★ T a e - J o o n L i
Nicknames: TJ, Joon
Birthday: March 15 (Pisces)
Height and Weight: 5'1" and 110 lbs
Blood Status: Muggleborn
★ H u f f l e p u f f , Y e a r 7
Electives: Care of Magical Creatures and Alchemy
Extracurricular: Magical Cooking and Frog Choir
Best subjects: Charms and Transfiguration
Worst subjects: Muggle Military and History of Magic
★ W a n d & P e t
Wand: Willow | 9.5 inches | Dragon Heartstring | Pliant
"The Willow is an uncommon wand wood with healing properties. Although attractive with its handsome appearance and well-founded reputation for enabling advanced, non-verbal magic, the Willow's ideal owner has some insecurities. However, it consistently selects those with the greatest potential and ability to learn." - Mr. Garrick Ollivander
• Tae-Joon's mother wanted to personalize Tae-Joon's wand by creating a custom handle and added a jewel because the colour reminded her of his eyes.
• Additionally, Tae-Joon carved a matching 'tattoo' onto the custom handle in order to share a resonance with his wand.
• Bei-Bei was curious about the wand once upon a time and gave it a small nibble. Though patient, the wand did gently give off a warning spark of its disapproval. Bei-Bei hasn't messed with the wand since.
Pet: Bei-Bei | White Dwarf Hamster
"Bei-Bei is a little spoiled, but I guess I'm to blame for that. It seems like she is friendly only with other females though, I wonder why. However, if you offer her a sunflower seed she often reconsiders her approval of you. Maybe that's why she is a bit round, heh.
Don't tell anyone... She's often tucked in my scarf when I'm attending classes. I don't like breaking rules, but she escapes from her cage to find me when I leave her in the dorms and I don't want her to get eaten by the larger animals around the school..!" - Tae-Joon Li
• Wary of other men because she knows Tae-Joon has an affinity for that gender. She really loves Tae-Joon and
doesn't want her daddy's attention taken away from her.
• Quite adventurous and likes to follow Tae-Joon around for all his travels. Hence why she frequently escapes from her cage if he isn't present.
• Tae-Joon's mother jokingly named the hamster Bei-Bei, an endearing term for 'baby' in Chinese, whom Bei-Bei instantly took a liking to it.
★ P e r s o n a l i t y
Open-minded, Patient, Obedient, Polite, Hard-working, Kind, Cautious, Worrywart, Private, Over-earnest, Gullible, Dense, Pushover, Easily Enamored
Tae-Joon is an open-minded character who accepts people and magical beings of all shapes and sizes. In fact, he doesn't quite understand why there is a prejudice against being different. Despite understanding this, he is quite self-conscious about his mean-looking face and has a slight complex about it. With the addition of his tattoos and piercings, it doubles his concern with how others read him. But as his mother told him: "those who are quick to pass judgement and dislike you for it are the types of people you shouldn't be concerned about". Although this doesn't change the fact that he still worries and cries easily and is very cautious with how he approaches others; he is the type that never means to offend anyone and can be over-earnest with defending his moralities. He's also quite private for these reasons and will not share his personal stories or opinions in fear of being judge. Over time though, he does slowly open up. Additionally, as a Hufflepuff, it is notable that he is patient with how he interacts with others. Even with his easily enamored and easy-to-impress personality, he doesn't act on his affections and will not treat them any better per se, as he believes in fairness and equality.
If he was being honest with himself though, his mean-looking face, lacking height and questionable grades make him even more self-conscious of being a good partner.However, he is also quite dense and rarely knows when another person is using him for personal gains. He his infamous for being a pushover and is taken advantage of for his gullible nature. His kindness if often abused by others asking for multiple favours, mostly from people in Jamie's fanclub. However, Tae-Joon rarely minds as he enjoys helping others and enjoys being obedient and is very polite to people he has just met.
★ H i s t o r y
TL;DR: Raised in the muggle world but moved away from Korea due to conflicts on the Japanese-Korean borders. Lived in Britain but still got into arguments about the muggle versus wizardry societies. As his older brother received a letter to Hogwarts and the family dealing with enough about muggle versus wizardry conflicts, they moved once more into a Hogsmeade neighborhood with the extended Li wizarding family supporting them. Would get a letter into Hogwarts at the age of 12, and is beyond ecstatic about his school life and the friends he made in Hufflepuff.
His childhood/upbringing:Tae-Joon and his older brother were born in Seoul, South Korea in the muggle world but was told about the wizarding world and the extended half-blooded Li family since a comprehensible age. Having always been rather scared of the paranormal and 'strange things' though, he was quite fearful of magical creatures and magic for quite some time in his younger years. To ease his discomfort, his mother would often baby him with love and affection. Noted, his mother had always believed that the two children would not be born with magic as she was a squib who married a muggle, passing down a dominant muggle heritage. She just wanted to share her family's heritage with them and allow them to develop an unbiased understanding of the different worlds. But as fate would have it, both children began showing signs of magic and Tae-Joon eventually began to fall in love with magic and its properties, despite still being easily spooked by scary stories.
The Second Witch Trials:Tae-Joon and his brother were 5 and 7 respectfully when the second witch trials occurred. Though they have no real memories of the televised news reports, both of them knew something bad was happening with how worried and upset their mother seemed from the events. They had a rough understanding from their father's simple explanation that muggles and wizardry-folk weren't getting along, but they wouldn't comprehend the consequences until they were older. The family remained in Korea for another year, but the quick-rising conflicts in Japan near Korea's borders reconfirmed the family's need to move to a safer location. They chose to migrate to Britain as the extended Li family mirrored their choice and moved to one of the growing Hogsmeade neighborhoods.
Moving to Hogsmeade and entering Hogwarts:Despite Britain's rather neutral stance, it wasn't a rare occurrence for individual muggles insulting the magical community. The brothers themselves got into a few arguments over the years trying to reinforce their unbiased thoughts (as they didn't want people speaking poorly of people like their mother and extended family), only to have ill-mannered muggles criticize them for being related to "freaks" and "weirdos". It would take another five years until Tae-Joon's elder brother received a letter for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and the extended Li family to convince Tae-Joon's mother to migrate once more, but into the wizarding world. Deciding it was best for their sons, despite being accustomed to the muggle world, they migrated once more into a Hogsmeade neighborhood surrounded by their compassionate and close-knitted wizarding family who kindly aided the muggle-dominant family to get accustomed to the magical world. Two years later, Tae-Joon received his letter and got sorted into Hufflepuff.
School life in Hogwarts:Tae-Joon was a bit nervous about attending Hogwarts as he lived a majority of his life in the muggle world, but was excited at the same time. However, being sorted into Hufflepuff was probably the best for him and his rather self-conscious personality as many of his fellow dorm mates were beyond kind. He finally felt like he had a place to belong with other understanding like-minds who were all just as excited about magic as he was. It wasn't like the muggle world where he was discriminated and judged for both his looks and stance on the magical world, although that still affects his personality to this day. He has made more friends within the first few years of Hogwarts than he would have ever expected, but continues to show poor academic standings. In contrast, his skill in practical magic demonstrates great potential, making his parents delighted to see how much he has prospered from moving to the wizarding world.
Opinion/stance about the looming threat:Tae-Joon is beyond thankful for his mother's early conversations and explanations about the differences between the two societies as he grew up. However, as an individual who has experienced both sides of the world as a 'muggle' and as a muggleborn wizard, he has personal conflicts on his stance about the looming threat. He wishes for the world to be perfect and for the two societies to live in harmony, but knows that's easier said than done. Overall, he just hopes that there will be no more extreme happenings like the Second Witch Trials occurring on either side of the fronts, and prays that there can be a civilized debate about it or something of the sorts. But for now, he'll absorb as much information as he can about the two sides and enjoy his last year to the best of his abilities. If he wants to be of any help to either communities and be of use to protect his family and loved ones, he must first graduate with better grades and learn as much about magic as he can.
★ R e l a t i o n s h i p s
• Tae-Hyeon Park: Father, 49, Muggle. Without knowledge of the wizarding world prior to his marriage, Tae-Hyeon is an open-minded muggle who loves his wife and family as they are. He worked in the muggle world as a high school nurse.
• Julia Li: Mother, 45, Squib. From a half-blood wizarding family, Julia is an affectionate and loving wizard-born with no magical powers. She worked in the muggle world as a high school counselor.
• Tae-Song (Tyson) Park: Brother, 20, Muggleborn. Former Ravenclaw. Works part-time as a tattoo artist in the muggle world and is taking post-secondary classes in the wizarding world, doubling as an intern research assistant.
• Relationships with classmates can now be found HERE
★ A d d i t i o n a l I n f o r m a t i o n
Tattoos and piercings:
• Has a pair of tattoos around his wrists and will always keep them covered during school hours, even if he's sweltering in heat since he doesn't want to break the dresscode rules.
• Gullible and thinking his older brother had the best intentions, he only has tattoos because Tae-Song convinced him that he could easily cover it up with makeup, or a spell if worse came to worse. Overall, he doesn't regret his decision in the long-run despite the complications.
• His tattoos are an ode to the second witch trials; the stippling design represents the ashes fading but also growing into new forms of life via trees, the birds represents moving on and hope, as the moon can guide them to their next lives.
• His brother may have also been the influence for his pierced ears. But now that he has them, he does enjoy switching out different piercings now and then.
School and Education:
• Is excellent with practical lessons (those that usually involve magic), but he is dramatically horrendous with remembering historical facts. How he is a 7th year is questionable, even to his parents.
• Is deathly worried about getting caught with Bei-Bei during class times, but has made arrangements with the few understanding teachers. Otherwise, he tries to keep Bei-Bei in the dorms with Jamie's cat, Poki, so she wouldn't be alone.
• Unsure of what to do after graduation. On one hand, he really wants to aid the wizarding defenses, but on the other hand he wants to return the the muggle world to 'infiltrate' the system and calm down the desire for muggle-kind to overpower the wizarding world.
• Barely managed to get his License to Apparate during his 6th year, but does have his license.
• Despite lacking in study skills, he does frequent the library and enjoys its atmosphere there; often found in the back corner of the library unless he's being tutored at a main seating area.
• Slightly disappointed with his lack of height; his father and brother are both quite tall. Noted, he got his lack of height from his mother's side of the family as he and his mother are the same height.
All the more easier for her to hug and love him though.
• Tae-Joon and Tae-Song have different surnames by their mother's choice and father's approval; she wanted to have a son carry down her husband's surname and another son to carry her own. (It was just luck that they had two sons in a row.)
• Raised to be quite a mama's boy (much like his brother). He is very close with his family and loves both his parents and brother very much.
• Is partially colour blind; he will often mistaken reds, greens and blues and has a hard time discerning dark values. As a result, he often befriends people of different houses since he has a hard time noticing the colours of the uniform.
• Enjoys hugs and affection, but feels like it's not his place to initiate any friendly intimacy in fear of scaring them off with his appearance.
• Is really bad at getting out of bed, no matter the time of day. He takes about an hour to roll out of bed (hence why he has to wake up extra early) and has a bad habit of snuggling against blankets or with his giant plush-toy octopus his mother made him.
• Despite his looks, he is spooked easily and cries easily.
• Is surprisingly quite skilled at singing with a Baritone voice. His cooking on the other hand is passable as most of the things he cook are bland, even if they look gourmet.
• Can eat almost anything and everything as he seems to have a lack of a fine palette. Even Botts Every Flavour Beans doesn't phase him...
• He easily falls for people with soft looking and/or fluffy hair for some reason
★ R P M e t h o d s
• (Semi) Literate > Script: I tend to write 2~3+ paragraphs as a starter, but I don't expect the same if you're not comfortable with it; I eventually reply to as much as I get from you. I can script anytime, usually for shorter RPs though.
• GoogleDocs = Forum = Skype > Notes > Comment: I am good with most things actually, and I like them for different reasons. Mostly for archiving. But I tend to only like comment RPs for short, slap-stick kinda things.
✔ Mutual headcannoning is preferred,
✔ throwing art at people when I have time,
✔ and getting to know people between RPing! MOST DEF THIS PART. ♥
Chocolate Frog x1
"if u eat too many u will get fat"
The rat turns towards his owner, whiskers twitching curiously, then spots another human nearby --the one who sometimes carries sunflower seeds. He scurries towards this shorter Hufflepuff boy, then utters a loud squeak to get his attention, looking quite expectant as he waited for the other's response.
"Sorry... he says 'trick-or-treat'," Gavril says, approaching Joon with a huff of a laugh.
The rat approaches Tae-Joon without hesitation to take the treats, snatching them with his little paws and bringing them to his teeth to break at the hard outer shell and get into the seeds inside. His ears twitch and there’s a small cracking sound as he works at it.
“Ah, yeah, thanks!” Gavril says, grinning as he reaches over to take the box. “Happy Halloween!” He looks down at D’Art, who’s leaving crumbs all over the floor, and gives a huff of a sigh as the pockets the box, and kneels down to remove his pet from the small mess.
As if sensing this, D’Art gathers the rest of the seeds up as best as he could, then clambers up his owner’s outstretched arm. He was so large that Gavril ended up having to cradle him.
“Anyways, I’ll see you around, yeah, Joon?” He offers a brief smile, then begins to make his way to the fifth year’s dorm.
Aha, I like your little notes on Bei-Bei!
Pfft, is Jamie's fanclub an official thing? XD Poor Joon getting abused by other folks, though.
Wow, your profile has a lot of content --it makes me feel better about Gavril's own wall of text, haha. I like all the stuff you've written though --seems like you really thought his backstory through --both your writing and your art are really nice. ;u;
I like the bit about the partial color blindness and how it results in him having more friends from other houses. :3
If you're ever interested in an RP or a chat, do hit me up! I like getting to know other folks too, so it would be fun.
I think Leafy made it an official thing, I'm not sure if there are real characters in it though, or just NPCs lol. X3
Many thanks again for all the kind words~
But yea, I don't like making characters unless I think about all the little details haha~ More fun that way~
Aight! Will do!
*high-fives* Dude, I am all about the details... I don't have enough skill/practice to apply it to art, but I pretty much bombard my characters with backstory writing. It's where all the fun is, yes!
Dude, I so feel you. XD
*patpat* I feel you. School's not my problem, and strangely enough, I'm alright after work, more or less. It's the social life that drains me --my friends all like doing things, and going out with them is fun, but definitely tiring. *facepalm* I am an extrovert, but a very mild one...with introverted tendencies. XD
Ahaha, that's good then! Do what you can~
Ooooh. Yea, going out with friends drains me too. orz;;
But this is speaking from an introvert so. LOL;; Everything kinda KOs me. XD;;
Aww. *patpat* I actually like talking with peeps online though; that doesn't really drain me at all. I guess it's because I'm allowed to go at it at my own pace. X3
Mhm! It's like meeting new ppl! <33
Oooh yea, haha. If I get tired though, I tend not to reply to messages so I can see the 'my pace' kinda thing. But I feel kinda guilty if I hold it off too long. XD;;
Yep, and that's always fun. : )
*nod* I get that. XD I try to respond because if I hold it off, I'd forget. Usually I respond in 2-3 days.
Fixed now; added Alchemy to his electives!
ARE YOU TRYING OUT? * U *
YES I AM.. SOB.. BUT I MISSED APP CHECKS I AM SCARE
also I made a new skype hi I didn't get to add you yet ; 0 ;
SUCH AND ADORABLE AND SHORTIE PUFF SENPAI. Don't worry Amil is always willing to help with Academic
"i'm foreseeing some bad luck in your near future, but a lunch date with me in the courtyard tomorrow should bring good fortune"
I think Bei-Bei and Imi can play a bit since they like to sneak out with Joon and Amil ~
TJ: "Again? ;T Good thing I have you to dispel my luck all the time. ; A ; Thank you!" //chOKES FOREVER BELIEVING AMIL;;;
Hehehe, I think so too~ <33
Fluffy butties~ <33 8D b
Bei-bei is popular, haha~ More popular than Joon~ OHOHOHO~ //cHOKES //HORRIBLE PARENT
UR BBY IS THE QT THO~ AND CAP TOO, HEHE~~ <33
HAHAHA~ Poki is a good kitty tho; apparently too lazy to nom the hammu, HAHAHA~
lol very lazy kitty I see. Well that's good for Bei-Bei at least : D
Mhm! Please don't get eaten Bei-Bei. Joon has already been through a few hamsters