My first round in the death match (against ~potterpuppetpal
) was declared a dance off.
The Princess Tutu costume was made and worn by me.
Photo was taken by TheBigTog
at Connecticon 2009 and is posted with permission.
I made a pattern for the bodice from a bodice I owned as part of a ballet costume. It is cotton twill with a layer of interfacing, boning, and a muslin lining.
The skirt is a premade lycra tutu panty, 5 layers of hand-ruffled petticoat netting, three layers of hand-ruffled pink tulle, and a twill plate to match the bodice.
I didn't have a pattern, but I found ballet-tutu instructions online.
I originally ruffled around 10 layers of netting for the skirt, each one taking at least 2 hours since the strips of netting started out between 15 and 20 feet long!
The wings are yellow tulle over a wire frame, the blue "feather" things are cyberlox over wire.
The wig was, in a previous life, a plain white bob. I dyed it pink with Katie Blair's wig dye and formed the antenna with a felt-and-wire base, pink markers, fiber from the wig, and lots
of glue. Then I sewed on a piece of white felt as a base for the feathers. The crown is paperclay painted gold and sewn onto the skin top of the wig.
The necklace was fun to make. I used a template I found on a tutorial online. The glue I used on it smelled so bad I had to use a respirator while I was working on it!