Ho- shit, Rolo isn't completely neglecting her profile?! WHAATTTT!
I know. Insanity. But I got tagged more times than I can count, so I'm about to jump on the character meme bandwagon (about 3 months after I was first tagged... this has sat half-finished in my sta.sh for longer than I'd like to admit).
So, here's my 8 facts about the only two characters I have, Floala and Karl.RULES1. Post these rules.2. Post 8 facts about your character.3. Tag 8 other people along with the characters you want them to write about (which leads to rule 4).4. Post their avatars and write the character names next to them.5. NO TAG BACKS!
Floala vi Trh of Xanta, entrant for Xotiathon
I'm going to cheat a bit and make some of these facts about her species because Xotiathon is still going on and I don't want to spoil anything too much.
1. Floala is a complete brat. There's a multitude of different reasons for this but it generally boils down to the fact that she has had very little social contact outside 'official visits' to other high-status glibbys. These were always very formal and Floala never really had to relate to others or make small talk in any way. Sadly, this means she has never had any real friends (not that she thought she needed any) and she spent most of her time alone inside the castle. As their only daughter, her parents have also spoilt her rotten, giving her a serious superiority complex.
2. The only real friendship Floala has is with her brother, Tazan. Although they didn't grow up together (Tazan is significantly older), Tazan is (surprisingly) fond of Floala and has always provided advice and guidance to her whenever she asked for it (which wasn't often!). However, Tazan is very well aware how socially inept and silly Floala is and he will always call her out on it in a good-humoured way.
3. The glibby species have only very recently formed civilized society. They have only had technology and 'society' for the last 20 odd years. Previous to this, they were essentially wild species with no social order, customs or culture. This life is still in the memory of many glibbys. Floala's father revolutionised Glibby life, introducing jobs (all mining related) and social order.
4. The divide between rich and poor glibbys is incredibly pronounced. Glibbys part of the 'Succession' (royal family) or high society live in large abodes which, while they are shoddily made and filled with past-it second-hand goods and technology, are considered very luxurious. They have developed a multitude of customs and cultures (many modeled on those of planets) that would be completely alien to most glibbys.
The vast majority of glibbys live a semi-feral lifestyle, hunting their own food while working to buy technology and materials to build their homes in slum-like villages. Mining and working as a merchant to sell goods are the only two jobs currently available in civil society (and there are still an amount of glibbys who do neither).
4. Male glibbys in the Succession (i.e Floala's brothers) work to improve their father's empire. Depending on their role, they might run the mines to ensure the glibbys have enough to sell, buy items for glibby-kind from merchants or, most importantly, go off-planet to negotiate new business relationships. This last role is the most respected but dangerous, with many glibbys risking their health and life to do so. This is the role Tazan held before he retired to start the Second Succession (start a family) and is how he lost his eye.
5. The only goal Floala has in life is to have children. Not even kidding.
6. Floala is an avid fan of soaps, chat shows and gossip magazines. This is kind of hilarious as she basically doesn't understand what is going on in any of them. All of the media she consumes comes from other planets and features aliens and she has no awareness of cultures outside her own.
7. Floala does not understand the concept of clothes and she believes these are a part of all the aliens she meets. She's really not very bright.
8. Floala is EXTREMELY proud of being overweight. In glibby culture, being flabby is associated with health and good status, as it means you are well-off enough to eat a lot. Extra weight is extremely attractive to male glibbys also. Karl Gecko, winner of Spiral Down Films OCT
Astonishingly, I actually have 101 facts about Karl that never made it in to my SDF stuff. I pretty much had a whole backstory for him in my head, none of which ever got mentioned because other plot stuff took precedent.
1. Karl was one of the prototypes built of a new kind of realistic robotic toys. He was never meant to be sentient. His siblings were all just complex clockwork toys, in effect. This was extremely depressing for Karl, as he was 'alone' from the moment he was born.
2. When it was decided that the 'experimental toys' would not go to market, the company decided to destroy all evidence of the product in case anyone decided to steal the idea. Consequently, Karl's 'siblings' were essentially burnt to death. Karl only just managed to escape the incinerator with his life. This was a very scarring event for him.
3. When he first escaped the facility in which he was created, Karl was a very naive and trusting soul. Unfortunately, without any family or friends to help him grow, this meant his early life was very bleak. Several different groups of people took advantage of him and his abilities, meaning he grew to have an extremely negative impression of life and others. This led him to become the very insulting and anti-social being he was in SDF.
4. Depressed by the civilised world, at one point Karl tried living as a wild gecko in the desert. While he found temporary happiness living alongside his 'own kind', his dreams came to a grinding halt when he realised that he could never reproduce (and could, consequently, never attract a mate). Feeling there was 'no point' to anything he was doing, he returned to the city and led a very empty life. His only kicks came from being nasty to others (which gave him a sense of control and satisfaction) and cheating at games and gambling. In short, he was a very sad gecko.
5. The only joy in Karl's life came from his 'upgrades' which gave him a temporary purpose. A little like a thrill seeker or drug addict, he enjoyed pushing his body to the limit and experiencing new things. His upgrades included colour vision, better hearing and a quicker and more powerful CPU (which made him more intelligent). This culminated in the installation of a sense of smell at the beginning of his audition for SDF and we all know how that went.
6. Karl could not feel pain. This, combined with his very negative view of the world, meant he had an issue empathizing with others. This is what led to his psychopathic tendencies. However, his assholeishness was not an 'innate' trait and, with the right circumstances, he could have/could still become a far nicer person. However, being honest, this would be really friggin unlikely by this point.
7. Karl's biggest goal in life was to impress the internet trolls and hackers he met on online forums. Sad, right? Consequently, his story was intended to be circular. He started out as an internet troll, browsing the internet. After he transferred his consciousness to the online world, he essentially became a sentient computer virus - the ultimate troll. While he might have lost his body, ultimately this turned out to be the best thing for him and he is very happy in his new state.
8. Originally, Karl was going to use normal swears. However, the SDF judges advised me that excessive swearing was against the rules and I decided to use British euphemisms instead. Thank gawd for that because his friggin language became a feckin huge part of his character.
9. Bonus fact - Karl betraying everyone and working with Winston was always a real possibility. In an alternate universe, it is very possible (even probable) that he could have taken Winston up on his deal or betrayed him and decided to run the studio himself. His ultimate end was chosen depending on the experiences and interactions he had in the course of the story. In particular, his interactions with astridtjejen
's Martin ended up being one of the deciding factors in what I chose as an ending. Tagging
I think everyone I watch/am friends with have done this by this point so... uhhh. If you haven't yet and you fancy it, knock yourself out!