16 Comments527 Views
A removable sleeve exploring the evolution of microscopic bacteria and the rapid growth of mould. Inspired by the dyed microscopic bacteria transformed into artwork. Made over a period of three days, consisting of foam, felt, sponge, thread and acrylic paint. artbynmoon.blogspot.co.uk/
2346x3128px 1.44 MB
Mar 12, 2015, 3:34:26 PM
© 2015 - 2021 nataliemoon
I used water dissolvable mesh to create the pattern on, made square patches and then eventually sewed them all together once the backing mesh was dissolved. Took a while because i had to cut away at the joins so they didn't look too thick. Then the bacteria pieces were made with various household materials such as sponge, netting, cotton wool and painted with acrylic. I made a wire frame to add structure and tiny hooks going down the back so it can be taken off. Sorry for the essay, it was a long process haha!
Ah well thank you! It was part of a course i'm currently on, a foundation degree before i go onto my 3 year degree. I had never really done a lot of sewing or textile based projects so it was all new to me, finally worked out how to use a sewing machine hah. The project brief was called 'Charles Darwin' and could be anything relating to biology, evolution and growth.
I do! I haven't done any since because i've been busy with my final project, but at least i now know how to use a sewing machine hah. Yeah the course is brilliant, it's a shame i'm finishing the course in a week.
View all replies