Five Ways to Choose the Best NYC Criminal Defense Attorney
Choosing the best NYC criminal defense attorney is the most important step to make sure you do not find yourself behind bars. It is a matter that should not be taken lightly. Finding the right person to represent you in legal proceedings could spell the difference between freedom and a certain amount of time behind bars. Keep the following tips in mind if ever you find yourself in a skirmish with the law, may it be due to drug possession, driving while intoxicated, assault, or even burglary.
1. Choose a lawyer with experience. This should be a no-brainer. Hiring an inexperienced defense attorney to handle your case is like opting to ride a pony on a horse race. Make sure that the lawyer has had significant knowledge of the crime you are accused of. You cannot, for instance, hire an attorney who specializes in intellectual property for a case that involves theft or arson. Use your common sense when it comes to choosing. When in doubt, do your research.
2. Determine the qualities that you seek in a defense attorney. Yes, you have managed to find a number of lawyers with years of experience, but are they known for acts of dishonesty? Are they capable of using colloquialism to explain a complicated topic to their clients? What if you want a lawyer who would not clash with your own religious or political beliefs? There is nothing wrong with being choosy. If you’re still having difficulty finding the right person, you can always ask around.
3. Know when to look, and how to look. There are a number of ways to search for potential attorneys. Your local library surely has a catalog of resources you can use. You may also contact organizations that consist of criminal defense lawyers. With a few clicks of the mouse, you will be able to view a long list of possible candidates to tackle your case.
4. No man is an island. The same goes with attorneys. While they may serve as the “face” during legal proceedings, defense attorneys rely on a team of experts, assisting with your case to the best of their abilities. When talking to your prospective lawyer for the first time, make it a point to meet with his or her team.
5. Determine whether you need a private attorney or a public defender. They may sound the same, but they are different in a number of ways. While public defenders work hard to close as many cases as possible, the sheer number of individuals who cannot afford an attorney makes it more difficult to accomplish tasks such as gathering evidence. On the other hand, a private NYC criminal defense attorney is more than capable of focusing on fewer clients at a time, making it easier to handle legal proceedings. Weigh the pros and cons to see which of these options is more suitable for you.
Our Social Pages: