This was meant to be an elliptical hoop, that didn't turn out, so its round, I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out though.
Well done! I'll bet that with the right fabric combination cut in certain lengths and then layered similar to petticoats, you could get a bit of an elliptical shape with a fuller back trailing behind instead of just round. The trick would be the weight ratio of the fabric so it doesn't push the front forward too much. With your talents, I think you could pull that off.
Thank you, I did some altering to the hoop for a nicer bell shape. I attempted to create fullness toward the back by adding extra ruffles to the petticoat back there, unfortunately it came with a whole new set of problems, when put on, the weight from the back pushes the hoop toward the front, my solution now is to sew weights into the petticoat front to prevent it from coming up in the front.
Yeah. That's one thing I always wondered about period clothing. With so much fullness of layers upon layers of heavy fabric and petticoats for the back and the bumroll underneath they used for the hips and buttox, there had to have been weight to the front to balance it out or the entire full back would have been pointless.
I never thought about it until the last ballgown I made, it has the problem of pushing front to back. I confess to coming up with an unconventional solution: I purchased heavy 3/4" washers from the flea market, I intend to sew them into the front of the petticoat hem to counterweight. Wish me luck. I'm sure though the boning of the 1860's was of a heavier material than mine.