. . . at the mare version of the new pattern. I'm taking photos for the tutorial today, and wanted to share! I made the first pattern a looong time ago and it was the first tutorial I ever made, so I think I can do much better now. This one will have a mare, stallion and foal version, with wings and horns, and lots of nitty gritty info on selecting fabrics and how to read patterns and so on, and will be a nice printable pdf file rather than a picture.
This one looks very similar proportion-wise to the pattern I'm currently using. That idea for using two halves that seam down the middle on the stomach is interesting - I might have to try that on my pattern, it looks like it might be a lot easier to align and sew.
I find splitting the gusset is a little more work, but it saves on fabric because you've got more freedom to position smaller templates, and then you have that nice turning opeing right down the center.
I've worked out a way to get minimal waste on the pattern I use as of right now anyway, so that's not so much an issue, but the turning opening is a good idea, especially if you're planning on giving the ponies a wire skeleton, like I've been thinking of implementing in order to make them poseable.
Yeah, you usually need a pretty big opening along the back to stick a skeleton in there. I've been thinking of trying a loc-line skeleton but I haven't been able to find anywhere nearby that sells them.
I just have to say that learning to sew is surprisingly easy! Usually a few google searches will get you where you need to go, and all the stitch types you need can also be googled. I was only taught to put two rectangles together to make pillows and now I'm making plushies thanks to the internet!