First off, Kalamari Desert from Mario Kart 64. With stuff I would keep from each pre-existing version and my own ideas.
Mario Kart 64 (original)
- just the track,
- also the speed of the train being faster than in the remake.
- Bring back the shortcuts created for this iteration of the track
My own ideas
- For starters, a theme based on this remix:
- Second, instead of a train from the Old West, we're doing something more creative. A train based on those in Southern Africa, where the Kalahari Desert is...
- As opposed to a mere western style engine, we will replace this engine with a Garratt, a type most commonly associated with that part of the world. A Garratt is a type of steam engine that is articulated into three parts. Its boiler is mounted on the centre frame, and two steam engines are mounted on separate frames, one on each end of the boiler. Like this:
- The locomotive itself could be based on the South African railways NGG16 type:
- Or, another garratt engine the engine could be based on is the South African railways class GMAM 4-8-2+2-8-4:
- Instead of a passenger train, we could instead have the Garratt pulling a long, heavy train of boxcars. About four or six would probably do.
- Also, how about the train line being double tracked? Two trains could not only force people to slow down and stay longer, but the more the merrier. I'm thinking the other train could either be another fright train or a passenger train.
- A shortcut could involve riding on one of the trains for a bit
- Last, but not least, let's make the track longer in various parts. I think the place where it runs along side the railroad then the area between the two crossing are good places to expand. As well as the bends near the finish line.