Hello everyone! I know that progress with the two projects has been slow lately, and I’d like to apologize for that. However, I also have some really exciting news!
Recently I started a TAFE program for small business management. The reason I started this course was because I wanted to learn to manage the projects more efficiently- I wasn’t thinking of starting up a real business. However, I’ve been inspired by all the amazing artists who are part of the projects, and by the support of people in my class. After talking to the tutor of the class, I’d like to put forward my idea for a small business and I’d love to hear your opinion.
Some of you may remember that a while ago I was talking about putting together a magazine. The magazine would feature an assortment of art and craft related articles as well as original comics and manga from artists here on Deviantart. At the start, the magazine would probably be 100% digital, delivered as an e-book or PDF download. Depending on the amount of interest we would then consider making a printed version.
To pass the class, I need to show “proof of concept” that my business idea is a good one. The proof of concept is not about making money, but rather about showing that people are interested in the idea. So, I propose to put together the first issue of the magazine and give it out for free, both digitally and at conventions ( such as Supanova Brsibane this year). Inside the magazine would be instructions on how people could learn more about the project, including signing up to a mailing list. The proof of concept will be how many people join that list, or fave/watch/follow the magazine on social media, etc. Another aspect of the proof of concept would be how many artists are interested in being a part of the magazine now and in the future.
Because this first issue will be free, I won’t be able to give out any payments. Because of this, I’m not expecting anyone to create new content. If you would like to be a part of the magazine, simply give us permission to use a piece that you have already created, for example an artwork for the artbook projects, or any piece that you created for the patreon campaign. We are especially interested in finding some Australian artists, but anyone from anywhere in the world is welcome! You will be given full credit and there will be lots of information on how people can watch or follow you, so at the very least, you’ll get some free advertising!
Having said that, if you are one of the artists we contacted earlier about the possibility of creating a manga/comic for the magazine, we’d love to commission a short introduction to your piece. Please contact us with the price you would expect to be paid for 2-3 pages.
- If you’d like to help us by donating a piece for the first issue, please note us (Frills-Of-Justice) Also, if you’re interested in being part of the magazine in the future, let us know what prices you would expect to be paid. We will compare those prices with what our tutor recommends and hopefully find a fair price for everyone.
- If you’re interested in being part of the magazine, but you’d rather wait until the possibility of payments, simply comment below
- If you would be interested in buying this magazine, please also comment below, the more people interested, the more “proof of concept”! Lastly, I’d like to update everyone on our two current projects:
I’ve been saving up as best I can, and I should have the funds for Pink Parade by the end of this month. (In case you missed the notice earlier, a personal issue caused me to set back the date of printing)
As for the Princess Project, we are choosing the winner of the design contest based on our own preference and the votes on our facebook album. Which you can find here: www.facebook.com/media/set/?se…
The results will be up by the end of this week!
Thank you everyone for your time and support, all of this is only possible because of how many people have shown interest in our projects.
P.S:Just thought I'd add this here in case anyone was interested, this is the basic idea for what issue one will be like;
- The cover will feature artwork based on the winning design of the Princess Project design contest. Inside will also have the full artwork, the design, and the runner up designs. If the artist allows, there will be a short interview/article about the design. There will also be information about the project and what will be happening next.
-There will be one or two artworks from Sparkle Spectrum (providing that the artists give permission) and information about that project as well.
- If we find someone who is interested, there will be a “featured artist” interview where that artist can talk about themselves and their art.
- There will be some articles about art and craft projects, possibly some tutorials.
- If possible there will be short 2-3 page introductions to some manga/comics that will be part of the magazine.