Hello faithful DeviantArt artists and deviants, and welcome to another interesting edition of How I Would Write & Make, where I or any one of you takes a piece of popular culture (a film, television series, novel, video game or whatever) and imagine an alternate perfect universe in which the piece is still successful and or influential to the culture at large, but you list 26 total differences in which the new version would differ from the original and therefore appeal to you. This week, I am tackling the fourth installment in a series about a young wizard and his friends at a prestigious magic school. Yes, I am talking about J.K. Rowling and Mike Newell's 2005 epic fantasy Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
How much of a Potterhead are you? Read all the books and watch all the movies back to back? Sort all characters from your fandoms and or OCs into a Hogwarts house? Still, I cannot help but wonder if certain events from the books and movies played differently to give lots more characters more chances to shine and not look bad. Of course, that would mean some development is taken away from the main lead Harry Potter himself, but we would instead see him develop through the developments his friends/enemies/frenemies go through in the stories, with this being the first installment of HIWWAM for the Harry Potter franchise. This would be a complete reworking of the story from scratch.
In this edition, we are going to take a look at an alternate universe in which Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire has a similar path in terms of development as well as certain author appeal elements that will make it enjoyable and hopefully others are eager to indulge in this and other concepts that would certainly change up the basic story - yet just drastic enough to feel new and a little less mean-spirited than the original film adaptations. The movie would still be produced by Warner Bros. but John Williams would have finished up his other 2005 projects in time to return back to compose the soundtrack and score to a film produced on a budget of $150,000,000.00 and push towards a high PG-13/low R.
1. Unlike with the film, the story begins with Ronald Weasley (Rupert Grint) and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) rescuing Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) from the Dursleys using Floo powder to return to the Weasley Burrow. It is here they go with the other Weasley family members - Arthur (Mark Williams), Fred (James Phelps), George (Oliver Phelps) and Ginny (Bonnie Wright); Hufflepuff prefect Cedric Diggory (Robert Pattinson) and his father Amos Diggory (Jeff Rawle) to the Quidditch World Cup. It is during the final match between Ireland and Bulgaria with the Bulgarian seeker Viktor Krum (Stanislav Ianevski) that Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione and Cedric will first hear of Krum.
2. Like in the film, the finals' after parties are cut short by the arrival and attack of the Death Eaters - the loyalest followers of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Harry is barely rescued and returned to the Portkey by a surprisingly heroic Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton) who despite being a Slytherin will not condemn a Gryffindor or any other student to suffer at the hands of the Death Eaters. On the Hogwarts Express train ride to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry; Harry, Ron, Hermione and Cedric make the acquaintance of Cho Chang (Katie Leung) as Malfoy reports rumblings to all the other students about Hogwarts hosting two other magic schools this year for some kind of magic tournament.
3. At the Hogwarts start of year feast, Headmaster Albus Dumbledore introduces ex-Auror Alastor "Mad Eye" Moody (Brendan Gleeson) as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher while Hogwarts plays host to the Trischool Tournament competing with the wizards and witches of two visiting schools that Hogwarts is hosting. These groups include Headmistress Olympe Maxime (Frances de la Tour) and the lovely ladies of Beauxbatons Academy of Magic from France; and finally Headmaster Igor Karkaroff (Predrag Bjelac) and the proud sons of Durmstrang Institute for Magical Learning of Central Europe. Two students - Krum and Fleur Delacour (Clémence Poésy) - are eager to meet Harry Potter.
4. The Trischool Tournament consists of five tasks - three stated, two unstated - all of which test a young witch or wizard's character, magic ability, intelligence and courage. Three students with a fourth student acting as a trainer each from the three schools will have their names pulled from a Goblet of Fire and select among themselves which one will perform which of the three stated tasks. From Durmstrang; Krum volunteers followed by Mazhulin Fyodorovich, Dimitar Romanov and Halvard Riis. For Beauxbatons, Fleur volunteers followed by Louise Brunet, Violette Maurice and Maeva Rousselot. From Hogwarts, Cedric volunteers as trainer - but three surprise entries are pulled from the Goblet.
5. Without having consented, the irrevocable selections by Hogwarts for their Trischool Tournament entrants are Ronald Weasley, Hermione Granger and Harry Potter. Everyone is horrified by this development, but Potions professor and Head of Slytherin House Severus Snape (Alan Rickman) is the first to suspect that our heroic trio could not have pulled such a dangerous stunt. Whoever put their names in must have designs on Harry for He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and that they must take great care from then on out. The 1994-1995 school year gets underway with Moody having a very overt approach to Defense Against the Dark Arts - such as demonstrating the Three Unforgivable Curses.
6. Ron volunteers himself for the First Task, and he promises Harry that he will take good care of Harry's new Firebolt broomstick. But the Gossip Correspondent for the Daily Prophet - Rita Skeeter (Miranda Richardson) is already trying to spin Harry, Ron and Hermione's entry into the Trischool Tournament as a coordination of sabotaging Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. During the First Task; Harry, Cedric and Hermione cheer Ron on as he fights his way to the dragon egg and out-flies the dragon on the Firebolt - showcasing the makings of a potential Quidditch superstar hidden in Ron. Riis takes home third place for Durmstrang, Louise gets second for Beauxbatons, and Ron takes first for Hogwarts.
7. With the Dragon Egg holding a clue for the "Second Task" inside it, Cedric suggests that his teammates use the Prefects' Bath to figure out the mystery. Harry takes the egg into the tub, and with the help of Moaning Myrtle (Shirley Henderson), deciphers that three "treasures" will be petrified and stored on the bottom of the Black Lake - and that the chosen champions must save those treasures that they cherish which are determined by the coming Yule Ball. Harry's cherished treasure is Ginny, Hermione and Ron are each other's treasure, Cho is soon eyed as a potential first love for Krum and Mazhulin, and Gabrielle Delacour (Angelica Mandy) helps her older sister Fleur try to find dates for the two.
8. In the meantime, Harry tries to find out what the next move by the Death Eaters on the Trischool Tournament is going to be. Conferring via the Floo Network in the Gryffindor Common Room with his godfather Sirius Black (Gary Oldman), he learns that one of the judges of the Tournament - Bartemius "Barty" Crouch Senior (Roger Lloyd-Pack) - has a son Barty Crouch Junior who was a Death Eater and turned in by a fellow former Death Eater who turned informant for Dumbledore and the Ministry of Magic - Igor Karkaroff. Even Professor Snape was a spy for Dumbledore implanted in He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's ranks as a Death Eater to shadow the many machinations of the Dark Lord's followers.
9. After explaining that the Second Task is to take place on the Black Lake, Harry receives some surprise help from Malfoy, Cedric and Neville Longbottom (Matthew Lewis). Coordinating with Professor Snape in exchange for unmasking the thief behind the disappearance of Polyjuice Potion ingredients from the Professor's stores, Neville procures Gillyweed for Hermione to use in the upcoming task. As they discuss this, Ron is soon summoned by Professor McGonagall (Maggie Smith) for the Second Task as Hermione needs her sleep. On the day of the Second Task; Neville, Harry, Ginny, Cedric, Fred and George show up as emotional support for Hermione in competing against Romanov and Violette.
10. Ron, Cho and Gabrielle lie petrified (turned to stone) at the bottom of the Black Lake, and the three champions will have one hour of magic to dive down and recover their cherished treasures. With Romanov in the black high waist swim briefs conjuring the Shark Head charm, Violette in a whitish-blue halter V-neck one-piece swimsuit summoning a Bubble Head charm, and Hermione in a four-tone red-green-blue-yellow U-back one-piece swimsuit using Gillyweed, the Second Task gets underway. At first, there is a moment of panic as Hermione fears she cannot swim and starts to drown. But then she sprouts gills and her legs and feet start to turn into a yellow and blue scaled mermaid's tail.
11. With her swimsuit's top turning into a red and green fish scaled brassiere, Hermione does a jump out of the water with whoops of joy from both her, the crowds and her friends as she dives down to rescue Ron and help the other competitors save their treasures. Lightning fast in the water, Hermione makes good time rushing through the Black Lake's sea grass like quicksilver. She, Louise and Romanov soon come face to face with the guardians of the stolen treasures - the Merpeople and the Grindylows. The Merpeople are much more scary and animal-like while Mermaid Hermione is more human-like and has a more Disney-type approach to her looks as a mermaid as she eyes the frozen Ron.
12. Gabrielle may be Fleur's sister, but she is as much Louise's sister as well as Fleur's as she tries to free her from the Grindylows' shackles and carry her up to the surface. Hermione, Romanov and Louise eye Ron in the red swim briefs, Gabrielle in the whitish-blue control fit one-piece swimsuit, and Cho in the deep blue control fit one-piece swimsuit - the three treasures shackled to the sunken temple by their ankles and surrounded by the Grindylows. Mandrake Restorative Draught is on standby for the petrified treasures as Ginny, Harry, Cedric and Neville help prepare it for when the champions return. Down below, the three champions bravely try to hold off the Merpeople and Grindylows' attacks.
13. Hermione casts a Full Body-Bind Curse or Petrificus Totalus on some Grindylows while Louise moves to conjure a Bombarda spell to break Gabrielle's bonds to the bottom temple. Romanov uses the teeth of his shark head to cut through the shackle chains on Cho as Hermione unlocks Ron and frees him with an Alohomora charm. As the three champions begin to swim up and back for the stands on which the crowds have gathered with their treasures in tow, the hour of free magic underwater runs out and they are on their own. The bubble head on Louise dissipates, Romanov's shark head reverts to his own head, and Hermione turns back to being a human from having just been a mermaid.
14. The three champions now have to fight their way past the remaining Merpeople and Grindylows to escape. Louise is the first to arrive with Gabrielle but slips and drops her surrogate sister as she climbs back onto the dock. Romanov and Cho are next to surface, while Gabrielle is only saved by Hermione carrying both her and Ron up to the surface. Hagrid and Maxime are impressed by Hermione's courage and inspiring compassion to help a competitor in need that they request Hermione get second place for Hogwarts as Louise takes third for Beauxbatons and Romanov first for Durmstrang. Cho, Gabrielle and Ron soon come around and learn what has happened as the Second Task comes to an end.
15. Hermione, Cedric, Ron, Harry and Cho wash off in the Prefects' Bath still in their Hogwarts swimwear with Viktor, Romanov, Gabrielle, Louise and Fleur joining them. It is here that the last unspoken task is revealed - a six-team Quidditch match between Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. Gryffindor and Slytherin will compete for the Golden Snitch, Hufflepuff and Beauxbatons will compete for a Silver Snitch, and finally Ravenclaw and Durmstrang will compete for a Bronze Snitch. Hermione and Ron have been practicing with Ginny, Cedric, Fred and George in sharpening their broomstick flying and Quidditch skills. Even as a nervous flyer, Hermione will try her best as one relief Chaser.
16. In the week or two before the Quidditch match-up; Harry, Malfoy and Cedric discuss their tactics for when going up against Durmstrang and Beauxbatons when Judge Crouch summons Harry to discuss some things. As they walk for a bit, they come across Professor Moody who gives a funny look at Crouch and the Ministry of Magic official believes he has seen something familiar in Moody as though the former Auror has changed but in a way not known as of yet. The night after that, Dumbledore and Snape are walking and talking in the Forbidden Forest when they see that Crouch has been killed and a frail figure of a man transfigures the body into a bone and apparates away without leaving a trace.
17. The day of the ultimate Quidditch match arrives as Ron is assigned the position of Gryffindor Keeper as Ginny becomes the new top Chaser with Fred and George remaining as the Beaters. Maeva proves herself the best Seeker for Beauxbatons against Hufflepuff as Krum tries to encourage his heir apparent in relief Seeker for Durmstrang against Ravenclaw. But with jinxes placed on the Bludgers suddenly becoming apparent, it is all hands on deck for all the teams playing sometimes going offense or defense trying to fill as many positions as they can while vying for the top three spots. While trying to keep an eye on the Bludgers, Professor Filius Flitwick (Warwick Davis) suspects the apparent jinx.
18. Ultimately, Ron and Hermione provide sufficient cover for Harry to capture the Golden Snitch and 150 points for Gryffindor. They soon are able to see Maeva - inspired by some of Harry's past exploits - capture the Silver Snitch and 125 points for Beauxbatons. In the end, Harry's counterpart in Krum catches the Bronze Snitch for Durmstrang with only Slytherin being the sore losers as Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw instead congratulate their competing teams from Durmstrang and Beauxbatons on a good game. Harry, Maeva and Krum are brought out to the middle of the Quidditch Pitch as the chants of the crowds echo with cheers for the three Seekers holding out their respective Snitches.
19. Celebrating the Quidditch victory in their common room; Harry, Ron, Fred, George, Neville and Seamus Finnegan (Devon Murray) treat themselves to some Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans and Licorice Wands while Hermione and Ginny try to work out the particulars of the Third Task that will conclude the Trischool Tournament. Before Harry turns in for the night, Sirius contacts him again and warns him that Barty Crouch Junior was very talented as a Slytherin and Death Eater - infamous for brewing Polyjuice Potion and inflicting the Three Unforgivable Curses on his victims to do his or the Dark Lord's bidding. This is one of the first clues Harry has to the Trischool Tournament's saboteur.
20. The next night after the dinner feast concludes, Harry rushes to Professor Dumbledore's office but finds it empty. He then looks into what is later revealed to be a Pensieve - a sort of looking glass into memories long thought forgotten. It is through the Pensieve that Harry sees the testimony of Karkaroff in which he turns Barty Crouch Junior over to be sent away to Azkaban. As he is led away, Crouch eyes his father, Dumbledore and Moody with animalistic fury until Dumbledore and Snape arrive. Snape can read the thoughts in Harry's mind with one look, and gives him a vial of tears containing Snape's memories that Harry is to pour into the Pensieve to see - but only for when the time is right.
21. Over breakfast the next day, Harry tells of his discovery to the other students huddled around him. With Crouch having eyed his father, Moody and Dumbledore as targets for his wrath, he would take any opportunity to escape. The Daily Prophet also reveals that with many of the Dementors having been dispatched after Sirius Black the previous school year while leaving Azkaban unguarded, Crouch was able to escape using the Unforgivable Curses and disappear into the open. Ron and Hermione are also intrigued about a dream Harry has been having a lot involving an old man inside an old house with Wormtail, Crouch and a shriveled demon who might just be a frail He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.
22. Finally, the afternoon of the Third Task begins as the three chosen champions are preparing to enter the Trischool Hedge Maze off of the Hogwarts Quidditch Pitch where the Trischool Cup awaits at the end of the Maze. The chosen champions are Harry Potter for Hogwarts, Viktor Krum for Durmstrang, and Fleur Delacour for Beauxbatons. Once inside the Maze, a jinx starts to take control of Krum which forces Harry to summon Cedric into the Maze to rescue them. Offering the Cup to whoever helps the others the best, Harry races with the other champions to the Cup. Harry, Cedric, Krum and Fleur grab the Trischool Cup which is actually a Portkey which deposits them far away from Hogwarts.
23. Brought to the graveyard of Tom Riddle, Harry and the others try to escape when Wormtail (Timothy Spall) kills Cedric. Krum and Fleur are forced to watch as Wormtail sacrifices his hand, Barty's father's bone and the blood from Harry to resurrect the Dark Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes) as the Death Eaters arrive. Harry resolves to tell Draco about his father Lucius Malfoy being a Death Eater - and Draco is not going to be pleased to say the least. Harry, Fleur and Krum try to escape but the Death Eaters block their exits and Voldemort demands that Harry face him when one of them kills the other - for Voldemort demands to touch Harry and see the light leave his eyes as one of them lies dying.
24. After deciding to confront Voldemort directly; Harry, Fleur and Krum cast an Expelliarmus against Voldemort's Avada Kadavra which then brings about a Priori Incantatem. The spirits of Harry's parents Lily and James as well as Cedric provide a distraction for Harry, Krum and Fleur to summon the Cup Portkey to their and Cedric's sides as they return to the arena. The celebratory mood is broken by the news of the Death Eaters murdering Cedric and Voldemort's having returned. Harry, Ron and Hermione are taken by Moody to his office where it starts to become apparent they are not seeing the real Professor Moody by the sounds coming from his trunk and his seeming talk of adoration for Voldemort.
25. When the false Moody threatens Harry; Ron and Hermione raise Harry's wand and their own in defense of their friend until the rest of the Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang staff arrive and the false Moody reverts to his true form of Barty Crouch Jr. (David Tennant), as Ron helps Dumbledore, Hagrid and McGonagall discover and free the real Moody locked away as a prisoner inside his own trunk. Hermione finds the evidence of Polyjuice Potion on Crouch and reports to Snape that they have found the culprit of who has been rummaging about the Professor's potion stores. Surprisingly, Snape bestows 69 points to Hermione and Gryffindor in recognition for her unmasking the missing potions' culprit.
26. Like with the film, the end of year feast is marked by the Hogwarts students and staff saying goodbye to their new Beauxbatons and Durmstrang friends. As Harry, Ron and Hermione watch as the Beauxbatons and Maxime's dozen alicorn (winged unicorn)-drawn carriage and the Durmstrangs and Karkaroff's ship depart Hogwarts, Malfoy comes up and drops word of Dumbledore's Army - the Order of the Phoenix - who may be able to help them all fight off the returning Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Harry is cautiously optimistic when Malfoy says he and Snape are going to tail after the Death Eaters and follow their next move as they board the Hogwarts Express bound for home. Roll credits...
And that's another edition of How I Would Write & Make for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005). It strays a little from the source material, and yet gives just enough to make it feel fresher and more innovative in my opinion. Just as with my potential HIWWAMs for the other Harry Potter movies, it shows that not all students in the Hogwarts houses are all cut and dry inhabitants of the houses they were sorted into as first years; Harry's development as a character is tied closer to the developments his friends and enemies go through, and the more obvious moments of jerkassery and dumbassery in his friends and the Hogwarts staff are downplayed to make everyone less caricatured.
With Hermione taking Harry's role in the Second Task and becoming a Mermaid if temporarily, it could make for a fine promotional center piece that would do for Harry Potter what Princess Leia in the Hutt Slayer bikini did for Star Wars while also poking a little fun at Disney's The Little Mermaid with a poster of Mermaid Hermione posing on a rock with crashing waves. This is all just my ideas on what I would do in adapting Goblet of Fire to the screen. But as TV Tropes gleefully points out, Your Mileage May Vary on this - so let me know what your opinions on this idea would be and feel free to make a How I Would Write & Make entry with any works of popular culture you can think of, like this one!