For you lit people, I poked the HTML a little and good news, the lit preview text is still being generated. (Fun fact that has always been true though, those words are public regardless of your sharing status on the rest of the piece. Change the beginning if you submit stuff! Poets, you're a bit fucked on this one.)
Things I will be pushing for on every update:
2. Storage (Manage Deviations) - know it'll exist, but where?
3. Being able to delete notifications as you're viewing them ("Remove from notifications")
4. Gallery stats - comments/favorites?
5. Finding group messages is unintuitive
They pretty clearly didn't go live with appropriately formatted CSS on journals/lit, I've had thoughts on that below but I cannot imagine they're going to leave it as is.
By now unless you've been living in the real world you know da is updating massively (I suspect they've scrapped most of the existing code and started fresh) and this update is called Eclipse.
I mainly use this site on mobile, as there's no mobile Eclipse I have fewer thoughts than I might otherwise. Obviously the entire literature situation is janky as fuck and it's not thrilling that this was considered acceptable for the "beta" (ok seriously this isn't a beta, it's like...QA and if I were a developer I'd be pissed about having to call it a beta as that implies a near finished product).
(And speaking of how this is more QA than beta: QA is a paid job, I'm not being paid, ergo I'm not testing bugs that would be obvious from following a script as simple as "reply to x".)
But in general...man, fuck profile customizations. At least to the extent which they were previously allowed. Yes a custom "personal comment" box (support thumbcodes, wysiwyg) would be valuable but lord jesus try browsing some of those super long profiles on a phone. And don't start me on trying to get through low contrast or tiny font journals. I do not, will not, squint.
I know there's writers who are mad because they don't make art so the new profile isn't as pretty...well, fucking learn. The people whose art you've used in the past figured it out. Alternately, commission an artist.
And ok yes there's a discount Facebook vibe but here's the thing: Facebook got a lot of shit right originally about how a profile should look. Definitely needs more functionality here (seriously, you can drag and crop cover images on Facebook) but it's a much needed 21st century overhaul.
Also the gallery tree...yes please. I was involved with the lit gallery updates, and in retrospect, that thing is more out of control than a random forest on 800+ dimensions. (There's your personal update!)
That said, aside from the lit thumbnails and general lit display, there are a few things I'm Not Amused about:
1. Storage, where is my fucking storage
2. Stash writer or bust
3. I need statistiiiiics
4. Don't put Popular 24H on all of my pages. I'm an adult who has NO DESIRE to see what horny shut in teens are jerking off to, especially when it's anatomically incorrect and generally female T&A, and let's be real on this site it's likely to be some kind of objectifying fetish. Yes that shit has a right to exist. I also have a right to not be forced to promote it (and I'll be deleting everything if the hand curation doesn't take care of it, if you've stalked me long enough you know that's the kind of thing that doesn't bother me to do).
As a reminder if any of this shit also annoys you or whatever, USE THE OFFICIAL CHANNELS TO REPORT IT TO STAFF. Don't be a fuckwit and just bitch about it to anyone else or, worse, blame volunteers for this.