Convenient location for consolidating facts (986 mg)
Useful reminders (310 mg)
Advice (127 mg)
This is a questionnaire meant for recording important information in a convenient place to facilitate consistency.
Copy and paste text into a Sta.sh Writer, .txt, or Microsoft Word document. Highlight information after the colons and type over it. When writing, record facts about your character here to keep track of them.
The questionnaire is not a substitute for proper character development.
Do not use if you have not written any scenes with this character.
Stop and ask a doctor if you find yourself uncertain about what the answers to many of these questions are.
Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away, and purchase a new computer.
Is it actually 400 questions long? Eh, close enough. But don't blame me for the false advertisement, I added in a few mocks to make up some of the gaps, but it's such a wall of questions, I'm too lazy to fix 'em all.
Regardless, I'm glad to see this is getting a big resurgence, at least to my perspective, so by all means, keep doing them, commenting results, and what have you. It may not be yielding me traffic personally, but at least y'all're having fun with it, to some extent.
4. That makes you (age):
5. Where were you born (city):
6. Location right now (planet ):
Ever have trouble deciding what side of an argument your character will take? Do you have trouble remembering small details about your character, and often change them accidentally in the middle of a story? Try this list of one hundred questions to solidify your knowledge of your character. Feel free to use this and post it as its own deviation. Just please link it to me in a comment if you do. Try to answer the questions in as much specific detail as possible. This is for you, so there is no use in cheating on it. I would suggest doing two for each character: one for the beginning of your story, and one for the end, to reflect the changes that happen.
1. What is your character's name? Do they have a nickname?
2. Is your character male or female? What is their sexuality? What role does it play in your story?
3. How old is your character? Does their age matter to them emotionally or socially?
4. How tall is your character? Does it affect the
What is an OCT?
OCTs, or "Original Character Tournaments" are contests held here on deviantart in which you can pit your original characters against other people's characters in a comic-style battle-royale. To put it simply, it's a cross between an art competition and a storytelling contest.
OCTs can be hosted on someone's account, or they can have a tournament account of their own. OCTs are usually open to anyone with a deviantart account, although some are invite only. Information about who is eligible to audition will usually be clearly stated s
Please refrain from asking questions that are already in here. I will most likely not answer them. If you have any other questions, please send me a message or a note. It might take me a while to reply, though.
Please note that this F.A.Q. will be changed from time to time. New questions and answers will be added every now and then.
[last update: February 3, 2016]
About art requests, general requests & commissions
Could you draw my character?
No. Just no.
I don't do art requests, and I don't do art for free. If you want somebody to draw your characters, please go to the projects forum and place your request the
(Or making your 'house' come alive with interesting tchotchkes)
This isn't going to be the typical character questionnaire that asks what the character's height, religion, job, ect. I like knowing things about characters beyond their likes, their height and weight, parents' names, and such. I like putting them in hypothetical situations and watching them come alive, so to speak. If naming and assigning appearance to a character is laying the foundation and giving them background information is building the house, then think of this questionnaire as filling the place with tchotchkes! Sure, you might not mention Bob's scaly feet in your story, but it's nice to know something about him besides his being five feet three inches tall and bald. Yeah, there are 75 questions. I'm sure there are other things I could have asked, but have fun with the ones I have here.
1. Would your character rob a bank if they knew they could get away with it?
1. Answer the following questions from your character's point of view. As such, the answers should be written in a first-person ("I") format.
2. Feel free to throw in your own answer, if you feel that the answer is incomplete. Yes, you, behind the fourth wall.
3. Since this is supposed to be fun, I'd prefer it if you and your character could minimize the bad language, so that everyone can enjoy these.
4. Have fun. Otherwise, there's really no point. Get into your character's head and have at it!
5. Anyone can use this template. But, please, make sure to reference the source. If you don't...
Character's Name: [Insert Name Here]
Part I: Let's Start at the Beginning...
1. What's your name?
2. Give me your full name...
3. Do you have a nickname? If yes, what is it and how did you come to have it?
4. What species are you? (Hu
HTML stands for HyperText Markup Language. It's used when making a website, and available to use on deviantART to customise what you are writing.
Once you memorise the HTML, it's pretty easy and fun to use.
You can find some codes on the deviantART FAQ #104, but they don't give you all of them.
You can use the codes I am about to give you in artist comments, journal entries, blog entries, profile pages, and more importantly comments!
Literature pieces have less codes available to use than what I just mentioned, but there's still a fair few you can play around with.
especially everyone's favourite emoticons.
Place at the beginning of your sentence and at the end for it to appear in bold.
Example: Bold turns into Bold.
You can also use instead of .
Example: Strong turns into Strong.
Place at the beginning of your sentence and at the end for it to be underlined.
Where did you learn?
I've taught myself. My Secondary (High) School art teacher told me 'cartoon are not art' and so I had no interest in perusing 'art' classes any further. At about 13 I began to draw every day, less studying, more drawing what came to mind, creating characters and worlds and getting my thoughts and feeling onto paper.
I joined deviantART at 15, and the feedback and critique I've gained through sharing my art online has helped a lot in my improvement. I wasn't born with any 'gift', unless you count functioning hands, I learned through practice. My early drawings are just as bad as everyone else's (I keep them as proof) I
Disclaimer: Jinbae is not responsible for any content provided by external sites.
The material in this journal should, in no way, be used as evidence in court or as a replacement for professional advice. Jinbae is not a professional copyrights lawyer.
US copyright laws and the content in this journal are subject to change with or without prior notice.
Please keep in mind that not all the material in this journal necessarily reflects my (jinbae's) thoughts and opinions about Copyright law. It is, more or less, simply a journal that answers questions concerning copyright law based on current laws.
All material in this journal is based on USA copyright laws. If you are stationed outside US jurisdiction, please check your own government's laws regarding copyright. To see if your country shares copyright r
2. Do you know why you were named that?
3. What are you?
4. What's your gender?
5. How old are you?
6. What do you think your life expectancy is?
7. What's your height?
8. What's your eye color?
9. How about hair color?
10. Do you think you're attractive?
11. Do you have any features that you want to get rid of, if you could?
12. How would you introduce yourself? If you are famous in your world, how would you introduce yourself to someone who had never heard of you?
13. Have any abilities or powers?
14. Stop being a Mary-sue!
15. What do you usually wear?
16. Do you ever walk around naked?
17. Ever cross-dressed before?
18. What do you wear to bed?
19. What's in your pockets right now?
20. To what social class do you belong?
21. What is your job?
22. What is your lifelong dream?
23. What is your worst nightmare?
24. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings (i.e. do you hide your true self from others, and in what way)?
25. What's one thing you like an
"A quote from or about your character."
- Book, Chapter
Manner of Birth:
Manner of Death:
License Plate Number:
Part 1: Identity
Part 2: Physical Profile -
Part 3: Special Abilities
Part 4: History
Part 5: Interests
Part 6: Personality and Personal qualities
Part 7: Image and Outlook
Part 8: Relationships
Part 9: Lifestyle
Part 1: Identity
1. What is your name? Do you have a nickname?
2. What is your gender?
3. When were you born and what is your age? So what is the current year?
4. Are you still alive?
5. Are you from Earth? If not please describe where you live:
6. Where were you born? Can you describe this place?
7. Where do you currently live? Can you describe where you live?
8. What is your current occupation? Have you ever had any other occupation(s)? If you have no occupation what do you aspire to be?
9. Would you describe yourself as either good or evil? Do you ever wish to change?
Part 2: Physical Profile:
10. Are you a machine? If so are you humanoid?
If you said yes and are humanoid carry on with