- Listening to: talking heads
- Reading: turt
- Watching: turt
- Playing: turt
- Eating: hot dog
- Drinking: pep
So this past 5 months I've taken this beginning animation class at my college and I've gotten the hang of it so far. I feel I need to learn much more but in all honesty animating is not really my thing. But enjoy this little reel anyway.
Also on Vimeo because the teacher wanted us to put our reels in there. Now I'm a pretentious film student with my 4 subscribers.
- Listening to: deep purple
- Reading: another book
- Drinking: beer
1. Post These Rules.
2. Post 8 Facts About Your Character.
3. Tag 8 Other People; Post Their Avatars & Write Their OC's Names Next To Them.
8 FACTS ABOUT MUTE!
1. Mute was born a mime, raised as a mime, and went to a all-arts academy to study pantomime techniques.
2. Aside from being a mime she has worked several odd jobs
3. Mute doesn't like clowns only when they're competitive and unkind to mimes.
4. Mute's favorite kind of foods are pastries and panini sandwiches.
5. On rare occasions Mute can do some magic tricks. She's one of the only few mimes out there that can do any kind of Houdini or Penn & Teller magic.
6. She can immediately change into different outfits by just spinning very fast like in them cartoonies.
7. She's my little mime princess
8. She can beat y'all in Fortnite!
Not tagging anyone.
i don't even write journals anymore, only when its desired.
- Eating: your mom
- Drinking: crackers
- Listening to: johnny cash
- Watching: gameplay vids
- Eating: noodles
- Drinking: juice :)
Well see ya Brian! Thanks for the fucking steak.
- Listening to: Deftones
- Reading: an artbook I DON'T have
- Eating: pasta
- Drinking: pepso
- dA Username: rachetcartoons
- Name: Brandan Siroky
- Nicknames and/or Preferred Names: Just simply "Rachet" or as the ladies prefer me as "The Schlong Meister"
- Country: 'Murica!
- Zodiac Sign: Taurus
| YOUR DA
- Number of Past Accounts: 0
- Number of Past Usernames: 1
- First Username: brandan97
- Original Join Date: June 14, 2014
- Premium Member? Yea for now.
- Watchers: 945 (near 1K cool)
- Deviations: 1,087 (not counting journals)
- Favorites: Let's just say up to more than 2000 fucking favorites.
- Favorite Digital Art Program: Medibang Paint Pro. It's really good however I use PS occasionally.
- Favorite Traditional Art Medium: Brush pens
- Favorite dA Artists: Atrox-C, Jurassiczalar, EarthVStheDerek, exkhale, JustinDurden, MissButlerArt, themsjolly, JIMENOPOLIX they're awsum.
- Favorite Movies: The Devil's Rejects, Clerks, Evil Dead 2, Forrest Gump, Goodfellas, Tombstone, Sleeping Beauty, Original Star Wars Trilogy, The Muppet Movie '79, Ed Wood, and many more.
- Favorite TV Shows: Archer, Aqua Teen, Venture Bros, The Simpsons, Futurama, early Spongebob, Metalocaypyse, Bottom, Seinfeld, SOA.
- Favorite Music Artists/Bands: Black Sabbath, Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull, Dream Theater, Rush, NIN, Judas Priest, Alice In Chains, Soulfly, and more.
- Fandoms You're Stuck In: I don't really get into a specific fandom anymore but i'll elaborate (this is post 2010 btw): Adventure Time (2010-2015), Anime as a whole I guess (2011-2016), SvTFOE (2015-2017), and...fuck it time to come clean, MLP:FiM (2012-2014)
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
- Religious Affiliation: Standard Christian i dunno.
- Pets: Does the cockroach under my bed count?
- Number of Family Members in Household: 3 mofos (jk they're lovely)
- Scars? On my back (edgy right?)
- Tattoos? Maybe later?
- Piercings? Nah
- Alcohol? Had a few beers and wines.
- Drugs? No
- Height: I'm a 5 foot something
- Weight: 150 something pounds
- Digital or Traditional? Digital, but doing traditional is relaxing and therapeutic sometimes.
- Beach or Mountains? I'm a beach guy.
- Dolphins or Sharks? Sharks all the way. Just don't have any cuts or any trace of blood.
- Would you rather fight 100 third graders or one at a time? I'm only able to take down three.
- On sunny days, you: just go out for a walk if I'm feeling it.
- On rainy days, you: Do what everyone does, splash in the mud like little piggies!
- On hot days, you: Swim occasionally
- On cold days, you: Stay inside, fuck cold weather.
| TEN FACTS ABOUT YOURSELF
- I have pretty high metabolism
- I can play guitar and drums, and sometimes keyboard.
- As much as I love animation and want to pursue it I have an interest in making live action films too.
- I've met 7 celebrities so far.
- I've had at least one girlfriend
- I also enjoy cooking and I could make a mean burger or some tasty homemade Italian stuff like pizza and certain pastas.
- This is a seventh fact!
- I don't like working out but I do like doing those pull ups.
- The the past two years I've become what the locals call me an "e-celeb"
- i'm a pretty big fan of cult cinema.
| YOUR CHARACTERS
- How many OCs do you have? 9 main characters from all my past/current series.
- What fandom do most of them belong to? Um what? None of them, well I wanted Clarissa to be into Doctor Who but I never got around that idea.
- Which one is your favorite? So far as of recent its Mute The Mime.
- Which one do you draw the most? Again Mute, but before it was estimated that Clarissa was the one character I drew the most.
- Do you request work of them? Sometimes.
- Do you ship them with other people's characters, or your own? Fuck no. That's some 13-year-old Wattpad user shit right there but I don't really mind other people shipping my characters. Doesn't bother me.
- Do you roleplay with them? Ew RPing.
- How do you keep track of them? When I'm currently using them duh.
- Are there any that you would make real if you had the chance? I'd make Mute real.
| ART QUESTIONS
- When did you get into art? I think around the age of 4 or 5. I just drew random cars and people with triangles for bodies. I'll have to dig up my old ass childhood doodles someday.
- What art-related sites have you ever signed up for? DA first. I thought of other places including my own website but I;m currently working around to making those. I can't stay on DA forever y'know.
- Show us your oldest piece of art you have on hand. Brandan (what was I thinking when I uploaded this)
- What defines your artistic style? Simple yet distinctive character designs with clean crisp linework. A bold retro-aesthetic setting with muted/pop-out colors or monochromatic blends.
- What levels of artistic education have you had? Majoring in Graphic Design & Illustration, Since 2015 I've been taking professional art classes and this coming semester will be my last for junior college. I've recently took a life drawing class where I saw titties and dick (I guess I'm bi now )
- What do you like most about your art? How most of my recent works looks TV or classic cartoon quality somewhat.
- What do you like least about your art? Maybe when I make a one-off character and I realize that's a horrible design. Pilot Girl suffered from this problem.
- Have you ever considered taking commissions? I really want to. But I just gotta set up some things first like completing my Paypal account. They'll be open soon guys.
- Are you looking to pursue a career in art? Of course! Probably more leaning towards comic artist/illustrator like children books and graphic novels than animation. Storyboard artist is also a thought. Pretty much going the Mo Willems route.
- What do you like drawing the most? Just cartoons. Not just cartoons, RACHETcartoons!
- What do you like drawing the least? Overly detailed nonsense like let's say a steampunk character with super accurate anatomy.
- Do you draw more fanart or original art? Original art. I like to make fanart once in a while, it depends on what I'm currently into.
- What would you absolutely refuse to draw? Disgusting bullshit like diaper girls or weight gain.
- What is your purpose for drawing? Because one) It's my one and only skill, and two) I love to entertain people with my cartoons and comics.
- What medium/program do you use the most in your art? Didn't you already ask me this in the Favorites section?
- List at least one of your “art inspirations.” Picasso. Done.
- What do you think you could stand to improve on? Backgrounds, that's pretty much it.
Oh and Clarissa & Friends is still cancelled .
So here's an update on whats to come for my epic Wievtube channel in 2018. First, in the past couple of months I've came up with two new concepts for a new series. I still have to develop much more for them but hopefully I can get them finished and make a storyboard/script or two for them. Looking forward to putting them out anyway.
Second, the Mute comic series is set to start in 2018. Aside from making a couple quick comics this year I was intending to start the official series in 2017 but went for the scenario drawings instead. Only because I still wanted to test the waters of Mute as a character. Also for Mute I'm also gonna incorporate more supporting characters like her family members, give them a chance in the spotlight. So expect that.
Third, You'll probably see some more experimental and more contemporary realistic-looking art from me like painted backgrounds and such. 2018 will be the year I will tend avoid repetition and expand my horizons a bit.
And lastly, expect the same for Hatboy & Hatgirl. Maybe more longer comics because I have such crazy ideas for them.
That's it. Happy New Year,
- Listening to: Eurythmics
- Watching: crap
- Playing: crap
Anyway sorry if I never did your RQ, I just don't have it in me to do them anymore like in the old days.
Well, it had now resurfaced:
Turns out it was some Czech cartoon translated 'About Dressy Sally' (that may be wrong because I used few translators and wanted to avoid Google Translate lol). Well it's about 90% accurate to what people described it as, and they were right about the South Park-like animation. To me the animation reminds me of the music video of Tool's The Pot. I found the short to be mildly creepy but rather harmless and maybe not creepy at all to Eastern Europeans. Overall its actually a neat little short. All I can say is that Pinwheel imported a lot of weird and bizarre shit back in the day.
- Listening to: Symphony X
Rules: Take the first 10 pics you posted on DeviantArt (or the earliest pics you have now that you haven't stored away or deleted), and answer the following questions:
1.How long ago were these pics posted?
2. What do you consider to be your favorite of these first ten? (“They all suck” is a cop out!)
The Bee & Puppycat one and the first Fink & Jack AT joke art, since I still kinda like them and they're currently hanging on my wall. I'm not saying they're considered GOOD by today's standards, but these are just early works i'm not too embarrassed of.
3. What pic do you consider to be the weakest?
That self portrait. There is so much wrong in it and I just mindlessly uploaded it to DA as my first submission.
4. Are the subjects of these pics still something you draw or have interest in?
Yea kinda as far as fanart goes. The Fink & Jack stuff was made for the Adventure Time phase I had through 2010-2015.
5. Is there any pic you’d probably not post even if you drew it today?
Anime Peanuts. I would've made a better version today tho.
6. Do you recall any vaguely interesting memories on any of these pics (either drawing or the response to them)?
The Paula drawing was originally drawn while attending a crappy prep rally back in 11th grade. I colored it much later. Another one was for the Peabody & Sherman drawing which was my first ever request for someone (who was apparently some kind of meme kid).
7. Is there anything you look at with these pics and wouldn’t mind trying again?
8. Do any of these pics still get any comments/favorites/notice?
Not really. With the exception of the Clarissa and Paula pics these classics are underground obscure.
9. Is there anything you see in these pics that you still find difficult?
I'll just say hands. while I've gotten better at them I still find them pretty hard to HANDle (kick me).
10. Do you feel these pics were a help in getting to where you are today as an artist?
Maybe the Clarissa and Fink & Jack ones. It wasn't 'til much much later where I started to really improve and get noticed on here and elsewhere.
I feel as if needed to get this off my chest for a LONG time. This is a very important update regarding the current state for my series Clarissa & Friends. This will be one of those rare times where i’m serious in a journal entry so I recommend anyone who likes or even cares about C&F to read thoroughly just to get what i’m trying to get across. Get comfy because it’s gonna be a long one.
As of recent months and the reason for the lack of C&F related content on my DA/Twit/Tapas/etc. Is because I’ve grown tiresome and unsatisfied with the series as a whole. There really isn’t much to work with and the series’ structure is an overall mess from the way I see it. I just don’t see further potential in this cartoon and I feel completely scrapping or shelving it might be the best option i can give it. This update journal will be divided into three sections: The short retrospective, the scrapping of concepts/characters, and my reasons why Clarissa & Friends became a flawed semi-disaster from its longevity. And I’ll explain what’s to come of the series/other in the future.
Part I: A Little Retrospective
Clarissa & Friends has been running for 3 years now, ever since I opened my DA account. I’ve made so many little comics and lots of scenario drawings of the characters. It helped jump start my recognition online and even made some friends with this little cartoon. Now looking back at its early years (and my early days as an online user/artist) makes me cringe a little. Most of everything from 2014-15 and even early parts of 2016 is rather shitty and numskull while not being all completely terrible. It was just me being a naive little fuck that threw any little idea in the water whether it would float or sink. I did a lot of dumb shit with C&F such as the Ask my OCs thing, the New Years Party thing, numerous journal entries about the series fantasizing about the series being an actual Hollywood thing, the Paula twitter account, and the worst offender of all: Rachel The Angel (eeeeugh). There were probably others I forgot but those are the prime examples. But then again half of those were just experiments of testing my characters and seeing how they would play out and interact. After all 2015 was my most experimental year and the year I achieved for major improvement. The main reason I created this series is ‘cause for my love of the underrated urban adult comedy sub-genre (i.e. Mission Hill, MTV’s Downtown, Kitty Bobo, and hell a bit of King Of the Hill for good measure). The very early C&F material I made was just out of late high school anxieties and was a form of escape. It was my one and only favorite series. But now with Hatboy and Mute the Mime coming into existence and the latter two being more fun/easier to write, draw, and explore I just no longer see the purpose of continuing Clarissa & Friends.
Part II: The Scrapping-Shelving Doublemix
I’ve decided to scrap some characters and ideas that just either didn’t work well or just failed in the first place. First the characters:
Her personality was poorly-developed and she never seemed to work well with the other characters. The cute young girl with an edgy darkside trope has been done to death and having her as a raunchy little bitch was one of the factors of my weak points in developing characters. So yea, she sucked. Not many people liked her and I don’t really like her. Scrapped.
Micah, Xavier, and CJ were just...there. I never really used them for anything other than a few drawings. I made these as filler characters. Now I want nothing to do with them. Scrapped!
While i feel a little bummed about scrapping him I feel him being a calmer stoner than Paula seems tacky and derivative. I MAY use him for something else but with a completely different getup and motivational drive. Shelved.
-Paula (as a main character)
Yep Paula fans sorry to break your glass weed pipes but I've grown sick of having a stoner as a main character. Why: because not realizing until late last year she was just a bland potsmoker with not much interesting traits about her. “She smokes weed. Yea what else?” I want to have engaging characters not one-dimensional eye candy for a certain audience. I may use her for something else or not too so undecided.
-Aidan (as a main character)
It seems having an edgy half-emo metalhead wasn’t as hot as I thought it would be back then. After all I never did too much with this guy, nor I made him much of what he was supposed to be: an edgy guy. So yea it’s best to let this guy go. Scrapped.
Now for the ideas/stories/etc.
-Remakes of older pieces/comics: I’ve had the idea that I wanted to remake certain C&F material just to fix mistakes or to make it not shit anymore. Stuff such as Bonfire, When Clarissa Met Ben, and some of the 2014 stuff. But with my recent decreasing motivation for the series I no longer have the desire to remake such past work.
-Full episode scripts: I’ve written at least one full script: The Shoobieshank Redemption and I have a couple unfinished ones. One of those unfinished ones was called “Bryson Gets Molested”. With my drive leaning more towards drawing and writing minimum material I get very lazy and unmotivated when it comes to writing scripts. And that’s not good. I also need to get better at it since writing long stretches of fiction is not my forte.
-The Pitch Bible: I was working on a pitch bible of this cartoon just for future consideration if I ever get my foot in the industry but stopped halfway completing it. No one would probably want this mess of a series anyway.
-Paula’s Drug Adventure: There were gonna be episodes where Paula enters a strange world after taking some special kind of weed. It would’ve been very tedious to make and I already do enough psychedelic stuff with Mute The Mime (sorta).
-Paula’s origin story: I wanted to make a thing where we look how and why Paula is a stoner in the first place.
-Aidan’s Crush on Paula
Now this wasn’t really necessary since randomly having a main character crush on another is unneeded unless purposely done for the concept’s matter. Hell I was even thinking of making a comic where Paula and Aidan do accept each other and even kiss. I’ll be glad I scrapped this later on.
-The Clarissa & Friends Movie script: Yes I had an idea for a C&F movie I’m that insane. This was conceived last year but around the same time later I decided to shelve the idea then now scrap it. The movie was basically gonna be this road trip comedy where the gang gets into all kinds of crazy shit. It sounded better in my head but jotting it down on script nah.
Part III: Everything Wrong with C&F
Here are the main problems that the cartoon suffered from:
-The bleak characters: Only half of the main characters like Clarissa and Bryson were the strongest. Everyone else were either sub-par to mediocre character development. Especially Paula. They just weren't engaging enough and were just examples of my somewhat early lazy character/world building skills.
-Nothing is really interesting about the series anymore: with very few Clarissa material being put out it’s a sign that i’m getting immensely bored with the series and want to move on with other more interesting projects.
-Little premise: The series’ main premise isn’t really much nor is it intriguing enough for some people. This cartoon is just about people hanging out, nothing else nothing more. Hatboy and Mute have better premises while being simple and having a better foundation to work with.
-The poor writing: I’m not very good at writing long episodic stories and for the most part the writing in C&F either fell flat or failed altogether. I wanted to incorporate that early Adult Swim type of humor with a blend of raunchiness but overall most of the results just didn’t work correctly. The sexual innuendos and jokes were some of the worst examples.
-The art hasn’t progressed much: While this isn’t much of a problem I feel that i’ve should’ve realized that the designs could’ve been a little better. While Clarissa and others’ designs have evolved over time I think for a series that’s supposed to appeal towards a more mature audience, could have more fitting character designs. C&F looks more like a Y7-rated kids show with its bright colors and minimal BG setting. But that’s just me.
-The random DA/social activities: Stuff like the Clarissa & Friends Group, the journals, and the Ask-my-OCs thing I did in 2015 was rather pointless but fun at the time. Again just me looking back at dumb shit I’ve done in the past. I’m also stepping down as admin of the C&F group.
So there’s my whole testimony on why I want to retire Clarissa & Friends. It seemed fine to keep for my early days on the internet but now that i’ve matured and progressed as an artist I think it’s time to pull the plug on the cartoon. Not only that but the characters were a pain in the ass to draw at times. My other cartoons like HB & HG and Mute are more interesting to me and I get a lot more enjoyment out of them than C&F. I want to continue Hatboy and even want to get the ball rolling with the Mute series, but the current state of C&F such as comics and drawings is over. Is this the complete end for the series? Well yes and no because later in the future I may want to make a major revision of the series, or just come up with a new series keeping that urban adult comedy aesthetic. But don’t expect that anytime soon. I may have sounded like if I was bitching about my dumb cartoon but I just wanted to express as a creator why my first established series ran out of momentum. Some of you may beg for me to continue the series and while I appreciate your fondness for the series my decision is final and I want to move on to bigger and better things. I will keep up all the C&F shit i’ve made over the years and may even upload some unfinished/unreleased works soon, but I tend to look forward into my other cartoons and let this one die slowly. The comic Lasting Memories was set as a sorta “farewell” to the series. Overall, I just want to progress with my other cartoons and any new ideas that come in the future because Clarissa & Friends was giving me nothing but stress.
- Listening to: van der graaf generator
- Watching: these movies duh
- Playing: not cuphead :(
Day 1: Bio-Zombie (生化寿尸) (Hong Kong, 1998)
Starting with Asia with this binge watch is Bio-Zombie. A good zombie flick blended with zombie shooter gorefest and comedy. Would give it a watch.
UPDATE: Wow I kinda forgot about all this lol but since it's Halloween now I'll just link some lists of recommended foriegn horror films to watch.
I did watch some international fright flicks but haven't got much time to update this journal when I could. But anyway Happy Halloweer.
- Listening to: Steve Hackett
- Watching: OK K.O. Let;s B Heros
- Playing: surgar sugar on coolmath games
"I act like a __ year-old".
[X] You know how to make a pot of coffee.
[X] You keep track of dates using a calendar.
 You know how to change the oil in a car.
[X] You've done your own laundry.
[X] You can vote in an election.
[X] You can cook for yourself.
[X] You think politics are interesting. (old school politics from history)
 You show up for school late a lot.
[X] You always carry a pen/pencil in your bag/purse/pocket.
 You've never gotten detention.
 You have forgotten your own birthday.
[X] You like to take walks by yourself.
[X] You know what credibility means without looking it up.
 You drink caffeine at least once a week.
[X] You know how to do the dishes
[X] You can count to 10 in another language.
[X] When you say you're going to do something you usually do it.
[X] You can mow the lawn.
[X] You study even when you don't have to.
[X] You have hand washed a car before.
[X] You can spell experience without looking it up.
 The people at Starbucks know you by name.
[X] Your favorite kind of food is take-out.
[X] You can go to the store without getting something you don't need.
[ ] You understand political jokes the first time they are said.
[X] You can type pretty quickly.
[X] Your only friends are from your place of employment.
 You have been to a Tupperware party.
[X] You have realized that practically no one will take you seriously unless you are over the age of 25 and have a job.
 You have more bills than you can pay.
[X] You have been to the beach.
[X] You use the internet every day.
[X] You have been outside 3 or more times a day
[X] You make your bed in the morning.
FINAL TOTAL: 25
- Watching: paint dry
- Watching: a hot dog
- Watching: a hot dog
- Listening to: kansas
- Watching: martial arts films
- Eating: hot dog
2. The answers must be written in your Oc's point of view.
3. The OC can't lie.
4. Journal's title should be OC Interview.
5. Tag as many people as you want.
6. Have fun!
Tagged By DSuarez1995
Today we interview the silently amazing and the quietly stunning Mute the Mime! Here's what she has to say.
1.- What is your real name and nickname?
2.- Interesting, what is your current age?
3.- What is your favorite food?
4.- And your favorite drink?
5.-Confession time, Who is your lover?
6.- Have you kissed anyone yet?
7.- Do you have a childhood sweetheart?
8.- Who is your favorite author?
9.- What is your biggest fear?
10.- Any siblings?
11.- Who is your worst enemy?
12.- Huh, okay. Who is your best friend?
13.- What would you do if you meet your creator?
14.- What do you want to be when you're grown up?
15.- What is your worst nightmare?
16.- What is your life long dream?
17.- What would you do if your dream came true?
18.- Okay, where is your favorite place to relax?
19.- Last question, what do you do most of the time?
Well thanks Mute for this amazing interview. Good luck in any future projects.
I tag no one
- Listening to: kansas
- Watching: martial arts films
- Eating: hot dog
I'm here to announce that I've just created a Tapastic (or Tapas whatever) account and will be posting all my future comics on there. The reason is that it saves a little bit of stress regarding uploading comic pages here on DA, and to expand my work to a different audience.
So go give it a looksie and subscribe to Clarissa & Friends on your library if you have an account on Tapas.
So far I've only put out Clarissa and will soon put Hatboy & Hatgirl and Mute The Mime on there eventually.
ALSO, I've also been thinking of doing an art jam. Been wanting to do one since last year almost, just haven't thought of a good theme yet. I plan to start the jam in the beginning of August and hoping if plenty of people will participate it'll be fun.