She was cornered. No water anywhere, and the first part of the fight had left her pretty much energyless. Worse, it was the new moon.
But as he emerged from the bushes, his stare was not the one of a killer, or even of a fighter. Gently, he spoke.
- Katara, come with me. Think of what we could do! Together!
His voice softened and he closed his eyes, almost humming to himself.
- Unlimited... Together we're unlimited. Together we'll be the greatest team there's even been, Katara... Dreams! the way we planned 'em.
She was strangely under this charm. She wanted to say something, but her mouth articulated almost on its own.
- If we work in tandem...
A smile flashed on his face. She was almost there.
- There's nothing we cannot win.
Her eyes widened in surprise. They had said this at exactly the same time, in perfect sync.
- Just... — he gave her his open hand.
- You... — she hesitated but started extending her arm.
- And... — they touched, as if for the first time.