I've been going through the group and re-organizing, so please take a moment and look around at the new folders.
Yarncrafting (amigurumi, knitting and crochet) has been split into patterns and techniques.
Fantasy animals and Fan Art have been split into two folders. So for example a general unicorn pattern would go in Fantasy Animals, but Lady Amalthea, Jewel, Princess Celestia, Charlie the Unicorn, Unico, or Marigold Heavenly Nostrils would go in Fan Art.
Techniques has been split into three folders:
Basics for Beginners has information about all the things you need to know to begin soft sculpture, such as sewing machine care, how to select materials, types of stitches and so on.
Pattern Design features various tutorials on how to draft your own original patterns.
Special Techniques is where advanced techniques and walkthroughs go, it also has tutorials from other types of crafts that could be applied to plush making.
I also plan on putting some of the rules more clearly on the gallery page. Here are some of the basics for now:
0. Pattern-Depot is a group for folks who wish to learn how to create plushies and related crafts like partially-plush art dolls and animal costumes which generally share skills. Some things we don't include are: regular clothing and cosplay patterns (unless it could be adaptable for a plush), general knitting/crochet projects like afghans or scarves, art dolls with no plush elements such as BJDs, drawings of stuffed animals, or photos of stuffed animal collections.
1. DON'T submit to the Featured folder. Please try and submit to the proper folder. If you're very confused, feel free to note me and ask.
2. This group is for FREE patterns only. Two reasons: I think members find it irritating to sort through patterns to see which are free and which are paid, and sales/ads tend to get removed and taken down, and I just don't have the time to curate the gallery cleaning out blank submissions. I am considering something like being featured for a month on the front page in exchange for points which will go toward making this a super group (which mainly lets me do nice things like subfolders and such).
3. This group is not for pictures of finished plushes (unless the pattern is offered) - check some of our many great affiliates if you'd like to show your work. This group is for sharing patterns and techniques.
4. Only submit your own work! No patterns you found on Google, Pinterest, Instagram or other sites. Some sites in particular are notorious for art theft. Respect the artist who is trying to make a living by selling their patterns!
5. Please don't post journal entries, contests/giveaways/raffles, or pattern requests as submissions. If you are running a contest relevant to the group, let me know via note and I can post it in a journal entry. You can request patterns or ask for general help by commenting on the front page. If there's enough interest, I can see about setting up a group chat in the future.
6. Please note me privately with any problems or concerns you have. In general I've found the crafting community to be pretty chill, but any attempts to harass other members or myself, or similar drama bombs, will result in a permaban.
Any thoughts, questions or suggestions? Please leave a comment!
*I'm in the southern hemisphere, November is spring for me