy. Don't be afraid of being accused of copying. Don't be afraid to list references; they don't diminish your work.
In high school, I went to private art lessons from a traditionally trained artist who had graduated from a traditional institution in China - her words about copying/tracing: If you place the final result (your piece), side by side with the original, and you can safely say that they are separate pieces of work, then what you've done can be called your own. (something like that, my Chinese translation skills are a bit rusty.) Look at Van Gogh!: www.redbubble.com/groups/paint…
Don't be afraid to post your results (even master copies, if you get permission from the artist, like this guy: fav.me/d4vzf3g ) and BE PROUD of what you have accomplished or how you have improved. If your work is too similar/obvious derivative, get permission from the original artist and credit them (I've done this before, and I can't imagine anyone who'd say "no").
The last two DDs I've received were of paintings I created when trying to learn from another artist's techniques; I'm a proud art student and proud to have created those works through "copying."
Whoops, that ended up longer than expected XD
Disclaimer: This applies to one process of learning how to draw better. I would not recommend copying for every piece you do. You may subconsciously limit your imagination/creativity too much from direct referencing.
A group of my friends booked a really nice Hilton about 20 min away from the convention. There is food within walking distance, and wifi. They still have spots for 2-3 people left (I believe you would share a queen sized bed with someone else) and it's pretty much all girls (so if you're a girl, you don't have to share with a guy or anything) - and it's approximately $130 total for 4 nights starting from Day 0 (which is really cheap!).
I can personally vouch for their integrity, though the rooms may be chaotic since they're cosplayers! But, if you need a room for AX 2013 www.anime-expo.org/ , do send a note to GuoBia! You can get more details from her!
Side note: Yes I'll be going to AX again this year; will post table number when I get 'em!
Hey guys! long time no see - sorry for disappearing, life sorta sucked me into a black hole and didn't spit me out since Dec. > < Haven't checked dA for awhile; I'm really really sorry for all the stuff I'm late on OTL;; A quick update about my life - battled art block for quite a long time and general post-grad listlessness; I was sucked into taking care of my 80+ grandmother for almost 2 months, and then had to deal with some more family and real life crap for awhile, and now my cousin's wedding. I'll check through notes and stuff soon -
Sorry for being late on my commissions > <
I am taking whatever free time I can get in between to finish obligations. I didn't want to post anything when I was still pretty much, all over the place, but now I'm pretty sure I've overcome my art block and I'm jumping back into things again. I'll be submitting some of the things I've been working on soon. Let me know if you want an update - if your commish is still in the sketch stage, and you want a refund, please note me! Otherwise, I PROMISE, YOU'LL SEE IT SOON!
Ignoring that my page has been overrun by Nutella for the moment...
NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. It is an INCREDIBLY fun approach to novel writing where all participants write a 50,000-word novel in 30 days. TODAY, ladies-n-gents, is the first day. You win NaNoWriMo by, well, reaching your 50,000 word goal by the last day of November. The best part is, a zillion people are also trying to do this same, so you have companions to help you as you suffer through the month! Reaching the goal (or failing) is entirely based on the honor system, and it works.
I've never learned so much about writing than I did when I completed my first NaNoWriMo.
NaNoWriMo isn't just for writers - anyone who wants to participate, whatever your day job/night job - can do so! You can sign up mentally or, if you want to join the "official" NaNoWriMo community, you can do so here: nanowrimo.org and read up about the wonderful/terrible month of November where all us participants turn into masochists (as well as get awesome prep talks from published authors!). If you win, you also get a coupon to receive up to 5 free physical copies of your NaNoWriMo book! Awesome, right? :"D (here are the other things you can get: www.nanowrimo.org/en/offers)
ANYWAY-- if I'm not convincing, do click play on this video:
I'm participating this year and would be HAPPY to word war with anyone/get partners to kick each other into writing/and more.
Great (and active) dA groups relating to NaNoWriMo you can join:
Soon, you will realize that there are two types of NaNoWriMoers- the "by-the-seat-of-your-pants" writers and the "obsessive-compulsive-planners." Personally, I've always been the latter, but this year, I have decided to (gasp) be the former.
I don't know the plot, I don't know the characters, I don't know ANYTHING about what I'm going to be writing about or where I'm headed. All I know is how I want to write it. (And that it'll probably be fantasy.)
So anyhow, please, if you're interested, join me on this great journey of pulling your hair out, running around like a headless chicken, and having the best time of your life.
The funeral was on Wednesday.
A young man in his twenties stepped out of one of the black limousines parked at the front gate of Arbist Hill Cemetery.
He looked out of place.
It was not his age, though he was certainly the most youthful of the attendees, which is to say politely, that he looked at least two generations removed from the rest. It was not his umbrella, which he had carried out of the car and through the black iron gate, despite the lack of any rain in the vicinity and up to thirty-three miles from the cemetery. It was not his smile, which could have been a great reason since Christian, post-twentieth-century funeral proceedings in The Great American Southwest meant people actually did mournful revisiting of could-have-beens and should-have-beens instead of enjoying nice autumnal weather patterns.
No, none of those things made him out of place.
Perhaps it was his eyes. A humanist might declare that they were like a blind person's, the palest of blue and experiencing something entirely different from "the rest of us." A poet might look into them and claim he had no soul, none at all, and no one should be convinced otherwise. A woman might say that they represented the tragic mysteriousness of a man far removed from his time. A psychiatrist once did look at them and shrug.
The young man, having remembered that sunglasses helped, donned a pair of Cartier's. They did help, a little, and it was a sunny day.
He hoisted his umbrella over his head as he joined the line of very serious, very bowed, funeral attendees, all of whom did not have the presence of mind to notice his physical eccentricities. Instead, they noted his umbrella and most of them wrote it off as grief but all of them were too polite to point out the lack of physical rain in the vicinity and up to thirty-three miles.
If they had, they might have been told that elsewhere, it was raining.
Elsewhere was not the mortal plane.
And to those who I've gotten an opinion on this before- don't worry, I don't count this prologue as part of my NaNoWriMo word-count.
[HAIR] Platinum blond.
[EYES] Pale blue, like a blind person's, though he is not actually blind. The scarred right eye is a more discolored gray-blue. The scar has mostly healed into pale lines, but I choose to emphasize it with very thick/ropy/pink scar in my illustrations, as it's significant to his past. (Sometimes he is illustrated with yellow eyes- this does not occur in his canon story, but more AU when he is tapping dark powers.)
[AGE] 20s (doesn't really keep track)
[HEIGHT] 5' 10"
[BIRTHDATE] Unknown; Celebrates it at New Years.
[QUOTE] "Sic transit gloria mundi." So passes away earthly glory.
[OCCUPATION] (Officially) Archbishop of the Diocese of Venoa - address as "Your Grace"; administratively the Patriarch-in-Waiting
[PERSONALITY TRAITS] Gentle, absent-minded, scholarly, prideful || Cowardly, selfish, pessimistic, weary.
- Earrings: He wears a cross earring on his left ear. It used to be a part of the rosary his mother had, but he took apart the necklace and reforged it into a earring in honor of her. (Right ear is a simple men's hoop earring with a cross etched on, like this: pagoda.imageg.net/graphics/pro…)
- Rosary: When he first achieved the status of full Priest, Emriel gifted him this rosary. It is very dear to him.
- Silver signet ring: He wears it on the little finger of his left hand. It is his official ring for sending letters and approving documents of the branch of the Church he serves.
- Bible: A remnant of his acolyte days, it is a very old and worn, but very precious to him. One of the first gifts he received from Emriel.
- Lusien di'Conti, 3rd son, womanizer, and all-around useless man was his father. He had disgraced his family name because, unlike other bastards, Ilien had been born under the roofs of the di'Conti's main residence. And thus, he must be acknowledged under Lorencia tradition-- not as a true son, no, but taken into the family as a child with the family's blood. Lusien's indiscretion would be the cause of much of his son's childhood suffering.
- Though he was taught his letters with the rest of his legitimate cousins, Ilien was treated like a whipping boy by his tutors and shunned by the rest of his family. He found no solace in his mother, Reniza, who became a depressed drunk and soon committed suicide by hanging herself from the rafters of their home. Ilien was only six.
- He ran into one of the churches in town, and knelt at the altar, praying for his mother's soul, for he had been told that those who took their own life would burn in the fires of hell. Despair overtaking him, the six year old recalled an ancient myth and offered his right eye to God in hopes of preventing his mother's fate. Secretly, however, he wished to forget his childhood and for a new life away from the di'Conti family. He had a vision with a choice - a new life or his mother's safe conduct to Heaven. To his shame, his heart wanted the former. He got both. But he did not know if he had hallucinated the entire event.
- Ilien fainted at the altar from pain and blood loss, only to be discovered by the kindly Emriel di Luca, a humble deacon living in the church. Emriel took him in as a son and an acolyte of the Church. Ilien absolutely adored his new guardian, so much so that he rejected the di'Conti name and fashioned himself as the adopted son of Emriel, Ilien d'Emriel. Not long after, Emriel received summons from the Pope—he was to head the creation of a new Diocese in Venoa as the Patriarch. Of course, Ilien left with Emriel to take up their new task in Venoa. There, Ilien began a blessed life with his beloved new father.
- After Ilien was promoted to Priesthood, his rise in the ranks of the Church turned phenomenal. Soon, and unheard of in one so young of age, he was considered the best candidate for the Patriarchy of Venoa. Around this time, the di'Conti family began to recognize Ilien's influence and finally offered to acknowledge him as a true di'Conti. Ilien refused their missive (with pleasure).
- Ilien's meteoric rise in the ranks created quite a stir and many jealous tongues began wagging against him. Some claimed that he was an agent cursed by the Devil, that everything he touched appeared charmed... when it was hiding evil. Some said he was a coward and easily manipulated by the "darker" forces, that he was not at all as intelligent or well-spoken as rumor claimed. Rather, a shadowed puppet-master held the strings, constantly feeding him the right words to say, the right things to do.
- CURRENT: Many continue to fear him and his influence across the country. He seemed so young, yet to be so connected! He must not be allowed to rise any further.
- Right-handed when writing, uses left hand for everything else. (Probably born left-handed and forced to learn to write with right hand.)
- Practically blind in scarred eye, near-sighted in the other.
- Can snuff out candles with his thumb and forefinger.
- Can peel an apple in one long continuous peel (and without cutting himself). Can make apple bunnies :"D www.ohdesserts.net/images/reci…
- Enjoys whistling, humming, and dabbling in organ music.
- It is traditional in Lorencia for priests to cover one of their arms and hands completely (whichever their dominant hand/or the one they use to pray, hold communion, touch the Bible, touch their rosaries) because that is the arm that serves God. Thus, Ilien's alb has a maniple-like sleeve on the left side
- His entire outfit is derivative of traditional liturgical vestment worn by Catholic priests - with alb, girdle/cincture, maniple and stole. He will gain a chasuble once he ascends to Patriarch.
- Lorencia and the di'Contis were inspired by Italy and the de'Medicis.
So I think I finally cleared my over900 backlog of replies/reading etc. (
though I haven't gone through the 1400 backlog of comments yet). Sorry if I haven't responded to them for so long (and now I can't cause it would be super awkward...), and so sorry for my lack of activity/responses. I miss you guys a lot!! And I'm such an AWFUL RPer, I deserve to rot in the RP dungeon of hell forever and forever. But I finally got through reading all of them and being touched again by all your nice comments, and the ones from my friends (you know who you are >w<), so thank you all again and again! I miss dA a lot but I'm still trying to figure out what I am gonna do with my life @__@;
And I've been keeping busy planning my personal art book. I'll probably make a poll about it soon. I'm considering using kickstarter for it but they take a lot (10% o_o!) so I'm not totally sure yet. There will probably be goodies/rewards for pre-ordering (like exclusive brush packs and high-res wallpapers) since I really need capital in order to make it ; ; so far, including the 3 guest artists, it's turning out to be around 60 pages.
I've been having lots of fun sketching your chars! I know I posted the journal "sketching day 5" many days ago, but I thought that maybe once a week might be better for you guys, less posting, and I'll just pick people from that journal for the rest of the week since I couldn't get to everyone who inspired me. I'll probably sketch a few more before sunday and send out the notes >w< I'm really happy about all the response!
And finally, I've been super busy this month and last month everyday editing and working on a corporate contract for some artwork. Even though it's really frustrating and I don't quite like the style, I think I learned a lot from the experience. Plus, the game will be coming out on mobile phones soon (apple and android) and it's free to play the beginning/trial, so I'll advertise it when it comes out! >w<
Anyway, I rarely post these life-ish-updates, so you get cookies for reading through this WALL OF TEXT LOL;;
TLDR; Hope everyone is doing good >w< I'm open to conversation/whatever in the comments :"D