Wow, I haven't been on DA in YEARS. Literally. And people are still stopping by to look at my stuff, favourite it, and comment. I'm actually pretty blown away.
So yeah, hi there! My name is Sam. Here's a few things that happened to me in the last two years:
- I moved to Toronto, all by myself. I lived there for two and a half years, in a nice little one bedroom.
- I worked in book publishing there for an epic company called ChiZine Publications--and I still work there, as the Managing Editor/Layout Designer
- I worked 4 jobs at once, one time. That was...taxing.
- Some of the crappy not-related-to-my-education jobs I did in TO included an antique store, a high-end baby store, and standing on the street corner handing out free newspapers in the dead of winter. That last one was dark times, Harry, dark times. I also worked in a bookstore, which was pretty rad, despite the insane bosses. Like, clinically insane.
- Yes my book got its contract in 2010, but it's not coming out until May 15, 2013. Well, that's soon! I'll be doing a launch in Winnipeg as well as Toronto, and I'll be going to as many conventions as I can (Ad Astra in April, Keycon in May!) You can check out the book cover on my Webcam.
- I dumped my epically deranged ex, who I lived with from 2008-2010. It was the worst dumping in the world, though...he moved to Toronto for two months, then I kind of sort of dumped him, kicked him out, which forced him to move back to Winnipeg...oh well. I heard it worked out for him.
- I started dating Peter soon after, (a guy I had secretly loved since 2009, but felt too trapped to do anything about it) and guess what? WE ENGAGED, YO. Except we won't be tying the knot until 2015, when he's done his MD. He's a handsome, cello-playing, super funny, super fun, epic, cuddly, adorable man-creature. And definitely worth the wait. We're going to be together for the rest of our lives, so in my mind, we're already married.
- I moved back to Winnipeg! I still live all by my onesies (Peter is living at home, 9 blocks away, because working a part-time job + Med is a recipe for failure) and I love it. Gorgeous neighbourhood. And I can bike to work!
- I work at a publishing firm called Signature Editions as the Marketing and Promo director, but I still work for CZP by telecommuting.
- I bike to work every day, and when conditions are truly awful, I walk. I'm active every single day in some way, shape, or form.
- I lost 20 lbs since August! I've still got a bit more to go. But getting there.
- I gave up pork and beef because it makes my tummy ouchies.
- I took up singing lessons, let's see where that gets me!
- I went to World Fantasy 2012 and it was amazing.
- I re-joined my Scouting program
- All kinds of things I don't even remember right now.
BUT, my point, is that I'm going to try try try to get back into drawing/painting/sculpting/'tooning. Really try. There is so much going on in my life right now, and with the book launching imminently I've got a lot of advanced press and marketing to tackle.
It's okay if no one even comes on here anymore, but damn, I was tired of having the same old shite up on my journal.