Latest Update: April 9, 2021 (added submission guides about status updates, new info is marked by stars ★★) First of all, we're proud to be one of those few working groups left on dA!
We felt it was just about time to submit a shorter rules journal so it's easier to read.
The old rules
journal is still valid
in case you want to read something more in-depth, this is just a shorter version that has been designed to be a faster read.
RULE 1: CONTENT/ SUBJECT MATTER (check out rules #1, #3, and #9 on old journal) Firstly, this is a Family Friendly group. A LOT of what we don't accept is because of our goal to have art that all ages can look at in our gallery and not be accosted by material that they would deem unacceptable for young children to see. There is also a number of things we don't accept because we refuse to allow our members to be subjected to hostile or unwelcoming experiences. We feel this only enhances the quality of the art submitted as it requires artists to become more creative in their work and provides our group watchers with a more wholesome and wonderful art experience. Still, other things are not allowed because we feel they keep our art feed at a higher quality. With that in mind, DO NOT submit these things to the group as they will be DECLINED without explanation;
Nude photography, Cosplay, Selfies, Overtly Sexually Promiscuous Imagery or Writing, Pornographic Imagery/ Writing (if it involves fluids, penetration with objects or erections, or genitals, we don't want it), Obscene Material or Imagery (such as defecation), Political Propaganda, Political Images or Literature, Covid/ Masks/ Social distancing/ or Vaccine/shots anything (we're just not going to deal with ANY of it here because it's too easy to use as a bullying tactic/ subject matter), Scantily Dressed People or Characters, Sexual Kinks or Fetish Material (such as: foot, muscle, vore, tickling, weight gain, sneezing, BDSM, etc.), Hate / Racist Art or Writing, Slanderous Material, or anything that is against deviantArt's ToS or rules.
RULE 2: CONDUCT Please respect all members of the group. NO BULLYING. Harassment will not be tolerated. Rude conduct can get you kicked out of the group and banned. This also extends to how you talk or attack the founder and other admins-- including with defaming journals or status updates. The founder and admins attempt to be as friendly as possible, but have no problem removing someone who becomes hostile. Hostile behavior will be reported to DeviantArt and you will be banned from the group. DeviantArt often suspends or bans members for hostility to another member and for slander, so be careful how you talk to everyone and what you write in your journals / status updates if you enjoy being on DeviantArt.
RULE 3: FOLDERS Submit Work to the Proper Folders! We will not move it for you, incorrect folder submissions will always be declined. Most wrong folder submissions include:
- Submitting original art to the 'fan art' folder
- Submitting sketches or inked art to one of the main higher quality folders
- Submitting mixed media to the 'lines and ink work' folder
- Submitting to a folder that doesn't match your medium used- for Ex: Submitting a digital drawing to the traditional folder.
- Submitting a portrait of an actor to the Fan art folder-- Portraits of actors or famous people go to the portraiture folder, while portraits of actors playing an actual character go to the fan art folder.
- Submitting a gif or animation to a regular folder. We have a folder for artworks that appear to move-- it's called "Animations, Movies, and GIFs" and we lovingly dub it 'the epilepsy folder'. We would rather let people see that stuff at their own risk, so please only submit animated art to that folder.
Please tell us when a folder is full. We can make a new folder ASAP for you and fix the problem for everyone so that nobody feels the need to submit to the wrong folder and potentially loses an accept on a submission for the week. It's easy! We're friendly!
RULE 4: SUBMISSION INFORMATION : SUBMISSION LIMIT / SUBMIT ONLY ONE (1) WORK PER WEEK.
- You get to submit only ONE work per week. If your work is declined, you will have to wait until the next week to resubmit your work only AFTER you edit it to follow our rules properly. Some artworks will not be acceptable no matter how they are edited (see rule # 1 and #3 above).
- Submitting multiple times for the same work will not get your work reviewed faster.
- Because we allow only 1 submission per week, you may not submit multiple artworks in the same week. One acceptable work will be allowed in and the rest declined.
- Submitting a work and leaving the group shortly after will get your work declined. If it is found you have done this more than once, you may be banned for spamming. Please wait for us to review your submission.
- Keep Holidays in mind when submitting art and waiting on submissions. If you want to submit a holiday themed work, make sure to finish it with plenty of time for it to be reviewed before the holiday comes, so it will be accepted before or by the time of the holiday you wish it to be displayed for. Otherwise, submitting on the holiday or only a day or two before the holiday will ensure that it probably won't be reviewed in time for it to be as relevant. ~Admins review submissions from 1 to 3 times a week, & have less availability to review art during holidays such as; New Years Day, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Mother's and Father's day, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, & Christmas (these are the major days of unavailability, but there may be more not listed here, too).
RULE 5: SPAMMING / ADVERTISEMENTS.
No Spamming of any kind.
This includes but is not limited to:
- Taking your art out and resubmitting the same work over and over
- Leaving comments on our homepage or in any gallery in our group which advertise you or your work (ex: check out my gallery, check out my adoptables for sale, etc.) ~We have a folder for advertisements! Send your journals or adoptables there, please.
- Joining to dump your whole gallery here
- Submitting multiples of the same artwork in each of its 3 or more stages (this means we only accept 2 stages-- such as one WIP and one finished version of the same drawing) ~You may submit a sequential or tutorial artwork (one that has all of the steps taken to make the work) to the "Tutorials" folder if you wish to show all of your steps to a particular drawing, but please don't submit multiple versions of the same image at different stages. It will be considered spamming and you may be warned or banned without warning.
- Submitting multiple color filters of the same work (just stick with one version of the image, please)
- We will DECLINE more than one WIP, version, details (just give us the whole artwork, please), duplicate submission, filter, or copy of any image. We will only accept one.
- ★★ STATUS UPDATES: Please only submit status updates if they are to advertise a commission sale you are running, your contest, or your other advertisement you are trying to get the word out for (such as an adoptable event, YCH, or 'make your own' event. Unfortunately, Patreon promos and similar are not acceptable for status updates in this group. We do not want random status updates about your new drawings, how bored you are, what new movie you watched/ reviewed, or what you ate for lunch, either. Please also submit your Status updates ONLY to the "Journal Features or Advertisements" folder or it will be declined. We will accept a status update if it is poetry or a story to the "Literature or Poetry" folder.
RULE 6: PRESENTATION / QUALITY CONTROL Please attempt to present your artwork in a professional manner. We realize not all of our members are professionals, however, there are things you can do to make your art look its best. We want art that appears to have been well crafted. Follow the guidelines below to know what we expect.
- Crop your work properly. (Do not submit an image of a tiny figure on a vastly blank page, for example)
- Do not include art supplies or objects with your artwork. We don't want to see art supplies used to create the work (you can list them in the description), your bedroom, your bathroom, your bed, your closet, your fingers/hands/face/feet/body, the spiral ring binder of the sketchbook, a frame on your artwork, or any other thing that is NOT the art work. This includes all submissions such as photography, photomanipulations, sculpture, crafts, etc. Use a non-distracting backdrop for photos of sculpture or try to present sculpture and crafts in a clean, 'staged' way with no distractions from the artwork.
- Do not submit art on lined paper, grid paper, or notebook paper. Don't be afraid to use real sketchbook paper (please crop out spiral ring binders or book page folds or spines) or quality art paper.
- Do not submit torn paper, folded, or crinkled paper artworks unless it is very much part of the art such as an artwork created by glueing small torn papers to a larger paper to create an interesting image. (Carelessness in how you treat your work will be a factor in acceptance- if you don't care about it, why should others? And we're not talking about bananas being duct taped to a wall, because it's oh so clever. This is about Craftsmanship, plain and simple.)
- Do not submit dirty / smudged / messy drawings with fingerprints or smear marks on them. Keep it as clean as possible. (Again, Craftsmanship.)
- Do not use Watermarks that are EYESORES for the artwork. We know you want to protect your work from being stolen, we get it. However, we get to choose what we accept and decline and we will always decline any artworks with a watermark that interferes with a person viewing the art comfortably to the point of it becoming difficult to see the artwork. Try to keep watermarks smaller and possibly see-through whenever possible, and try to place the marks in strategic places to protect your work.
- Do not submit bad photos or bad scans of traditional artwork. Dark, blurry, dog-eared paper, etc. is unacceptable in our group. Please, have a care for how your work is presented-- As if it is being displayed in a real life gallery before everyone. Use a photo-editing software to help your art when photos or scanners fail you to lighten, crop, or fix eyesores whenever possible. Edit your work to make it presentable. Lazy photos / scans will be declined.
RULE 7: YOUR ARTWORKS ONLY.
- No stolen art. It is an instant ban if the founder or another admin / group member notices a stolen artwork you've submitted.
- Your art only. Do Not grab someone else's art and try to put it into our group. If the person submitting the artwork does not match the person who created the artwork, it will be declined.
- Do Not link outside of deviantArt for the art work to be viewed, watched, or read. We expect them to be the final product when a member clicks/taps on it to view it-- The final artwork should NOT be found via link in the description, because that is very annoying for many people when they try to view an artwork and they have to go to yet another place to even see the work. We want to cut the clutter of that, so, get all of your art in on the first view. There should NOT be any links to follow outside sources in your descriptions for a person to read or view your work (extra and helpful links, such as patreon, twitter, blogs/ vlogs, etc. that are not considered the artwork, but a means to help people find you on other outlets ARE ACCEPTABLE.)
RULE 8: NEW ARTWORK & LITERATURE ONLY. WORK MUST BE LESS THAN 2 YEARS OLD.
- We don't want you to systematically submit your whole gallery here. (We consider this a form of spamming).
- We offer a folder for that ONE pic you just HAVE to submit, so you get a freebie old art submission, but that's it and it must be submitted to the correct folder for it. Choose wisely.
___________________________ OTHER NEWS:
- We are going to delete the "Mature Work" folder because it really seems as though too many artists confuse the folder to be a catch-all for risqué art, which is an incorrect assumption. We will not be allowing most nudes into the group anymore as a result. Technically, we will still allow classical style nude drawings or paintings, but they will need to have mature filters on, or be declined and nothing will be allowed if it falls under anything in RULE #1.
- Our 'Old work I must submit' folder is now only going to allow one artwork per artist. (Not one artwork per artist, per year). Just one artwork per artist, period. After a while, it may be emptied or even done away with if it doesn't get used. Choose your best old artwork, because you only get one!
Please, feel free to note the group or ask questions here if you need clarification on the rules or what we might or might not accept. ___________________________