(Cross-posted from my wiki @ http://wiki.tamaratemple.com/Art/WCSoloTree )
The Solo Tree Project was begun 2012-06-13 in class.
The value study started out in one direction, but because of what happened during the painting of the mid-values, it ended up going in quite another!
I mixed equal parts of French Ultramarine and Quinn Burnt Orange fresh from the tubes into a well in my palette. These two make a lustrous black, much better than using Payne's Grey or even Black from the Prang palette.
I started with the darkest blacks, the tree trunk and branches, which is unusual for a value study as you are supposed to go from the l
This was both a lot of fun and a lot of work. I learned so much during this process; pouring, blending, the way the paints work, composition, and mostly letting myself make mistakes and practice on things that i needed practice on.