Hey, everybody. Rainbine here and I know that I said that I was going to do my Fate/Apocrypha review, but since today is the official release date for A Matter of Principals, I figured let's just get this out the way now and I do the other review either later tonight or tomorrow. So, let's talk about MLP Season 8, Episode 14 (Or 15. I don't know anymore), A Matter of Principals.
Now, remember. Everything I say in this review is just my opinion. If you happen to disagree, that's perfectly fine.
What is the plot of the episode?
So the plot is basically the Mane 6 get called by the cutie map and go deal with a friendship problem, but because it's all six of them, they fear that they have no one to watch the school and teach the students while they're away. So, Twilight decides to let Starlight watch over the school until her and the rest of the mane 6 get back. Discord wants to help with some new rules, but Starlight declines and says that the rules that Twilight set are just fine. Discord doesn't like that, so he starts messing with her and the students.
What do I think the Positives of the episode are?
1. The comedy was okay. I wouldn't say it made me laugh out loud, but there were some funny moments scattered throughout the episode.
2. There were some returning characters in this episodes like Iron Will, Cranky Doodle Donkey, Trixie, Maud Pie, and Spitfire. Cranky and Iron Will, I wasn't too excited to see because I'm not super attached to these two characters. However, seeing Trixie and Maud was pretty cool and seeing Spitfire again was a nice treat too cause I think she one of the most underrated characters of the show.
3. I think a lot of you knew this was coming, but Starlight Glimmer once again proved that she's a great character. She took the job as Principal of the school while Twilight was away and did it pretty well considering that Discord was trying to screw with her. And I know people are going to say 'But Starlight didn't let Discord help her.' Well, I think the reason for that is because this is Discord we're talking about and while I like the guy, he's plans of the school would probably involve a lot of chaos. Plus, who is Starlight is going to listen to? Someone who she rarely talks or someone who has given her a second chance and took her in as her student? I think one out weighs the other.
Also, when she banished Discord from the school, that makes sense, because Discord got Yona hurt and that on top of Discord annoying her and questions her about her abilities as a principal, she had enough of him. Like if someone was annoying me that much, I'd probably snap too. And even at the end of the episode, Starlight realizes that Discord did all of this because he felt left out of the group and he was trying to help, she felt bad about it, and apologized to him for not taking the time to listen to what he has to say.
It shows that Starlight is growing as a character and as someone who loves the character, I really enjoyed that.
What do I think the Negatives of the episode are?
1. While I did understand why Discord did what he did to a certain degree, I still don't like the way he acted in the episode. I mean, he's was constantly screwing over Starlight, making incredibly poor decisions like choosing people like Cranky and Iron Will to be teachers who have no right to be there, and actually got Yona hurt. And he did all of that just because he was salty at Starlight. Come on, Discord. You're better than that. You have way more character development than that. Where did the hell did it go in this episode?
2. Like I said in the positives, there were some funny moments scattered through the episode, but a majority of the jokes don't land and it just makes roll my eyes.
What's my Final Verdict on the episode?
Despite my issues I have with this episode, I still enjoyed it for what it was. Defiantly better than some of the other Season 8 episode recently. I like it better than Marks for Effort, The Mean Six, and especially Yakity-Sax. However, if you are not a fan of Starlight Glimmer like or you hate Discord like or a combination of the two, you are not going to like this episode. But me personally, I'm giving this episode...
...a 3.5 out of 5 Stars. It was Pretty Damn Good.
Anyway, what do you guys think of A Matter of Principals? Did you enjoy the episode? Did you hate the episode? Let me know in the comments and like I said, either tonight or tomorrow, I should have my review of Fate/Apocrypha soon. Thank you so much for reading and I'll see you guys later. Peace.
A Matter of Principals Score;
Didn't like it.
Discord was insufferable. He bullied everyone around him, nearly getting kids hurt in the process because he doesn't care about anyone but himself, and almost gets REWARDED for it. Just think about that, he very nearly gets rewarded for being the biggest bully around because he's so much stronger than everyone else. What kind of messed-up message is that? Push around those weaker than you until you get what you want? Might makes right?
And that's on top of the fact that he tricked all his other supposed friends into leaving in the first place, all so he could be in charge and do whatever the heck he wants. I'm sorry, but there is a point at which you need to question whether someone deserves to be called a friend in the first place, and Discord is close to crossing that line.
Worst episode of the season.
i did fairly like this episode and the showed the next episode on youtube if you wanna see it
I like this episode. But Discord was a bratty jerk.
I didn’t hate the episode since it showed starlight at some of her best but discord grated on me so much throughout it. It was satisfying when starlight blasted him.
Believe it or not as much as I don't like Starlight but I think she was in the right in the episode BUT AS FOR DISCORD HE WAS AWFUL and ill go over why I hated him in the episode.