Super long story short, I tried making a double sided cloth in Marvelous Designer that I could export into Daz for use as a dforce "bi-colored" cloak. MD struggled HARD when it came time to drape on a figure, so I knew it wasn't going to work in dforce's rudimentary physics. I knew from Iray research that it was possible to change the color of a backface, but I didn't know how it would work in Daz. So, I researched like crazy for a couple days. Yes, 48-ish hours of total research and found relatively little that helped me. After the first 18 hours or so, I reached out for help on the Daz forum (Little was received, but I think that has a lot to do with Daz's forum structure and traditional forums in general. Not a lot of people use them regularly anymore). I'd found an inspiring image, but I had no idea how the original artist achieved the results. But, I knew it was possible.
Sponge Diver Range:
I imported the default "!Iray Uber Base" (this is the PBR-MB default) shader into Shader Mixer. I was quite surprised at the size and scope of it (hence no picture. It's huge, and you'd just see microscopic blurry text... Not helpful at all). Had I tried to figure all of it out myself, I'd be working on it for quite some time ahead (kudos to any of you out there who work with the Shader Mixer on a regular basis, y'all deserve a medal). A side note: Importing a shader was a function that I discovered in my more recent research (as in, a couple hours ago...) Turns out it's SUPER easy and was right in front of my face the whole time. Just select the top level of a shader, open Shader Mixer, click file, then Import from Scene. Done.
Approaching the Continental Shelf (*cue Pirate voice* beyond this paragraph, there be MDL monsters):
I copied my starting texture and pasted it into the Uber Base. My "UserParameters" brick was deleted because you can only have one UP brick, apparently (makes sense if you think about it. From what I can tell, there's no limit to the amount of user parameters you can add, so there's really no reason to support two UP bricks). Since the Uber Base already had a "Base Color" I no longer had a need for two Simple Glossy BDSF bricks, so I removed one and did the same with my "Bump or Normal Map" brick and "MDL Surface" brick. I added an "Interior Color" user parameter to the UP brick and connected that output to my Simple Glossy Tint input of my SG-BDSF brick. Then, in order to eliminate the default reflective surface, I connected the Uber Base's "Diffuse Roughness Map" output to the SG-BDSF Roughness U and V values. Now I could control how shiny the interior color is with the default Diffuse Roughness slider. However, I still needed a way to combine two Material (MT) outputs into one MT output. Along comes a wonderful accidental discovery of mine, the "Override Material Field" brick (Bricks>Functions>MDL>Material Editors>Override Material Field). This brick allows you to input MANY materials into a single material output! Granted, you need to have the appropriate values. However, for this texture, I only needed two. The "Base" and "Backface Scattering" MT inputs. I dropped the OMF brick between the "Uber Add Volume" and "MDL Surface" bricks of the Uber Base, connected the Uber Add Volume brick's output MT to the OMF's Base MT input, the MT output of my "Material - Fields" brick to the Backface Scattering MT input of the OMF brick, and connected the OMF's MT output to the MDL Surface MT input. Clicked "Apply" and BAM! Double sided material with all of the default Uber Base properties and settings.
Back to the Shore:
About the result: This object is effectively a plane exported from Marvelous Designer. It only has a surface and a backface. If it were to be rendered with "backface culling" enabled, all of the red would be transparent. So far, my preliminary testing shows that everything is fully functional. Granted, you'll need to set the Diffuse Roughness to max if you want the interior to look like anything other than colored tinfoil. I'll probably need to figure out how to tie in more of the settings in order to get it exactly where I want it, but for now, I'm calling this a HUGE EPIC WIN!
-Iray MDL Module Base information: www.migenius.com/doc/realityse…
-The MDL Handbook: mdlhandbook.com/
-The Shader Mixer Cookbook: www.daz3d.com/forums/discussio…
-A little helpful early on, but ultimately useless to my goal: docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzon…
-The forum post that got me started: www.daz3d.com/forums/discussio…
-My Q/A on Daz forum (you'll basically find this DA upload here): www.daz3d.com/forums/discussio…
If you have questions, I'll try my best to answer them, but I may not have accurate/knowledgeable information.
(edit: Tutorials probably aren't the best place to request critiques, so I've disabled it for this upload...)
I’m not sure what “rib” is at the moment, but I’m glad you finally got to see your previews! Previews are SUPER helpful for building something visually oriented!