Origin Prompts: Create your Esk's story
Writing must be 800 words or longer unless otherwise specified.
Comics, crafts, animations, photo-manipulations, and other media are all acceptable but may need scoring assistance from the TWWM team. Since these types of submissions are so variable, they may need to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine if they qualify as Origin Prompt submissions. If you have an idea for an Origin Prompt and are not sure how it may be scored or whether it will meet the prompt requirements, please send us a group note and we will help you out!
Finished Origin Prompt entries must be submitted to the Origin Prompts folder.
Commissions and collaborations are now accepted!Only the owner of the esk whose story is being told will collect the Origin Prompt AP bonus. If you collaborate you do not get to split the Origin Prompt bonus, and you cannot combine your character's Origin Prompts into one submission — you still have to do one submission per character per prompt to apply the bonus.
Some Origin Prompts have new, unique requirements!We hope to encourage unique approaches to these prompts, have fun with the revised prompts!
Must use player esk as creator: player made transformations, must use esk that preformed transformation
Must use NPC as creator: Greenhouse and Wanderer MYO, must used specified Wanderer as creator
Can use NPC or player esk as creator: premades won from events, purchased premades, nursery MYOs, customs, MYOs won in raffles or wellsprings
The esk lore and prompts are intended to provide a starting point for your stories and are always open to personal interpretation. Not all esk are the same and not all esk have the same types of transformation stories, so feel free to build on these prompts in the way that best suits your character. Sometimes the prompts here need to be modified in order to fit a narrative or match the lore — for example, if your esk was created by the Seventh they might have no recollection of the event or realized what was going on because of how the Seventh does its transformations, so you may want to make some unique interpretations of the prompts below like "Meeting the Esk" and "The Transformation."
You are also allowed to leave your esk's creator a mystery if they are unknown in your story. You can depict them as a mysterious force, shadowy figure, unusual presence, or other indirect way.
1. Original FormShow us who your esk was before they were transformed.
2. Losing Their WayShow us how they went missing.Did they physically go missing or did they get lost mentally, emotionally or spiritually? What location were they in? If they were not a human or animal, how did the other esk find the object and why did they decide to transform them?
3. Meeting the EskShow us their encounter with the esk that transformed them.If the character is a Transformation or Story MYO then you must use the esk character that was used to create the MYO in this prompt. If you have a Starter, premade or custom you are allowed to partner up with another player to use their esk in your backstory.
4. The TransformationShow us what happened when they were transformed.What did it look and feel like? Where did it take place?
You can show the moments just before, during, or just after the Transformation.
If the character is a Transformation or Story MYO then you must use the esk character that was used to create the MYO in this prompt. If you have a Starter, premade or custom you are allowed to partner up with another player to use their esk in your backstory.
5. The OtherCreate a depiction of the esk that transformed them.
6. Their PurposeShow us how they feel about being transformed into an esk.What is their sense of purpose like in their new life? Did they become a Traveler or a Trespasser?
7. The ThresholdShow us the edges of their boundary.What did your esk find as they explored the limits of their new home? How did they perceive the change in energy as they left the source of their power?
8. Their HauntShow us the area of their boundary where they feel most at home.Where do they spend most of their time when they are in their boundary? Do they have any possessions or favorite locations?
9. Shaping their environmentShow us one way your esk has impacted their boundary.Have they taken on a role of guardian and done good deeds? Are they more like a haunting ghost or causing mischief? What sort of effect are they having on the habitat or residents there?
10. First time outside their BoundaryShow your esk exploring beyond their home.Where might they want to roam to?If they left their biome, how did that feel to them and how was their form or appearance affected?
11. Previous FormShow us who they were before they became an Abnormal.What did they look like before they were retransformed?
Reference sheets will be accepted. Score as a batch upload and then apply the Origin Prompt bonuses to batch as a whole. Background not required.
12. Changing Their PathShow us the turning point that led them to become Abnormal.Why did they want to be transformed again?
13. The OtherCreate a portrait of the esk that transformed them.Who was it that gave your esk their Abnormal transformation?
Backgrounds are not required for this prompt.
Poetry will be accepted. This prompt has a 250 word minimum, bundles accepted.
14. The InvitationShow us how your esk went about getting their transformation.Did they invite the other esk to give them the transformation? Or did the other esk approach first and made an offer? Did the other esk intervene?
15. Abnormal TransformationWhat did their re-transformation look like?What did it look and feel like? Where did it take place?
You can show the moments just before, during, or just after the Transformation.
16. Their purposeShow us how they now feel being re-transformedWhat is this esk's purpose going forward? What is important to them now that they have a new form? How do they feel about being transformed?
If you have a premade, custom esk, or an esk with no determined creator, such as a nursery or event myo esk, you can use another player's character or a Wanderer to be the one who transformed your esk.If another player's esk is featured as the creator of your character they will receive a crystal or mineral feature! You can read more about Transformation rewards in the Transformations page.
Comment on this journal by filling out the form below in order to claim your Transformation reward.
Transformation reward claim
Link: (link to origin prompt esk is used in)
Tracker: (of the esk that was transformed)
Creator: (link to the esk that preformed the transformation)
Reward: (include a mockup image or description of the reward. please make sure to follow the TF reward rules)
Using the MYO's creator in the story helps us maintain continuity in the esk narrative we are all building together and allows the game mechanics to be a meaningful part of the storytelling. This is especially valuable when it comes to Story MYOs.
Remember: if an esk is transferred to another player you get a clean slate with the Origin Prompts which allows you to rewrite their story, complete all the prompts, and claim the bonuses even if the previous owner did beforehand.
Monthly Prompts: A day in the life
January 2021Frozen overwhat does your esk do when their boundary becomes frozen over? do they thrive in the cold, or do they hibernate? do they wander their frozen world or make dens to hide from the chill? if your esk's boundary does not freeze - have they ever visited a place that does?
February 2021Ice skatehas your esk encountered ice before? show or write about a time your esk encountered something frozen over - were they able to ice skate, or did they sprawl like newborn fawn?
March 2021Revealedwith winter slowly thawing sometimes we find things we wouldn't expect peeking out from beneath the snow. what has your esk found after a snow melt? perhaps a lost object, or sprout heralding the spring?
April 2021Patienceits hard to be patient. whether you're waiting for the seasons to fully change, the flowers to bloom or something important to you; patience is always a difficult thing to wrestle with. show us, or tell us, about a time your esk needed to be patient.
May 2021RelaxationShow us your esk's favorite way to relax. Perhaps they have a special place they like to visit, or a specific thing they like to do. We all deserve some down time, including our esk!
June 2021Summer SolsticeAll around the world the days are getting longer as we head toward the summer solstice. many cultures have different beliefs regarding the solstice; how does your esk feel about it? is it just another day, or is it something magical? do they do anything to celebrate, or have any memories regarding the solstice? or do they hide away from the extended daylight, waiting for night to fall once more?
July 2021Long DaysEven though the solstice is past, the days are still long, and in half of the world it is quite hot! What does your esk do with all the extra daylight? What’s the climate like in their boundary this time of year and how do they feel about it?
August 2021Summer Stargazingwhats better to do on a warm summer night than sit and gaze up at the stars? does your esk have a favorite spot to simply sit and watch the constellations? how do they feel about the big night sky above them?
September 2021waterits everywhere - from the vast oceans to the swift rivers, stored hidden in cacti and frozen in glaciers. No matter where your esk is from there is water present in their environment somehow. how does your esk relate to water? do they have any strong feelings about it? how, or where, is water found in their boundary?
December 2020Winter cheer
You have 1 year to complete each Monthly Prompt, they do not have to be finished within the month when they are posted. You can do them as many times as you like within that time period.Once the prompt is replaced for the following year it will expire. For example: the December 2017 prompt will expire December 1st 2018 when the new December prompt is posted.
Previous prompts can be found in the prompts archive!
Have a suggestion for a new prompt?