Hurry! There's still time for deviant artists to participate in the NVIDIA Speak Visual: Design Digital contest now with upgraded prizes worth over $12,000!
Here's what's available to win:
- $6500 in American Express gift cards
- Five deviantART Artist's Bags
- Five one-year deviantART subscriptions
- An all expenses paid trip for two to Austin, Texas, to attend and be featured at the NVIDIA® Speak Visual Show to be held during SXSW 2009
- An Alienware® Area-51® m15x 15.4" notebook computer
- Choose from one of five artistic mediums (vector art, fractal art, painting and airbrushing, 3D art, or pixel art)
- Use the 'NVIDIA® claw' and incorporate it into a piece of art that features the theme "Speak Visual"
- Write a brief description (250 500 words) explaining how your art speaks visually
Vector art produces images through the utilization of mathematical equations to represent geometric forms such as points, curves, polygons and lines.
This abstract variety of digital art uses fractal geometry through the use of algorithms to render spectacular forms which often evoke the realm of fantasy.
Digital painting utilizes traditional painting techniques, such as oil or watercolor, through the digital tools like graphics tablets and stylus pens to create images directly into a computer.
3D art emphasizes the creation of art that scales to the Cartesian coordinates (X,Y,Z) on a 2D digital canvas. Such items include 3D renders from a 3D program, or art where 3D depictions account for the majority of the artwork.
Pixel art makes use of raster graphics software to create images on a pixel-by-pixel level in miniscule detail.
- Full-time deviantART Community Relations, Community Operations, Creative Staff will select Ten (10) semi-finalists for each of the Five (5) categories of digital art specified for this contest for a total of Fifty (50) semi-finalists. On-site popularity will not be a factor in the semi-finalist selection process.
- The five (5) finalists and the Grand Prize winner will be selected from the 50 semi-finalists by a judging panel consisting of David Wright, Creative Director, NVIDIA® and Fabio Costa, Cutwater, Creative Director, a creative agency out of San Francisco.
- The Grand Prize winner will be selected from the 5 finalists.
- The judges' decision will be based on Visual Impact (40%), Originality (20%) Technical Skill (20%) and the "How does my art Speak Visual" essay component (20%).
NVIDIA® knows that you speak through digital pictures and movies, through the video games you play, and the worlds you create. The deviantART community brings your digital voices together to be heard across the Internet. Is it any wonder these two powerhouses have joined together to ask you to share your digital voice with the world? Help us explore the digital divide, and answer this simple question: What does it mean to Speak Visual?
There are two components to Speak Visual: Design Digital
- Create a visually stunning entry of any subject matter that features the theme "Speak Visual". This entry must incorporate the 'NVIDIA® claw', an abstract digital representation of the NVIDIA® logo, available for download above. The claw does not have to be the featured component, as long as it is integrated into your work. In fact, we're looking forward to playing "Where's the claw?" with your entries! Get the NVIDIA® claw here and start working! We are looking for entries that showcase crisp colors and jaw dropping visuals. Are you up for this challenge?
- However, it doesn't end there. Each submission must also include a short essay explaining how the art "Speaks Visual". Be compelling! There is no right or wrong answer; we're simply looking for a wide variety of responses from a vast pool of truly talented artists.
- We're looking for awe-inspiring entries with visual impact. Your work must be submitted into one of the five contest galleries for consideration.
- When submitting your entry, enter your essay (between 250 500 words) describing how your art speaks visually into the Artist's Comments section
- Entries must be completely original; no stock art is allowed for this contest except for the use of the NVIDIA® claw. All entries must be created specifically for this contest.
- You can enter as many Works as you want, duplicate entries are allowed (entering the same entry into more than one category) however duplicate entries will only be judged as a winner, if at all, in one category.
- This contest is open to legal residents of the United States over thirteen (13) years old as of December 23, 2008, and is a registered member of deviantART (paid subscription is not required for entry). The contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law and is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Contest entries must be entered by 11:59:59pm PST January 14, 2009
There will be a total of five winners, one selected from each category.
Each of these winners will get:
- $300 $1300 American Express Gift Cards
- 1 year deviantART Subscription
- A brand-new Artist Bag
Best In Show
One of the five winners will be selected as 'Best in Show'. This grand prize winner will have his or her winning piece showcased at the NVIDIA® Speak Visual Show to be held during SXSW 2009 in Austin, Texas. He or she, and a companion, will be flown to Austin, where they will receive a complimentary two-night hotel stay during the event. The winner will also receive a sweet Alienware® Area-51® m15x 15.4" Notebook Computer!