Mookie declares Princess Tutu the winner of Connecticon's first ever Cosplay Death Match.
The Princess Tutu costume was made and worn by me.
Photo was taken by TheBigTog
at Connecticon 2009 and is posted with permission.
I made a pattern for the bodice from a bodice I owned as part of a ballet costume. It is cotton twill with a layer of interfacing, boning, and a muslin lining.
The skirt is a premade lycra tutu panty, 5 layers of hand-ruffled petticoat netting, three layers of hand-ruffled pink tulle, and a twill plate to match the bodice.
I didn't have a pattern, but I found ballet-tutu instructions online.
I originally ruffled around 10 layers of netting for the skirt, each one taking at least 2 hours since the strips of netting started out between 15 and 20 feet long!
The wings are yellow tulle over a wire frame, the blue "feather" things are cyberlox over wire.
The wig was, in a previous life, a plain white bob. I dyed it pink with Katie Blair's wig dye and formed the antenna with a felt-and-wire base, pink markers, fiber from the wig, and lots
of glue. Then I sewed on a piece of white felt as a base for the feathers. The crown is paperclay painted gold and sewn onto the skin top of the wig.
The necklace was fun to make. I used a template I found on a tutorial online. The glue I used on it smelled so bad I had to use a respirator while I was working on it!