-A G2F item with custom bones
-The G2F clone for Genesis, here: www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-female…
(Or one of the free ones; you can try this without one, but it will work poorly.)
-DAZ Studio 4.6
-An external folder to export geometries
And that's it.
Import Genesis and the Triton tail into your scene.
Start the Transfer Utility.
Transfer from Genesis to the tails (don't worry about rigging yet, we just want the shape reversion on this pass). Choose Clone--Genesis 2 Female from the left dropdown, and make sure "reverse source shape from target" is checked.
When the process is done, delete or hide Genesis (it's important that the tails are not conformed to it). Export the converted tails as an .obj to the folder of your choice. Make sure you add a G in the name or some other indicator that it's different.
Delete this first conversion from your scene.
Now, leaving Genesis gone or hidden, load the original G2F Triton Tail again.
Re-import the .obj.
Run Transfer Utility again, this time from the original to the imported .obj. On the Morphs option, make sure Source Morphs is checked, so that we get any fixits etc. from the original. This time do NOT check reverse source shape or a clone (that second shouldn't be possible anyway).
When that is finished, delete the old G2F version. Save the new one to library with a name that will not overwrite the original, such as artist Esha/item TritonTailsG/.
Now load Genesis, hide the legs or morph them away with the Mermaid Genesis preset, and conform the triton tails to Genesis. If they don't fit just right at the top, go to the Scene Tab.
Select Genesis and shift-click the tails. Now right-click and choose edit--rigging--transfer rigging (figure space). This is a GREAT option because it updates only the rigging that is shared with Genesis and doesn't mess with the custom bones. The item should now snap into place.
Save to library again.
Now your custom-boned item is ready to use!
Why I No Longer Sell At Renderosity
PC+ For A Day 10/23/20
PC+ Items 10/22/20
[Tutorial] Convert Clothing G3 to G8, G8 to G309/21/17 UPDATE: Added fix for the sleeves issue to each section. Rotations have to be baked.
Here's the YouTube video.
For this tutorial you need:
Genesis 3 Female from Daz3d.com.
Genesis 8 Female from Daz3d.com.
This will only work between these two figures, possibly between their male counterparts in the future if there is a G8 Male. It will not work between any previous figures, or between these and previous figures.
An item of clothing for one of them that you want to convert to the other one.
Here's a Genesis 3 Pose for Genesis 8, to save time. You can also make your own.
Scene Tab and Parameters Tab in Daz Studio 4.9. If you lack a tab, you can add it using Window--Panes (Tabs) and clicking the one that you need.
THE CONTENT MANAGEMENT/SMART CONTENT HAS TO BE INSTALLED AND WORKING
Good to know transferring to G8 figures should be easier. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by changing the scene identification (I'm sure I'll get it once I've really read the tutorial), but reloading the morphs will be easy--assuming the "adjust rigging to shape" step goes right. I've been having a little problem with bones popping out at random. I have to go through and reposition them before ERC freeze. Again, a little annoying, but it's only happened on this figure, so far.
In case I never said it before, your tutorials have all been a really big help to me on my path to mastering Daz-centric modeling and rendering. I very much like the Blender tie-ins, too, as I tend to do more modeling in that than Hexagon.
I seem to have done something very wrong somewhere. I tried following step by step, and what I wound up with was Genesis from the waist up, and the Mertails from the toefins down. Everything in between -- legs, leglike fins, whatever -- completely gone. The toefins are actually apparently attached to the waist. I tried two different conversions, both with and without smoothing modifier, but it doesn't make a difference. I mean, it's an interesting look, torso with finny feet, but not precisely what I'm aiming for!
If I turn conforming off, the mertail legs come back, so clearly they're just somehow being ... compressed? I expanded out both mertail legs, and all the custom bones are there, and nothing of Genesis below the hip/pelvis, so the re-rigging worked. I can parent the mertails, and they sorta kinda work, although I have to be very very careful about posing.
Any suggestions about what I'm doing wrong? Are there particular OBJ export settings I need to make sure of? (I've done so much tinkering, one way and another, that I've no idea what the defaults for OBJ export are. I think I've got it set right, but who knows.)
Anyway, I followed your tutorial above and it works brilliantly. I had to do the adjust rigging (figure space) as there was quite a lot of poke-through on the hip area, and that did the trick. However, it's left it a bit loose so there are slight ghostly areas of semi-transparency at the edges, which I think I can improve with a morph.
I'm glad you were able to get it figured out. It just gives one a lot more options, since this method can be used the other way around as well (and between G2F and G2M when each has clones for the other one).
It even works with, say, EasyPose hairs for Generation 4, if you convert them to weight mapping. It doesn't work with Gen4 clothes as-is mainly because of the Abdomen 2 bone (which Genesis 1 and 2 have but Gen 4 did not), but most hair doesn't use that bone area anyway.