Welcome everybody!Who this group is for:
Special Effects is a group for all of those who love the unique artistry of entertainment and movie making magic. We cover make-up effects, mechanical/animatronic effects, props and costumery, creature creation and more. Feel free to submit your work, check out the work of others and get to know fellow FX artists!What Exactly Are Special Effects?
Special Effects are the illusions used in the film, television, theatre, or entertainment industries to simulate the imagined events in a story. Special effects (often abbreviated as SFX, SPFX, or simply FX) artists use sculpting skills, mechanics, make-up, prosthetics, animatronics, chemicals, 3d painting skills and other unique products and skills to create monsters, creature suits, advanced make-up effects, sets, props and much, much more.
Special effects are traditionally divided into the categories of optical effects and mechanical effects. With the emergence of digital film-making tools a greater distinction between special effects and visual effects has been recognized, with "visual effects" referring to digital post-production and "special effects" referring to on-set mechanical effects and in-camera optical effects.
This group is here to share our special effects work, tips, tricks, and of course our love for the craft.Submissions and How they are Judged
All membership requests are accepted automatically. Fans, enthusiasts, professionals and hobbyists are all welcome.
You may submit multiple times a day to multiple folders. Please make sure your piece fits the folder description.
Pieces are judged on many levels depending on the subject. We do not accept amateur or novice work into gallery folders, though we do encourage you to practice, practice, practice. This being said - we do only accept the ABSOLUTE best into the actual gallery folders. Why was my piece denied?
UNLIKE many other cosmetic groups, this group IS run by professionals in the entertainment industry. We know what we're looking at. We judge accordingly. We don't want a bunch of blood smothered, creative-less, "zombie makeupz kewlsz" in our gallery.
We do NOT. ACCEPT. ALL WORK.
DO NOT get butt hurt over it. Use it as a driving force, get inspired, learn, improve.
If your piece was denied chances are the following:
- You submitted it to the wrong folder.
- Prosthetics must be flawless, seamless, well sculpted, painted, and applied.
- FX Makeup must be flawless, seamless, realistic, well blended, painted, sculpted and applied.
- Excessive use of blood to cover edges does not equal a realistic special effect.
- Sculptures must be dynamic, anatomically sound, textured, detailed and well painted if painted.
- Creatures/Masks/etc must be well seamed, well painted, textured, detailed, realistic ( or obviously meant not to be...examples: cartoonish ).
- Makeups must be flawless, with great use of light and shadow, no visible brush strokes, or obvious facial imperfections.
- Props must be realistic, seamless, well painted, well sculpted and not obviously Nerf products, or any other store bought product for that matter.
- Fursuits/Creature-suits must be well fabricated, executed, furred, painted, stitched and worn.
This is how the FX community operates on a professional level and this group expects no less in terms of the quality found in our galleries. This does not mean we don't love enthusiasts! Fans, Film lovers, and Effects lovers of all kinds are welcome to submit, meet others, and just love the craft in general. However, please keep in mind that we are looking for real quality pieces here when it comes to our galleries!