Since sooo many people seem to be "NEW" to the micro world, and with the growing number of straight up art theft(s) I've noticed, here's a FRIENDLY REMINDER of what typically is and isn't acceptable.
1) DO NOT post someone else's micro on your DA account, you didn't make it and if it's not posted on DA, the artist probably doesn't want it here
2) DO NOT post someone's work and change like 2 small things, like sticking your own hair on it or adding an accessory. Still art theft!
3) DO NOT use ANY pieces of an artist's micro if they have it stated on DA or another forum NOT TO USE ANY OF THEIR PARTS. I see poor
stuff constantly and he doesn't allow that except with explicit permission. If you have it, state so!
4) DO use items from the template pages. If you find templates posted on DA or micro forums, those are pieces you're free to use!
5) DO give credit where it's due. If an artist said you can use their micro or a part of that, be nice and state so in the description and save yourself from the flames!
6) DO NOT stick someone's micro before a background, or re-color and call it "your work" without permission. Like #2, it's theft!
7) DO try to remember, everyone starts off learning how to micro and it takes time to achieve what certain artists have. Don't be ashamed of your beginner micros!
8) PRETTY PLEASE DO NOT develop an attitude or become nasty if another member tries to politely educate you on these common courtesies or tags the original artist. No one will have beef with you if you cry mea culpa, and fix the error; we all want to be friends.
I'm REALLY trying not to be mean or a bossy b*tch by posting this, and if I over stepped my bounds, forgive me. But I think a lot of people in the micro community will agree that we work very hard on our micros, spending great effort and time. We take pride in our works and it's both infuriating and saddening when our work is abused.
Love to all!