It's been nearly a year and a half since I updated my journal and it's been I-don't-know-how-long since I posted art here, but in the meantime I got some very nice reactions from people - asking how or where I was, and encouraging me to go on with painting. Especially the last thing is important. My confidence in my work is going through violent mood swings all the time, and as a whole, Deviantart is not an encouraging place for what I do. According to the phase of my moodswing, I can understand that / I don't really care / it depresses me / or it makes me bitter & cynical. I'm not a fave addict, but every once in a while I like to know that my work is appreciated by more than a handful of people. If that happens, I'm perfectly willing to admit that a lot of my work is a total embarrassment, and that digital paintings of quaintly-dressed women from some imaginary country are the nichest of niche interests.
So I'm thankful to the nice people, most respected artists and dear friends for their, your, encouragement. Thank you. Thank you very much. Danke schön. Multumesc. Spasibo. Gracias para todo.
Please, if I'm getting bitter & cynical, remind me that I do it for my and your fun.
Just in case you'd care to know, what kept me away from this account was a lot of work (still there), some minor but very irritating health trouble (practically gone, touch wood) and computer trouble (I might return to that). Plus the kind and supportive :devthrandall: had given me a big commission that I wanted to finish first of everything.SO...?
As you may have noticed, I've put a lot of my work in storage, and some of it has come out of it. Actually, I'd like to go through my gallery, store the really hopeless and improve work where this is possible. I'm not sure where it will go, the important thing is to paint.FOR THE PROPELLOR HEADS: HELP!
Main plague when it comes to painting were and are my computers. Although I'm preferring the Mac for most things, I prefer to do digital painting in Paintshop Pro, which is exclusively a Windows program, and on a big 24 inch screen. However, while my Macs just work and do they're supposed to do, my PCs have been a pain in a dark place. The previous one was a bad mix of components and sounded much like a vacuum cleaner during normal activity. My current one, a two year old dual core from Hewlett Packard goes into a kind of sloth on Monday and Thursday mornings. When it gets out
of that sloth varies. It's Thursday now and I haven't had any proper use from it all the working week. It's much like it's doing diskfragmenting - everything goes very, unworkably slow and there's constant disk activity.
- Virus? I keep my Norton up to date and I've run several other virus & rootkit scanners. The whole thing goes on if I unplug my PC from the network and the web.
- Windows diskfragmentation? Why so often? And anyway, I've gone to the task scheduler and moved it to the middle of the night (I leave my machine nearly always on.)
- Disk optimisation? Tell me where I can switch this off and I will. If this is the culprit, it's surely the lamest Windows feature ever, as far as I'm concerned. The few milliseconds of quicker file access surely don't compensate for loosing hours while the HD is rattling away for no particular purpose.
- Wipe the HD clean and re-install everything. I love doing that. Not.
It means saving lots of files (did I mention that my set up is also terrible at copying/moving lots of files? no I didn't.) I'm also a registration-key-loss-phobiac. Well, I'd do it if I was sure it helped.
- Buy a Mac mini that's more up to date than my current one (on which I'm typing this), install Windows and Paintshop Pro on it under bootcamp. Or learn to paint using Photoshop. This solution is emotionally more appealing (especially the part where I'll throw my discarded PC from my second floor window) but it costs a lot of money.
- Other solution?FEATURES
And best of all...
These friends feature work of other artists regularly (though not necessarily in every journal):
These deviants do features in their journal, and are Deviant-Arcade supporter:
_______________________________________________________________TO DO LIST
portrait DONE (Still have a few weird ideas left though...)
2. Tribal portrait (with powgrl
3. Something with a clown. Not a selfportrait though.
4. Something with a saree, inspired by ~silber-stock's pictures.
5. New version of If the Summer Turned to Winter, based on criticism
6. A wallpaper of mock-up Nadirstani documents.
7. A "Hidden Lover III" deviation.
8. A deviation based upon some of Moonchilde-Stock
9. Something with trains.
Not necessarily coming in this order. Response to this list will be welcome, like all comments to my work.
Clubs, quirks and allegiances: