Below is our best attempt at explaining what tokotas are and what awesomeness you can get up to with them! Tokotas is a large and active group with lots to do, so we recommend you read this journal in chunks rather than trying to get through it all at once for best results.
First of all, what are these things?
Tokotas are giant mammals similar to bear-dog hybrids. They're rideable and come in lots of different shapes and colors. They can be used for in-game events like activities, breeding, and shows, or kept as a personal OC, or both!
Tokotas are not free to create; you must purchase, win, breed, or be gifted one in-game.
Our number one priority is to make Tokotas as inclusive as possible, as well as being fun for all members! There are ZERO minimum activity rules (you will not be kicked out for being inactive), ZERO reference rules, and ZERO reclaim rules and everyone is allowed to join and participate - no matter your language, age, or artistic / writing level! To officially join the group, you will need to have been a member of dA for at least one full month, and have some art or literature uploaded in your gallery. You can still get your first Tokota without becoming a member, and you do not need a Tokota in order to join!
To go into more detail on what tokotas are, check out the Species Information journal, otherwise read on to learn how to get one!
How do I get one?
There are lots of ways to get a Tokota! You can claim one for free as a brand new member at the Adoption Center, or trade with other members using art, DeviantArt points, USD, or other currencies!
Remember that Tokotas are NOT free to create and you must get an official tokota from the group or a member, not make one yourself.
Ways to get a tokota
- Adoption Center - The easiest way to get a Tokota as a new member is through the Adoption Center! Here you can place a claim on an un-designed tokota and, if you win it, design it to your liking and get it accepted into the group. It's completely free to anyone who doesn't own anything tokotas related, but the whole process can take several weeks.
- Purchase From Member - If you're interested in a faster turnaround you can purchase tokotas directly from other members. This can take one of two forms:
- You can purchase an already-uploaded tokota (you can always change its personality and name to suit your tastes)
- You can purchase an undesigned tokota genotype (like a blueprint for what it will look like)
- Taming - If you're feeling adventurous you can attempt to tame a wild tokota! These are released infrequently and lots of members will also be trying to tame them, making it difficult to win, but the tokotas up for taming are generally rarer / more desirable.
- Semi-Custom - Sometimes Tokotas admins will sell semi-customs, allowing you to purchase a custom tokota made to your specifications (within limits). These are not set to any specific release schedule and go quickly, but start at a base price of $10 and can be a good way to get what you want easily.
- Breeding - The most complicated method to get a tokota is through breeding, but it can allow you to try and get your dream tokota (with a little luck). To breed you must find two tokotas (one male, one female) and either buy or be gifted permission to breed them together by their owners. You submit the breeding to the group and in return you'll get a litter full of genotypes for you to keep or sell as you choose. You can learn more about the breeding process here!
Things to keep in mind
- You must have proof of ownership of a genotype in order to have a tokota uploaded by admins, so make sure you hold onto the link that leads to the breeding comment of the genotype!
- It's common practice to complete the Rites of Fertility to earn a tokota's Arms of Akna award (sometimes called AoAs) in return for a slot, but otherwise be sure not to buy slots to a tokota without its AoAs, as this is against group rules.
- Consider taking screenshots after making a deal, sending payment, etc. This will help the group sort the situation out more efficiently if a complication arises!
So what is a genotype?
Your tokota's genotype is the recipe for what it will look like! The particular order of letters tells you what genes the tokota has, and by layering these markings on top of each other you'll end up with a lovely tokota.
To get an idea of what a geno might look like, you can paste the phenotype into the TotemSpirit gallery, where all tokotas are uploaded to. This will bring up examples of how other members have designed similar genos.
For additional genetic resources, try the following links:
- Breeding and Genotypes Guide - Explains genotypes and how to breed for a specific coat or marking.
- Genetics, Mutations, and Reproduction - Explains all the Tokota markings, mane types, and more.
- Design Den Hub - Breaks down the specifics of each marking.
Okay, I've bought a genotype. What now?
If you have an official genotype, the next step is to design it and have it uploaded by admins to the import account, TotemSpirit. Keep in mind that you may not breed or use your Tokota in the group until it is posted by TotemSpirit. Additionally you are not permitted to upload the design to your gallery - if you do you will be required to take it down.
- If you have purchased a genotype and wish to design it yourself, click here to find out how to design your Tokota.
- If you wish to have one of our official Design Den designers design it for you, click here. This is free but may not always be open!
- If Design Den is closed and/or you would like to have another member design it, you are welcome to use the advertisements folder to look for people offering or to ask! Prices differ depending on the artist.
What can I do once my tokota is uploaded?
Congratulations! If you've made it this far, you're now an official tokota owner!
If you're interested in chatting with other members and possibly expanding your pack, you may want to check out the Tokotas skype chat! Everyone is welcome!
You can also develop an optional handler/rider.
If you have just bought a designed Tokota and would like to change their name, personality, or health status, go to Import & Ownership Changes!
About the Group
There are lots of aspects to the group beyond just owning a tokota.
General Group Information
Who can I talk to if I'm having problems with someone/something?The group is big and it may look a bit intimidating, but the admins are here to make sure you are satisfied and have an approachable place to go if problems arise. Please send a note to the group and we will respond ASAP! If you are having a problem with an admin, please feel free to send a note directly to Barking-Birds or NorthPaws. All complaints will remain 100% anonymous.
Tokotna.com which allows you to store all your items in your bank account, transfer and trade items with other members, view and edit details of your tokotas, craft items and much more. All of these cool features on tokotna allow for instant tokota and item transfers, instant crafting and instant purchases. The Tokotas in-game currency is called "Toko Tokens" or "TT". These can be redeemed for many cool and beneficial items featured in our in-game store The Trading Post which is located on the Tokotna website. Toko Tokens can be earned mainly from redeeming the prey and items gained via activities at the TT Bank. To get started with your own Tokotna account head on over to the Account Management journal and follow the instructions on that journal and the Tokotna.com registration page.
Additional questions? Feel free to ask below in the comments!
[OLD] Import Backgrounds
This journal is out-of-date and no longer updated! Please check the Import Backgrounds Guide on Tokotna for current information! Tokotna is a unique and diverse place, which is reflected in our import backgrounds. Whether your Tokota is a special holiday Tokota or one that likes to explore, what better way to show it off than the background that accompanies your Tokota. From the unique surroundings of the wild Tokotas to the heart of Tokotna itself, you will find what you are looking for here. Each set below has a specific set of rules to go with it, make sure you read them carefully before you select the perfect background for your Tokota.
Easter Egg Hunt 2020 [Closed]
Get Into the Easter Spirit! The snow is finally melting and Tokotna is alive with the sights, sounds, and smells (who doesn't love the smell of mud in the morning?) of spring. Everytoko is excited because the first signs of spring also mean that the Eastoko bunny will soon be hippity-hopping on his way to Tokotna. There is lots to do to prepare for his visit! This year, you can choose from 2 different Easter activities: Egg Hunt or Chickens vs Rabbits! Participation Prize: Participate in either or both activities, and you will receive: 1 x Easter Critter Carrier (Limit of 1 per person) Easter Event i
News and Updates
05/14/20 Hi everytoko! :new: Activities are also open! Please remember when you purchase an uploaded tokota that their activity tracker does not automatically switch over to any tracker you may have set. You must set up your tracker on that tokota once it belongs to you! -Islua Design Central is now open! Thank you all so much for your patience while we cleared. We have hired some more DC staff, and are training even more, so your designs should be gotten to faster soon enough. Again, you'll be able to continue using a free Sikrinerk or Borga stone background with each submission to DC this month (Import Edits excluded - this is only
Dr. Gaskin's Laboratory - CLOSED
Art by Mizie-Wolf (https://www.deviantart.com/mizie-wolf) Witness the Fruits of Your Labor! Sivoganik watches your distress drinking in all the dismay you generate from being tricked by the Evil Dr. Gaskin. After a few minutes they cackle again loudly, claws flexing in the dead bark of the trees before leaping. The multi-eyed form lands near you, then green and white smoke swirls around them from nowhere parting to reveal Dr. Vio Gaskin standing before you. She takes a deep bow before mocking you, "That was hilarious, such a good meal for me. I can't believe you never caught onto the name...hahaha...alright I'll go unlock the gate now. Let's get this show on the road." General R
Featured in Groups