Sculpture type: kit mod
Work time: 1/1/2010-1/19/2010
Character : Seishirou from Clamp’s Tokyo Babylon and X ( I know he’s in Tsubasa also but that’s a different him… )
- fixit sculpt,
- magic sculpt mostly used (natural and flesh)
- Prosculpt for the coat only
-Clay shaper flat chistal extra firm size 6,
-Deni oven – for baking prosculpt
-Heavy duty scissors
-diluting oil for prosculpt,
-water to smooth magic sculpt.
-20-22 gauge wire for sunglass frame,
-transparency paper for sunglass lens.
-100, 220, 400, 600 sand paper.
-Base model: 1/5 Kaworu.
Seishirou is one of my favorite Clamp characters so I wanted to do a sculpture of him.
Base model: So the base model is 1/5 Kaworu from Evangelion. Initially I thought the cast wasn’t so bad, but it was really difficult to work with.
Scale: Typing in the character’s name and “cm” in google would always tell me the height. Of course with Seishirou I get about 4 different (185-198cm). I like to know the height so that I can know the scale. The model is about 32cm high. Using the highest or lowest number still brings the scale to 1/6 (by rounding ). So yay ^_^
Clothes: So because the model is extremely difficult to carve and sand, I changed very little of it. The finished model is going to be static pose. Originally I wanted to do a more dynamic pose…but that’s for scratch building. It works out well because Seishirou wears suits and long coats. So basically all his clothes can be sculpted on top of the base model and I don’t have to worry about trying to sand the impossible. His pants are almost fine the way they are. The original sculpt had Kaworu’s hands in his pants pockets. I thought it would be easier to have Seishirou’s hands in his coat pockets instead. So I sawed off (with much effort… ) the pockets.
I glued the sleeves and arms together but thinking about it now, I should have just scratch built these parts. It was difficult to do any sort of spacing between the arms and body because the sleeves were in the way.
So the plan was to build up the clothes in layers. His shirt was already there, except the collar part. I started out with Fixit Sculpt and did the upper part of the suit jacket. I then worked to fatten up the legs. They just seemed too skinny to me, (even in the original sculpt for Kaworu). Once that was done I attached the legs to the torso in order to do the lower half of the suit jacket, since it overlies the pants. I did this part with ancient flesh colored magic sculpt. Once that was done then I added the sleeves and arms and began to work on his shoulders. I got this as good as it was going to get.
Coat: When I worked on the coat, I thought to use Super Sculpey firm. I never tried it before but heard it was pretty durable so I wanted to try it. Since I don’t cast my stuff, I need pretty strong sculpting materials for the sculptures I do. So SS firm was pretty difficult for me to work with. It requires more force to join pieces together because of its firm consistency. It smoothed pretty well with diluting oil. So I thought to do the top half of the coat form fitting, heat that, then work on the bottom half. Since I didn’t fully join the pieces together, when I heated the top half, the bottom half collapsed.
So instead of trying again, I switched over to prosculpt. Prosculpt is pretty strong as well. When baked correctly its difficult to “nail indent” the cured clay. So heated the top half with a heat gun, then I worked on the bottom half. After that I removed the coat halves and baked them in my deni oven to really cure them. the weak areas were fixed with magic sculpt (I was running out of fixit sculpt and decided to go back to magic sculpt).
Hair: I wanted the bangs to be separate from the head. (It’s about the only part I’ll leave separate to paint when I sculpt) so I put some Vaseline down first. I did two versions of the hair. I really like the first type, but I guess it was more closer to Kamui’s hair then Seishirou’s, so hence the need for type two.
Sunglasses: they were made form 20 or 22 gauge wire. The lens were made out of transparency paper. I want to have the glasses removable. I did about 3 pairs.
Base: I really wanted to have him standing in front of a Sakura Tree, but the problem is that since he is so tall its hard to find a cheap tree in scale to him. So I settled for a few sakura magic sculpt petals instead. The grass was made from ancient magic smooth. This stuff is really really messy and sticky but it does the trick.
Painting: I use brush on primer because its more convenient for me now. I use liquitex gesso, matte medium and water mixed together so that the consistency of the gesso is thinner. I guess for this one I could have really used the black gesso. I hand brush this on. (it is easier to use a spray primer by far). The trick to applying this stuff is to use one fairly heavy coat. Apply it so that the primer is overflowing the area. Make sure there are no distinct brush strokes. Watch for areas that drip. Big airbubbles should be popped. Apply at the top first because it flows downward. When the primer dries, it sucks into itself, so all the details that were covered from heavy coating are visible again. Do not wet sand. Do not put a thin coat. Wait for the primer to completely dry before painting. I use this as primer for my resin model kits as well. The way I do it, its very messy, but its working so far for me.