Hello! As I realized I have been gaining pageviews and more followers, I decided to become a bit more active on DA. I am going to tell a few tips of how you can get into voice over.
FIRST, THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW:
1. IT'S NOT ABOUT DOING FUNNY VOICES
2. YOU MUST BE WILLING TO ACCEPT FAILURE
You MUST know and understand those two things first before you actually start doing voice acting. I will explain why.
Yes, as you watch a cartoon, the characters have funny voices, make funny noises, or whatever it may be. That's not because they are supposed too, it's because the people know how to act. It's called voice "acting" for a reason. If it was just about doing funny voices, it would be called funny voices. Ya get what I mean? If watching a cartoon was just about doing funny voices, then anyone could do it and it wouldn't be a hard industry to get into. Not everyone can, which is why agencies seek voice over "talent." That's to be explained in a different journal entry.
When the actor acts out there character, they imagine themselves in that same situation. Like if your character was about to jump out of an airplane, wouldn't you be scared if it was you? Especially if you never done sky diving before? This is what the actor takes to key. Imagine yourself in the situation, and it will make it more fun and easier to act out your character. I was told this many times by my director Shelly Shenoy who voiced on Cartoon Network a few years ago. IMAGINE YOURSELF IN THE SAME SITUATION, how would you react if it was actually you?
For the final part of this entry, you must be willing to accept failure. I will explain.
When you first start doing voice over work, it's challenging. Don't think you will get roles easily and instantly. The best way to start to do auditions is through websites like Voices.com, Voices123, etc. You can record from home and audition from websites with clients hiring. It's not the "real real" way to get an audition, but it's great for experience and to learn. I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T do it, by all means if you have the money for a membership, take a shot at it!
This is where the part you must accept failure comes into play. When you do auditions, you will fail usually 90% of the time. Meaning you won't book auditions for 90% of the time. The other 10%, you will. This is when you first start obviously. After a few years, you may book more, but it depends. You can book 2 gigs a year that pay only like $100 each, and still be working a full time or part time job. When you first start, don't expect big payment right away.
Any questions feel free to ask!