The Steamopera can be found at [link]
This is a new-worked version of the map of Steamopera Europe. Basically, I started from an older, less memory-intensive .svg file and went from there. I am particularly pleased to have solved the "old-timey country-border" thingie with the colours.
After making an 18th-century map lookalike-version what really wasn't, I did two simple post-processing thingies in GIMP (three, if you also count messing with the hue and saturation a bit). Not very complicated.
It's not supposed to be horrible legible, but I guess I will have to make less dark borders on the smaller statelettes. The one in on the eastern coast of the Adriatic is Montenegro, by the way.
Two edits later, it's a bit clearer now, with added papery look. Basic ingredients for this in GIMP if you wants it:
Take the vector base image, which already has the basic colouring done. The borders and whatnot, with a hint of very light yellow on the "blank", 'white' areas.
Apply GIMPs Cartoon artistic tool. It makes the colours a bit more natural looking, as if it was printed.
Make it a bit more yellow and less saturated with the Hue and Saturation dialogue. Pick yellow and give it +50 Saturation, then Master with -40 or -50 Saturation. This desaturates everything but yellow, which works fine with this.
Create a new layer, and use Render > Plasma, with whatever seed and attributes you find pleasing, then Desaturate this to get a layer that you turn to about 50% opacity and turn Burn with.
For added lines and whatnot, render a black and white Lava layer (I used the black-white-black gradient for the colour, and then inverted it to the black lines on white), then turn to the opacity to about 50% and Burn.
Removed Republic of Aragon, added some dammed land to the newly-branded Technocracy of Netherland, changed Kingdom of Sardinia into an Anarchy (which, naturally, is ruled by a dictatorship), and resized the whole image so the text is easier to read, and removed that pesky coffee-stain.