My Thoughts on Aya and ChihayaThis is an entry about my feelings towards Aya and Chihaya, OC's that were created by :iconaster144: and are well-known through the artwork of :iconsaverart:. It has been four years since I discovered Saver's work through finding the story "Diving Girls" on Aster's site, so I thought I would share my thoughts on the two lovely fictional ladies that have become two of my favorite fictional characters.
Over the years, Aya and Chihaya have captured my heart, more so than any other OC in the underwater community (though this certainly isn't to say the underwater community has no other good OC's!). I have wondered about why they've captured my heart the way they did and have come up with a few points.
Aya and Chihaya are very close to one another. The way they playfully joked around after surfacing in "Five Minute Summer" just before teasing the photographer and pushing him overboard has to be one of the most charming experiences I've ever had while reading fiction; it's r
1. How long have you been on DeviantArt?
I’ve been a member for only about seven months.
2. What does your username mean?
My username is a reference to Richard Childress Racing – the number 3 in the title is a reference to Dale Earnhardt’s number when he was still alive.
3. Describe yourself in three words.
Studious, observant, and smart.
4. Are you left or right handed?
I am right-handed.
5. What was your first deviation?
Do journal entries count? If so, while my first deviation was technically a brief introductory journal entry (and I use the term introductory very loosely), my first “deviation” besides my intro was a journal talking about a fictional auto racing series I have worked on offline. You can read it here:
2014 Zevia Truck Series Review: Aya and ChihayaUp front, I would like to point out that none of the characters in this fictional biopic are mine and I am not affiliated with any real-life businesses mentioned in this piece of fiction. Aya Isuzu and Chihaya Natori were created by :iconaster144: and :iconsaverart:, and all real-life racing teams mentioned are (c) NASCAR. See the bottom of this entry for more copyright information.
A Brief Primer - What is the Zevia Truck Series?
Since I was a kid, auto racing has been a creative conduit for organizing my entertainment interests. Which car certain fictional characters had or what role they took on in any given fictional scenarios I put them in was my way of loosely organizing my tastes in fiction based on various criteria from my opinion of them to their status in their original stories. These exercises also resulted in me looking up more information about characters to better understand how to organize my endeavors. The Zevia Truck Series - part of a larger collection of racin
6. What is your favourite type of art to create?
I don’t know to what extent my own writing can be considered art since it is often from a more concrete standpoint, but writing is my main stock and trade.
7. If you could instantly master a different art style, what would it be?
8. What was your first favourite?
It was the first part of a story called “Five Minute Summer” which features my favorite OCs of all time, Aya and Chihaya (who also are some of my favorite fictional characters of all time).
9. What type of art do you tend to favourite the most?
Anime-related and underwater art make frequent appearances in my favourites.
10. Who is your all-time favourite deviant artist?
11. If you could meet anyone on DeviantArt in person, who would it be?
12. How has a fellow deviant impacted your life?
While this started before I was a deviant myself, the work of wave-lens and Aster144 played a role in an important part of my life to date; their work was a part of a major shift in my personal taste away from a more pessimistic worldview I held as a teenager. Later on, the impact of their art was further solidified when Aster144 positively commented on my journal entry (entries?) about his OCs Aya and Chihaya – it felt wonderful to have the attention of one of my favorite artists.
13. What are your preferred tools to create art?
Microsoft Word 2007 (yeah, my computer’s getting old) is usually what I use to compose my writing, so I guess there’s that…
14. What is the most inspirational place for you to create art?
I never really thought of that, though driving through my town can be pretty inspiring. I haven’t written anything while in a car or anything, but it still is more inspirational than my bedroom…
15. What is your favourite DeviantArt memory?
Communicating with Aster144 after I finished my two entries about Aya and Chihaya was my favorite moment on this site. It was especially uplifting since it helped me break out of a bout of depression I was enduring at the time.
…and that’s it, pretty much.
1. Who, in your opinion, is your most favorite OC (if any)?
If this question is referring to my own OCs, I don't have any, so I cannot answer from this perspective.
However, if we are going to talk about my favorite OC (or OCs) that other people created and own, then my favorites by far would be Aya Isuzu and Chihaya Natori, two characters created by Aster144 and well-known through the illustrations of wave-lens. These two characters are a joy to see together (as my prior journal entry here makes quite clear) and they are some of the most fascinating OCs I have heard about. The stories Diving Girls and Five Minute Summer really illustrate just how much fun and enjoyment a writer can bring their audience with their characters.
2. How does your favorite OC compare with your most popular OC (if they aren't the same)?
Well, I haven’t created any OCs myself nor have I adopted any, so I cannot say.3. What about your least favorite OC - the last of your own creations you think about?
See the prior questions.
4. What was your very first real obsession? It could be anything, from games to movies, etc. ...
My first obsession was Pokemon. Back when I was eight, Pokemon was my life, and I rekindled some of my love for Pokemon when I read the Pokemon Adventures manga (a.k.a. PokeSpe) in high school.
5. Do you watch teh JanTranz? :bademoticon:
Um…no…no, I don’t…
6. Have a favorite character in general? Again, he/she could be from anything.
I have a few favorite characters, really. Aya and Chihaya, the OCs I mentioned in question one, are tops. Other than those two lovely ladies, Akemi Homura from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Riella Marcellis from Valkyria Chronicles 3, Strong Bad from the Homestar Runner website, and Mio Sakamoto from Strike Witches are big names from among the many fictional characters I love and can call a favorite of mine.
7. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
I would have super intelligence. That stuff is pretty awesome.
8. Are you an amiibo collector? If so, what do you do with them, if anything?
I’m not into amiibos. My gaming interests are firmly grounded in JRPGs and older sports sims and racing games like Madden NFL 2002 and most of the Need For Speed series.
9. Do you use emoticons at all?
Why, yes, I do use emoticons!
I usually only use them here on DeviantArt, though...
10. What's your favorite...breakfast...cereal?Cascade Farms Cinnamon Crunch is my favorite breakfast cereal. To be honest, though, I’m not the biggest fan of cereal in the first place. My forte is more in the realm of energy drinks and protein drinks. Hooray for RTD 51 and West Coast Chill!