OK so... here she is. There was a very positive response two weeks ago to a 'dream version
' of what Amanda might look like in her late 20's (inspired by a picture I found, and the film La Femme Nikita). So I thought it right and proper to offer a more detailed look at 'Adult Amanda', as the vote
decided we should call her.
Using Morphs I have worked carefully to progress Amanda's appearance to an age between 25 and 29; I don't like to say 'ageing' her, it's more a case of making her 'less young'. Her features are more defined and, I am hoping you will think, more elegant. Gone is her simple centre-parted bob and now she has what we'd call an actual hairstyle, with a cut fringe and side parting.
She doesn't only look different: she is different. Five years on from graduating, Amanda is an independent, confident, successful, professional woman. She's much less introverted, geeky, idealistic - and much of her innocence has been replaced by pragmatism. She sometimes looks back on her days as a girl detective with a small amount of embarrassment, not least for some of the epic fails that accompanied her occasional successes. And some of the things that happened to her were more than a little traumatic - she doesn't like to revisit them. She's past all that now. Outgrown it.
Ha - or so she thinks!
As befits Amanda's new confidence, I searched hard for a 'grown-up' outfit, then it became obvious that Adult Amanda was fine to pose in her underwear. And it seemed as good a place as any to start.
So what does this mean? Is Adult Amanda going replace the one we know?
Most of the stories I want to tell relate to Amanda's college years, which are still NOW, the present day, and always will be. We likewise have a window back into her High School days in the unnervingly popular form of Young Amanda
, who will star in some new Choose Your Own Adventures soon. In fact, it was the level of interest in Young Amanda that made me want to explore Amanda's future as well as her past. It's kind of like those flash forwards they did in Lost, though without being infuriatingly confusing. I have a hunch that for everyone that likes Amanda as a school girl, there are some people who want to see her grown up, wearing some classy suits or dresses, and in even more perilous peril.
Oh yes - you didn't think that Adult Amanda was going to live a boring, safe life did you? It's not about what she thinks she wants, or has to pretend she is. She's still 100% the same girl, and adventure will find her even if she tries to avoid it. And, not to forget, Amanda's enemies are restless: her past has a habit of catching up with her...
So, let me know what you think.
- Do you welcome these occasional glimpses into Amanda's future? Or prefer not to know? Do you want to keep her forever at college? Does this add something to her or take something away?
- Big question... what kind of job does Amanda do? Is she working in a high-powered business career (as you might expect from a first class Harvard Graduate?) Or is she an academic still around a college? Or, did she enter law enforcement... in an official or unofficial capacity? Did she use her acute powers of investigation to go into journalism? Or what about something way out like she's an actress? (why do I feel this is like when I used to play Amanda in The Sims and max out career paths?!?)
- What do you think of her Amanda's adult appearance? How old do you think she looks? Hair, good or bad?
- How would you like to see her dress? Those denim cut-offs and tied shirts are gone, left behind with those carefree student days. A bit more glamour is on the way. Amanda can afford decent clothes now.
- Do you think she is still friends with Ciara, Kat, Hannah... or have they drifted apart?
- What kind of adventures would you like to see her in?
You are welcome to say whatever you like as long as it's not rude! She's my character but also yours too. I know opinions will differ and not everyone will welcome change. Remember though, she's the same person 100%. And I think she's entitled to a future just like the rest of us.
Please use the comment box below to tell me your thoughts.*Footnote 1. This look for Amanda was inspired by the final scene in Alien. If you're old enough to remember Ripley climbing into that space suit, dressed in her underwear, whispering "you are my lucky star" then you will know what I mean, and good on you.
*Footnote 2. This picture was made with Daz Studio 3, Adobe Photoshop CS2 and a time machine.