EDIT: Looks like they updated the FAQ again and now it says that only pay-to-enter kind of raffles/giveaways are not allowed. :')
FAQ #894: Can I run a lottery, raffle, sweepstakes or other random drawing or game of chance through my DeviantArt account?
This is kinda a rant that I wanted to make days ago, but I didn't have time to write this. Also I was waiting for a helpful reply from the help desk that I contacted about a week ago asking many questions and what I got was confusing. That's the only word I can use to describe it.
So, everyone makes raffles and giveaways, people like them. But apparently, you are not allowed to make them anymore. No matter the prize you choose to offer: points, money, pm, art(?), tablet(?), etc. All a no no.
Kind of a summary (my understanding of this whole situation):
- da banned lotteries in 2010.
- I found a comment from 2013 from a staff stated that point raffles not allowed, but pm raffles are fine.
- A week ago, da banned contests and raffles that offer points and money as prizes because of legal issues.
- then around a couple of days after, all kinds of raffles and giveaways are not allowed because they don't know if the winners were chosen fairly. And FAQ #894: Can I run a lottery, raffle, sweepstakes or other random drawing or game of chance through my DeviantArt account? was updated.
- then contests that offer points and money are allowed again.
- art raffles might be still okay because the FAQ I mentioned above is listed under points. I tried to ask the help desk about this too and all I got was that 'games of chance not allowed. Like I said, not helpful.
Alright, not allowing something because you have to follow the law, is fine and understandable. But not allowing them because you think it might not run fairly? Apparently, you can't choose someone random, you have to choose a winner according to a certain criteria, like skill or creativity and that just makes it a contest. You know, I never saw anyone complaining about a raffle being unfair, that the winner was chosen unfairly. Because why would anyone get mad that a random generator didn't chose them? that's so unfair! they clicked a button to enter this raffle! they wasted a second of their life! I would understand getting a bit annoyed that the host canceled the raffle, but that's just it.
You know what I mostly see people complain about being unfair here on da? contests. Whether official da contests or contests by members. Many complain because they put a lot of effort and time to make their piece. Host gets many entries, then they cancel, chose an entry that contradicts with the criteria they stated they would judge on, etc.
But hey! contests are obviously conducted fairly because the host said they have criteria! You won't be scammed! Problem solved!
Same thing can be said about scavenger hunt events and kiribans. They can be manipulated easily. But hey! they're totes fine!
Anyway, I obviously don't want contests to be banned. I'm just saying everything can be manipulated and conducted unfairly, but choosing the less harmful of them to ban because of this excuse is ridiculous.
I'll continue my own watchers 'raffle'. I'll probably just have to ask the participants to answer a question and the winner will be based on best answer. Or something like that. Just to make my 'raffle' 'fair' in their eyes.