Problem: I wanted to include Hylian script in my Legend of Zelda fanart, but as it turns out, the Japanese game designers (reasonably enough) based Hylian on Japanese katakana. Thus, to spell anything in English--including some of the character names--caused the same problems as trying to render it in romanji. Example: Link becomes "Rinku", because there's no "L" in Japanese, and katakana is not an alphabet but syllabic, meaning words can't end in consonants.
Solution: Create an English localization of the Hylian script, based as closely as possible on the syllabic script. I used the Wind Waker script (modern Hylian) rather than the Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask one (old Hylian) because it's prettier--the old one looks obviously pixel-ish.
This deviation shows my logic in choosing which characters to use for each letter, and the final alphabet.
Request: If there is anyone out there who can make this a font, I would love you forever.
, I will love you forever.
Font is here -- [link]
Admission: I have GOT to be the biggest nerd on the planet for spending nearly two hours on this.
Disclaimer: The Legend of Zelda series and the original Hylian script are the property of Nintendo.
Credits: Source material used for this project can be found at the most excellent Omniglot: [link]