I have a section about commissions and a separate FAQ in my jewellery blog , and a link to my blog on my dA page (in my DeviantId), and yet I receive at least one inquiry a day about these things. Perhaps the link isn't obvious enough? What do you think? Also, there's a link to my Etsy shop in the description of every pendant that I submit to the dA and yet get inquiries about prices and availability all the time.
I decided to post the commissions rules and FAQ here, so it may reach more people. I hope you'll find it helpful.
Commissions and custom orders
I accept commissions, but not all of them. Here are the rules:
- Please DO NOT ask me to make a piece exactly the same as one I had made before and has been sold. I only create unique items. I can however make something similar and within the same style: either the colour would be different, or the type of bead, type of wire, size etc.
- When I create the commission piece for you, I will sell it to you ONLY via my Etsy shop. It is to prevent potential payment/shipping problems and for the safety of both the buyer and the seller. I can however omit this rule if you live in the Dublin (Ireland) area. Email me and we’ll figure something out to spare you the shipping cost. Also if you know me personally, you will know what to do
- Please be advised, that sometimes what people want is impossible for me to make. For example, you say “I want this but in pink instead of red”, and the type of bead used in the piece you want just doesn’t come in pink, so there’s no way for me to get it anywhere. I’ll also probably protest if what you want I think will look bad. I can give you advice as to what colours you probably should or shouldn’t be wearing (on request).
- Sometimes you will have to wait a few weeks if I don’t have a particular type of bead or wire you requested in your item; I’ll have to order it first, get it shipped to me, and then create the piece.
- I will NOT reduce the price of the item especially for you. This is what I do for a living. How would you feel if I went to your boss and told him you make too much money and you should be paid less for what you do?
- Also, please send all commission requests by email or as a dA note, NOT as comments to this or any other page. The request comments will be removed. I do not wish to discuss my business in public.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are not only the questions I get during my online activity, but also in real life.
Q: Where did you learn to make jewellery?
A: I’m a self learner.
Q: NO WAY! You must have read a book, or a tutorial or sth!
A: Uh, no. The fact that some people use books or youtube to learn stuff from doesn’t mean that everybody has to.
Q: What wire do you use?
A: Usually copper wire, plated (silver, enamel etc) or bare, 0.8 or 0.9mm for base and 0.3mm for wrapping
Q: Where do you get your supplies?
A: Various online shops, mostly Ebay.
Q: Why don’t you use sterling silver wire, like all respectable jewellers?!!!!111oneone
A: Because I’d like my jewellery to be affordable. The prices of sterling silver wire and the amount of it I normally use, would make each piece over $150. Or more. And also I like enamelled wire, as it comes in many colours. Especially the gunmetal colour, which goes with steampunk style and is warmer than oxidized silver. Also, recently there have been changes in the An Post regulations (Post company in Ireland), and I wouldn't be able to ship sterling silver items abroad legally with registered mail. I want to avoid potential problems with missing shipments and no way to retreive them.
And most of all, why the hell should I do what everybody else does?
Q: Will there be more pendants of a kind that I want (hearts, skulls, cats, Cthulhus).
A: Yes, but not all in one time. I get a lot of requests for more heart pendants, and I manage to make 2 – 4 (5 -6 if I’m doing nothing else but this) per day, so please be patient and check out my shop on regular basis.
Q: Why don’t you make tutorials? We’d all like to learn your technique.
A: My technique is the basic wire wrapping technique plus some imagination, and it’s not the technique that makes my work recognizable, but ideas how to use it. Also, I don’t want people to copy my designs, so why should I help them do it? Again, this is what I do for a living, and if everybody else was able to do this, I'd be unemployed. And anyway, everything that I do is visible on the photos, there are no secret techniques, everything is just woven together with wire and that's it.
Q: So what should I do to be better at wire wrapping?
A: As with every other technique, discipline or anything: work more, make more stuff, you'll get there eventually. Nobody's a master at the first try.
Q: Why are your prices in Euro instead of USD?
A: Because I live and pay taxes in a country where Euro is an official currency.
Q: Why are your prices in Euro cheaper than the USD equivalent and why do the prices change every day?
A: Because of the currency exchange rate, which also changes every day. You can check the current rate here.
Q: Why is the shipping so expensive?
A: I can't help that. The cheapest registered letter in Ireland costs EUR 5.17. Also, add the price of a bubble envelope (about EUR 0.40).
Q: Do you ship stuff to $my_country?
A: I ship stuff anywhere as long as you can pay with PayPal.
Q: Where did you get that item from/did you make it all yourself?
A: I paid leprechauns to make it. Or I imagined it and made it with the force of my mind. Ohno, wait, I have an Excel macro...
Seriously, did you think I would submit stuff that somebody else made?