Let's start with my first impression
of the full new Eclipse layout deviantart gave us a few days ago (www.deviantarteclipse.com
). I told WDWParksGal
it looks in many ways a lot like ARTstation, but however I would give it a try as it sounded promising. Although I directly had issues with the no gallery subfolders b/c this will turn private galleries as well as groups galleries into a mess.
Now beta-testers have the option to test the first release of Eclipse. To make it short:
Color me totally unimpressed
I got a newsletter first, telling my about the changes to Core memberships. So, short excerpt from that newsletter
What's New with Core:
- Deviants can make their work stand out by selecting new, Core-exclusive deviation backgrounds to complement their art. (These are coming soon.)
- Sta.sh storage has doubled from 10 GB to 20 GB.
- Prints Shop discount has increased from 10% to 20%.
- Receive prioritized customer support.
- Submit video to share films, tutorials, or progress work.
What's Changing with Core:
- Live Notifications have been removed. Instead, the feature has been improved for all deviants by making it easily accessible via a drop-down menu. Notifications can now be seen by clicking on the bell icon in the upper-right corner.
- Journals have been redesigned to be bold, beautiful, and easy-to-use. CSS Journal Skins have been replaced with a new journal editor that allows all deviants to easily create journals with customizable headers, easy formatting options, and the ability to showcase galleries of art.
- The look and feel of Gallery Folders and Collections have been updated to refocus the emphasis on art and favourites. The new design is available to all deviants.
- We understand the value of Critiques; however, in its current state, we've found the feature has not been maximized by the community. With the lack of usage, we've made the decision not to rebuild the feature in Eclipse, but our goal for the future is to find better ways to encourage deviants to write more meaningful, constructive comments.
- We've redesigned the Profile from the ground up, including Profile Widgets. Some widgets didn't make it into Eclipse, but we're already working on new additions, and we welcome your feedback.
- Gallery Stats are in the process of being revamped and we expect to share a new and improved look soon. In the meantime, Gallery Stats will not be available on Eclipse. Instead, we recommend taking advantage of the Google Analytics feature.
- Gallery Subfolders will also be unavailable in the short term, but they'll be up and running on your Profiles in the near future.
Let's see: One new thing, the backgrounds is "coming soon". No, just no!
You don't start a new layout with coming soon. Especially since deviantart's coming soon are usually equal to "DAZ soon". Prints shop discount and video submissions- pertains not to all members; both not really a selling point. Double sta.sh storage - nice; but if I look a the pricetag of a Core membership, also not a selling point.
Customer support - if and that's a big if, there isn't a completely new competent team, I highly doubt that will be a selling point as the customer support was always lousy.
Changes: I don't mind seeing the live notifications gone, most of the time I found them annoying. I never used Critiques either, so nothing lost there. Journals sound good from the description (we come to that later). Look and feel of Gallery Folders and Collections are no longer a Core feature only, while gallery stats and subfolders are once again a "coming soon" and therefore another no-go!
Profile Widgets, let's check first what is available....
Eclipse - The test
The Profile Page
The Profile page now called Home is a mess. It looks cluttered with gallery on the left side and deviant ID, followed by comments on the right side. Actually it looks like dA is trying to mimic ARTstation, but this is not the way to go. No Journal on this page anymore. (First thumb at end of journal, and yeah I screwed slightly up on some composing, done to hastily.)
There's a ginormous header with a black stripe in between as if it should only be half its size; and half size would be more than enough. Images can't be moved to a certain position (like FB banners) and the image gets blown up if it's too small which makes it blurry. Yikes!
What should be the exact size? Help doesn't tell. Also the 50px avatar is blown up now and therefore blurry as hell. You call that an improvement??
There are only 6 additional widgets right now, none of them is a custom widget; the widgets on the left under the gallery are all the same, just different location. So from now on all profiles look basically the same, no individuality anymore . Gone, phoof!
The footer is way too big, old layout had the option to minimize it - bring it back! (that goes actually for all pages as the footer is on all of them this big.) Why is the footer highlighted in a lighter color?
About me Page
That the most important part can't be edited is again a no-go
! Otherwise it's useless right now.
Gallery and Favourites Pages
When clicking the gallery, the header scrolls automatically down a bit and only shows the half size header, but it's still as big as before if you scroll up. The first image in each folder is currently set as the thumbnail of each folder and fixed in center position, aka its cut off on several sides and there's no way to change that, aka no croping option (like Artstation has).
Small images are blown bigger like stamps or pixel art which is equally awful!
Why can't I edit the showing order of the default gallery folders??? Featured I can understand at #1, but Scraps at default position #2 - that's not acceptable. Scraps should be the last position regardless how many galleries there are. Make the changing of the folder order easier, aka drag and drop. This takes forever with the arrows = bad execution!
No subfolders, it looks like they automatically changed to main folders with Eclipse. They come in the "near future". DAZ soon anyone???
You no longer can fav a deviation per drag & drop; you need 4 clicks now to do so.
A single deviation page now shows in the right sidebar " Created by user", "recommended for you", "Featured in groups", "recently viewed", "Popular in the last 24 hours" - the last two are totally redundant. Plus small images like stamps are blown up in here as well, therefore again blurry and looking the exact opposite of a professional design.
Furthermore the description on each single deviation is automatically hidden and therefore will be ignored even more; but makes life for group admins who need to review the decription even harder.
Why can't I edit the cover thumb for each gallery folder? Right now one would need to upload a new image fitting the size for the folder thumbs as workaround (if it works at all). Not acceptable!
The option to edit the covers need to be included from the start. Again this looks like an imitation of Artstation, but they do it better, much better (and Artstaion is slowly improving their site since over a year, but their improvement is indeed improvement, fully working).
And we need the info for sizes for thumb images, cover images etc. Where can this be found? The new Eclipse Knowledge Base doesn't have them.
The Posts page contains all journals, polls, status updates and drafts. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!!
There's no longer a differentiation between personal and groups journal - again bad execution
This needs to be implemented again and released directly or very shortly after eg. don't make us wait for months! This is a mess as it is right now!
Eclipse screws all the old journal skins which makes each and every journal look bad as hell! We have to change each and every journal, are you kidding me?
The idea right now to grab the first image to make it a header looks awful at the moment. On the journal page itself there's way too much blank space, journals aren't no longer responding to the screensize of theater or full mode. Not to mention that old CSS are destroyed by Eclipse. So if one wants to have readable journals, one needs to edit all the old ones or delete them. That's improvement!
How can I edit an jounal that was written in sta.sh? The old version gave us the option to edit a jounal the normal way (edit button) or thru sta.sh (edit with sta.sh button). The option to edit thru sta.sh is completely missing, therefore journals written in sta.sh can't be edited right now. Trying to edit them don't work, but changes the journal to a literature piece, therefore making it disappear from the journal page! NOT well done!
Because of that screw up in editing journals, my journal can't even be changed to the correct category in the old version anymore. Well done again!!
Notifications Whiskey Tango Hotel!!!
I no longer can select several notifications eg. mentions and remove them? I have to do each and every one as single process? Are you freaking kidding me?
I have around 200 - 300 mentions each day, this would take forever!! So instead of 4 clicks in the old layout, I now need 200 - 300?? Good joke!!
Plus all notifications are mixed; yes you can choose a certain group in the menu eg mentions, etc. But there are still mixes between group and personal plus even when one group is selected no option to delete all of them in one go.
The bell shows no longer the number after once clicked, even if nothing was removed. Huh??deviantART Known Issues & In-Development Features: Here are some of the major known issues we are aware of and actively working on:
- We are still working on the favouriting and collecting experience. Please share your feedback!
- It’s not yet possible to include Literature and Journal thumbs in comments or galleries within Journals.
- Icon codes are in development.
- Sharing a thumbnail in a Journal or comment using a link (or :thumb: code) is not yet possible.
- Thumbnails of pixel art, stamps, and small images have some display issues.
- Literature thumbs do not include preview text.
- Various feedback notifications (such as certain types of replies and deviation mentions) are not yet completed and may display as an error.
- Feedback will sometimes get out of order after scrolling through many notifications.
- Minor formatting issues in new Journal text editor.
- Bio and personal information are not yet editable on Eclipse.
- Gallery Subfolders and Gallery Stats will be temporarily unavailable as we rebuild them in the future.
- The mobile web version is not yet available.
- Comment permalinks don't include links to the original content or parent comment.
- Submitting Journals to Groups is not yet possible.
And with knowing all this, they want to roll out this half baked release????Screenshots, composed to include available widgets, click to open big sta.sh image, compare to current one as I switched back to the old layout.
Profile Page Gallery Page About Page Notifications page
Journal Page Journal Single Posts - All Page Single Image
PS: I'm pretty sure I will add to this as I've probably forgotten to include some stuff that I haven't
Call to Beta-TestersCritique the Eclipse layout, give deviantart feedback thru their survey. But keep it constructive
, not just rants that you don't like a feature and it looks bad; that's the kind of feedback that won't help any of us. Submit a bug or feature request
Submit to this form as many times as you’d like!Submit your overall feedback about DeviantArt Eclipse