Because I’ve gotten a few requests, and because I’ve discovered some of my photos on other websites, I decided to go ahead and write a quick journal to let everyone know my stance on referencing and redistributing my work.
I think it’s fantastic that you like my photos enough to draw/paint from them. If you would like to reference one of my photos for your work, feel free! I ask two things:
- Please give credit for the reference by linking back to my page or the photo you referenced, and
- If you remember, send me a link so I can come see!
I’m a little torn on this one because I like to have control over where my images go. I’m a practical person though, and the internet being what it is, even if I really *wanted* to prevent distribution of my pictures, chances are they’d be scattered to the winds anyways. So here’s the deal: I don’t have any problem with you redistributing my work, provided you do the following:
- Please do not use my photos for monetary gain. I had some of my skunk photos published in a newspaper recently without my permission, and that just ain’t cool. It should go without saying, but this is my work, and if you’re selling it or profiting from it, you’re stealing from me, plain and simple.
- Please do not edit my photos. This includes removing my name from the corner of the image. I’ve gone out of my way to keep my name out of the way so you can enjoy the image, so please respect that fact and do not alter my images if you repost them.
- Please do not take credit for my work. I’m flattered you like my work enough to claim it as your own, but again, that’s stealing, and that’s kind of a dick move.
- Please link back to my page if possible. If you like my pictures, maybe the people you’re showing them to would like to see the rest my gallery, eh? I know I’d appreciate the extra foot traffic.
tl;dr: Yes, but don't steal!
Anyways, I think that’s all. I'll add more if I think of it, but in the meantime: Thanks for reading, and thanks for checking out my photos. I really appreciate it, and I can’t say how happy it makes me that you all like what you see here! Plenty more to come, so keep an eye out.