Works on Windows 8 and 8.1. (Does not work on Windows 7)
This visual style is made to have no accent color, only black, grey and white.
The music player in the preview image is AIMP with Ladient ( fav.me/d6e0oqk )
Based on Gray 2014 by ezio ( fav.me/d6x6ssl )
& Gray8-final by gsw953onDA ( fav.me/d5navyx )
Credit to these guys since they did most of the work.
Before you install
- Make a restore point.
- Follow this tutorial just in case anything goes wrong:
- Install Open Sans (included in the download)
How to install
- Apply the UxStyle Patch: uxstyle.com/
- Disable ribbon UI: fav.me/d4xt4f0
- Copy the content of the Visual Style folder to C:WindowsResourcesThemes
- Right click your desktop > Personalize and click Penumbra 8 under Installed Themes
For the previewed statusbar use Classic Shell
Make your window borders smaller
ONE can cause installation problems such as installs being stuck at "creating shortcuts" and also other explorer related problems. If you are hindered by these problems, uninstall the ONE shell extension.
- Start menu right click in Windows 8.1.
- Fixed low quality notification arrow when taskbar is on the sides
- Changed a bunch of color in the explorer window
- Changed 'None' icon
- Small changes to all button types
- Changed color on dropdown menu
- Changed colors of pop-up menu
- Changed colors of Monthcal
- Bunch of other small changes and fixes
- Added OldNewExplorer (ONE) to the download
- Added new wallpapers, removed old ones
- Skinned copy window
- Made general colors a bit lighter
- Changed tooltip and tooltip balloon
- Made different between disabled/grayed and normal text more noticeable
- Slight change to the scrollbar
- Fixed change icon view menu
- Other small fixes and changes
- Changed colors of the explorer window
- Changed font rendering to Cleartype-natural
- Made overall font color a bit darker
- Changed colors right-click menu
- Made taskbar notifications more noticeable
- Made button colors lighter (incl. radio and checkbox)
- Added purple wallpaper
- A bunch of other small changes
- Changed the blue taskmanager colors
- Changed some of the icons when dragging files/folder in explorer
- Taskbar notifications should show now
- Other small changes
- Added Penumbra 8 W
This fixes some problems with dark background of searchboxes, urlbars and microsoft Word.
This is however in exchange that some other parts of the VS will appear white.
- Used Gray 2014 as new base. It should fix* most if not all problems that were present in Windows 8.1
- Slightly changed caption buttons
- Changed scrollbar arrows.
- Other small changes
- Changed taskband list item background and close button
- Changed background of the box when selecting filetype
- Changed background on desktop icons
- Changed editbox border
- Changed Close button on tool windows
- Fixed Vertical progress bar
- Fixed pin list icons for Windows 8.1, but it isn't properly styled yet
- Other small changes and fixes
- Removed white dot from search bar
- Made text in the control panel readable
- Changed progress bar
- Changed list tab item
- Initial Release beta
* = Set color intensity all the way to the left ( a.pomf.se/lyutdm.png )
Please read the comments before asking about a problem.
Suggestions are welcome.
Try switching back to the default windows theme (aero), reboot your pc and then apply the theme again.
Darn, too bad I cant use this theme, Its very minimal and unique.
"When ya cant get what ya want, even though its simple."
Oh well, I'll find some other way I guess. But yet again thank you for the help, We'll be looking forward to your creations .
Alright, imma give it a try.
This is a long shot since this has not been updated in ages.
I was wondering if you could implement the task manager colors from your windows 10 version of this skin into this one? (Could i just copy files out of the windows 10 version?)
Also i found 2 bugs
When right clicking things like file explorer the menu is purple at one part
How do I fix the yellow bit where the title is?
Otherwise fantastic work!
The right click bug you're referring to sounds strange. Could you take a screenshot of it? I might need to install a Windows 8 virtual machine to fix it (I only have Windows 10 machines).
The yellow bit from the title sound like a theme colorization problem. Again, could you clarify the problem with a screenshot? I will see if I can find a solution or fix.
I hope they are not problems that occurred because of a Windows update because that could complicate things.
I will release it in the coming days even if I don't find it, since everything else already looks how I want it to.
I absolutely adore it. ^^
If you look at the FAQ of one of the UxStyle patchers (for example, see www.syssel.net/hoefs/software_… ), it will explain the problem. You basically have to temporarily switch back to the default visual style before you uninstall a program and restart your PC. Once properly booted, you can switch back to Penumbra 8 or any other visual style.
Here are some general fixes that might help:
- Be sure to use Penumbra 8, and not Penumbra 8W since that one can contain white areas.
- Also be sure you set the slider for color intensity in the theme color window all the way to the left (See description).
- Sometimes the visual style won't be applied correctly. In that case you want to switch back to the default visual style that came with windows, restart, and reapply the penumbra 8 visual style.
Thanks, I really appreciate it~
I personally don't use Windows Media Player, so the chance of me making a skin for it is really small. I did however, make a skin for AIMP that fits in with Penumbra 8, so you might want to give that a shot.
Screenshot of my taskbar.
Both the xfire chat window and steam should be flashing because I received messages, but they're just the solid color. I've tried reinstalling UXstyle and so on, but that's had no effect either.
It does work on my end: a.pomf.se/ydudjk.png
Maybe you need to move the color slider of the theme all the way to the left, if you haven't already. That's how I have mine set.
Thank you for your help though, atleast Skype is working correctly now.
would be possible to leave explorer black and not black taskbar,
taskbar not black
is it possible ??
The only thing I can do for the time being is use the eyedropper tool and try to replicate your skin.
It is very nice by the way.
I prefer to use Launchy to launch my programs because it feels faster and has neat little plug-ins.