I got tagged in a journal earlier this week by one
to drop some info about a character i made a while back. i like to participate in things like this when i can, so i figured "why not?"
Rules are as follows:1. Post all rules2. Write 8 facts about your character3. Tag 8 people4. Write the name of the character with its owner.
So, without further ado, here are eight facts about my smooth-taking seller of suspicious substances, Mr. Hemlock.
1. Mr. Hemlock was, like a lot of my characters in my "Peregrine" story, inspired by western superhero characters i grew up with, specifically the DC Comics villains Poison Ivy and Scarecrow. Characters, especially villains, with plant-based powers can be fun to work with, and I wanted to take that power set in a different direction than the usual "nature-loving extremist" that Poison Ivy has locked down.
2. Hemlock was created mainly as an antagonist to my anti-hero Xavier Holter aka Varanus. Once I settled on a personality, power set, and motivation for Varanus, I got started on Hemlock not long afterwards. You could say these two were destined to fight.
3. Mr. Hemlock's design didn't change too much from my first sketches of him to now. His suit was based on the style of outfit worn by unscrupulous characters in 70s action movies such as Superfly and Dolemite. This outfit was chosen based on the personality I wanted for him: a suave, confident businessman that does everything with a dramatic flair and a constant smirk on his face.
4. The face you see for him is not his real face. It's a mask made from one of the various plant hybrids he can make using his powers; the same goes for the rest of his wardrobe.
5. When it comes to his powers surfacing, Mr.Hemlock is something of a late bloomer (pun intended). While most metahumans in my story have their powers surface around the ages of 10-15, Mr. Hemlock was 28 when he discovered his abilities. he quickly made up for lost time, though.
6. You'll have to take my word for it with a static image being all you have to go on, but Mr. Hemlock speaks with a noticeable Cajun English dialect. This was a design choice inspired by other characters i've seen with this dialect, such as Gambit from Marvel's X-Men and the Savoy siblings from the webcomic Lackadaisy. I've always wanted to give a character this dialect, and he seemed to be a perfect fit.
7. As you've probably guessed, "Mr. Hemlock" is not his real name. That's a name he took on once his drug trade really started to take root (once again, pun intended). The poison hemlock is a very dangerous plant noted for being the method by which the Greek philosopher Socrates was executed. It's also able to grow in a number of different environments, which inspired one aspect of Mr. Hemlock's powers: the ability to grow any plant anywhere he wants.
8. And last but not least: Mr. Hemlock is left-handed. Doesn't really inform too much about his character, but I thought you'd like to know.
And now for the tagging:
's Nanuk (Thief of the Bear King's Mask)
Once again, thanks to
for tagging me. have fun, you guys