How to use the DeviantArt Mobile App
The DeviantArt App for iOS and Android mobile devices is considered one of the most significant innovations within an artistic community that is home to a huge number of users. It overcomes many of the limitations that the mobile version of the site in the mobile browser, such as adding the ability to upload our artworks, or make changes to our gallery, etc. The DA App includes the main browser (Today Page, What's Hot, Daily Deviations, Undiscovered), the Submit Page, Notifications/Notes (the latest update), Watch, profile view and more. However, the app is yet to have all the basic and advanced features of the web version (such as Polls and Critiques or access to Sta.sh).
The App is available for download from Google Play for Android devices, from the App Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch (For now only for iOS 8 or later, but there plans to upgrade also to iOS 7 in the future), from Amazon and even on mobile devices with Windows 10. At the top of any DeviantArt page, you find the "Mobile" link to access the respective download links.
This tutorial will cover basic information about using the DeviantArt App, especially highlighting the Android version in which this tutorial is based.
Login in to your account
After downloading and installing the DeviantArt App on your phone, you find the following home page to register for the first time on DA if you're not yet a member (Join Our Community), or access to your account if you are a user already registered (Login). You can also enter in the site as visitor on "Skip for now"
- Today Page
- What´s Hot
- Daily Deviations
- Browse among the different categories and use the search bar (which can be opened by touching the magnifier symbol) to obtain specific results. Touch the arrows in each category to display the respective sub-categories and tap the category you want to look for access to the results.
-Note: Each time you log in, you will always begin at the Undiscovered section, which can be changed by the settings of your account to display any of the other sections instead. To know how to make this change, continue reading.
Visiting your Profile
To access your profile, you touch your avatar that you'll find in the top right of the application. The first thing you see is your artistic area and your tagline. This part slides to the left to view your user information, Deviant ID and general statistics of your account.
The navigation bar of your account is located just below and lets you access your Gallery, Journal, recent activity, your Favorites list, Watchers (or followers) and the comments section.
With the "Add a Comment" option you can write a comment in the profile of the person that you are visiting. To respond to a comment already posted, you just have to tap the comment to open the response field.
Touching the glasses symbol in the navigation bar of the application, you can access your Watch. This section shows the recent activity of users and groups you follow and has a space to publish a Status Update.
To make settings in this section, press the friends button found in the left of your avatar. You will see two tabs:
- Watch: You can decide which notifications you want to receive from other users and groups, sliding or touching the green bar next to each notification to deactivate it. Upon doing so, you won't receive their notifications anymore.
- Deviants & Groups that you are following in DeviantArt. The "Watch" button with ✓ indicates that you're following that person or group. If there is a "+" symbol, you're not currently watching that person, but you can do so by pressing the icon. The same can be done if you want to remove a person or group from your watch.
Press +Submit to access the Submit Page where you can upload your work. The page is divided into several tabs, depending on the type of publication you want to upload:
- Submit Art: To upload a work of art previously saved on your mobile phone, press the camera icon. You must wait for the image to be fully uploaded before choosing a category. You can then apply the appropriate settings to your deviation.
- Journals and Literature: To write a new journal entry or a literary text, swipe right to their respective pages. You can manually type in your entry here.
- Status: You can also upload a Status Update from here as well as in the Activity section of your profile and Watch.
You can also add images to your Journals and status updates. Finally, you must press the arrow button on the right to upload your publication
Viewing your Artwork
Below the image, you will find a series of tabs to display written info in the Author's Comment. At the end of it, you can see the tags added to the publication (without tags you'll see No Tags), statistics of the deviation, date that the art was published and options to add the author to your Watch or send a note. Comments received on the deviation appear below, as well as an indicator of the amount of favorites it's acquired. Touching the star adds the deviation to your favorites (you can even select a specific folder of your favorites section for the Deviation appear directly there). And the "More Like This" section, which displays artwork similar to the one you're viewing.
In the second image you'll find the Report Deviation option to send a report to the Staff of DA if you believe the deviation violates DeviantArt policy. The report forms are not yet available for viewing on the app, so you will be directed to the version of the page in the web browser on your mobile
With the latest updates, the App offers a wider tray of Notifications and is grouped into different sections, for new comments received in your publications, Replies, Activity section that show who has given a favourite in your work and Mentions.
Touch any notification to view, ie, whether it is a comment, you can access the publication where the comment was made.
Now, the notes section of your account is available on the App and you can manage your notes in the same manner as in the web version of DA.
- To write a new note, tap the envelope symbol next to your avatar.
- Touch a new note to open it and read it. It contains a small options bar at the top. You can delete the note, mark it as favorite by touching the star (and will be placed in the "Starred" section), respond by pressing the arrow or mark the note unread.
- You can also view your sent notes.
- There isn't an option to create folders to organize your notes on the app (as on the website), but the App provides all the basic options for managing our notes
Setting up your account
Last but not least, if you want to change some settings in your account (such as your avatar for example) go to your profile and press the wheel button in the upper right to access in Settings. The available options are:
- Change Profile Pictures: To change your avatar and your Deviant ID
- Update Personal Information: Edit your basic user information that appears on your profile, as seen in the second image below. It includes options for changing your password and your email address associated with your account. The user name is the only information that can not be changed from the app, regardless of if you're CORE user or not. This must be done on the desktop version of the website.
- Account Settings: Here you'll find the general settings of your account. You can select the page that you'd like to be your home page each time you enter the app (in my case it's "Daily Deviations"), and select the notifications you want to receive.
- Manage Watch: Another way to get to your Watch section and edit.
- Select the level of quality of the images displayed in the App.
- Activate the option to view those deviations that have the Mature Content filter activated.
- Logout: Logs you out of your account.
- Journals that have a custom theme or skin may not display properly in the app. The app will prompt you to open the journal in your mobile browser if it believes the journal may not display properly.
- The widgets that have been added to profiles from the web version are not displayed.
- The functions that are not yet available: Sta.sh access, Edit your publications, display groups, Critiques, Prints, Polls, Chats and Forums, Contests, Commissions, Premium Content and downloads