Time for a little update.
Actually, let’s be honest, more than a while since my last blog post on Deviantart was in May 2016. At the time, I mentioned that I was working on a new site and trying to fight the feature creep. The creep being me, as my endless overthinking and redesigning turned a simple implementation into a development quagmire. Long story short, in the end I survived this self-inflicted gauntlet and I can safely say that by the end of 2016, the site mechanics and layout were done.
Finishing the technical side of things freed up head-space to think about the actual goal of all this work again. You know, the story. So for the last few months I’ve been working on (re)writing the story and expanding the setting.
If you follow my nearly vegetative twitter, you might have noticed I’ve been doing some 3D modelling, starting with the Cathedral (because why start with something simple). I’ve been thinking about the use of 3D models for years and I’ve tried some half-hearted modelling a few years back, but now I’ve gotten into the swing of things with Blender, and I must say I am really liking the results.
However, I don’t intend to use the 3D models in the comic directly. Although I have seen this being done successfully in manga before (for instance in Ken Akamatsu’s work) I feel it would not be a good choice for Vreakerz. Rather than using the models directly, I’m going to use them in scene planning. Having an actual model makes it much easier to find fitting camera angles.
The 3D model for the cathedral is coming along nicely and I’m going to start sharing some of my progress here on Deviantart and Twitter.
Aside from learning to work with Blender, I’m also trying to switch from Photoshop to Clip Studio Paint, as Adobe’s software-as-a-service approach just isn’t my cup of tea. I’ll probably upload some horrible first tries in the coming weeks.
So, that’s about it.
Oh, and I’m still amazed that some of you remember Vreakerz, even after a decade.