Note: this work is now available as a custom print. For details, see here: [link]
I'm very proud of this.
It's one of those rare pieces that surpass all expectations, that turn out better than you could have ever thought.
First attempt at photorealism. Basically I took the colors directly from the photo, working closely with the reference. It took about a month, and I'd say 40+ hours total of work. Most of it was just zoomed in 200% with a tiny 10 pixel airbrush, doing those insanely small details. Layer count was relatively low, just 7 layers (all the horse's coloring was done on one layer).
The part which gave me the most trouble would have to be the mane... for some time it just wouldn't come together. But I was on a roll with painting the background, did it all in one go (around 5 hours). That is, once I had finally decided which photo to reference
It was a very satisfying experience, and I'm quite happy to have gotten this far and have my hard work pay off at last.
Needless to say, Arabians are one of my favorite horse breeds.
Time: 40+ hours
Program: Adobe Photoshop Elements
Tools: Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet
Details here: [link]
Animated walkthrough here: [link]Reference for horse: ~Jello88
Reference for sky: ~AJK-Original-Stock