This week, I would like to introduce you - the-evil-legacy. If you take a look at the Tolkien fanart in her gallery, you can mostly (but not exclusively, as you can also see in the examples below) find pictures of the royal family of Mirkwood, both humorous and glamorous, but also more serious and melancholic sometimes.
1. Hello! For the beginning, could you tell us something about yourself?
Hello! My name is Adeline, alias the-evil-legacy. I'm 26 years old and live in France. I made Art Studies and I'm a professional illustrator (yes that's my job ! ^^). I have already published a illustrated book for children and had worked with Ubisoft for their new video game FarCry5.
2. What brought you to deviantArt and how did you pick your username? Or, to be more exact, whose evil legacy?
I'm on deviantart since 9 years now. And I discovered this wonderful website while looking for fanarts drawings from some video games. My username comes from a video game (Devil May Cry 4), there is an artifact called "evil legacy"
3. How did you enter Tolkien's world for the first time, and what impression did it leave in you?
I enter it when I watched the first "Lord Of The Rings" movie on TV (at this time, I was too young to have seen it at theater and I didn't know the books). This first movie made me want to know more about this universe and I started reading the books. I was totally subjugated by this amazing world and became a big fan!
4. How much did the movies influence your imagination when reading the books?
Yes I saw the movies first. And when I read the books, my imagination was totally influenced by movies : characters, places, battle scenes… I was happy to find everything I had seen in the movies.
5. Some of Tolkien's books can be hard to read, being more of history annals than beletry. Do you let that discourage you or not? How extensive is your knowledge of Middle-earth?
It discouraged me at first when I was too young for read those books, because it was really hard. But with time, I succeeded to read "The Lord Of The Rings" and I started to read "The Hobbit". I started to read it in french (my native tongue), and in english after. And I started to read The Silmarillion and all others books from Tolkien because it was a vast and interesting universe and a source of inspiration for me.
I'm not an expert, but I think I have a lot of knowledge anyway and when I want to find informations on a characters, a place, a battle, I search on the internet to know more about it.
6. This might be obvious from you gallery, but I will still ask: Who is your favourite Tolkien character and why?
XD THRANDUIL !!!!
At first, when I watched "The Lord Of the Rings" movie, it was Legolas (I love elves), but with "The Hobbit", Thranduil became my favourite character. But I love a lot of other characters (from movies or books), like Bilbo, Aragorn, Gimli, Gandalf, Elrond, Azog, Thorin and others… And what amazing actors for played those characters! And I have a weakness for Sauron and Morgoth, because they're soooo badass!
7. Now, could you tell us something about you and art? Are you a professional artist, or is art just your hobby? When did you start doing it, and who or what influenced your style?
When I started on DeviantArt, I was only an hobbyist, but now I'm a professional (but my art on DA is only hobby ^^). I made an illustrated book for children called "Oligo et le Labyrinthe des fées" (influenced a bit by Tolkien universe), and I worked for Ubisoft on "FarCry 5". Now I work on the new "Oligo's book" ^^.
8. You only started drawing Tolkien related art recently, but are doing so with an obvious dedication. Before that, your gallery contains various other fanarts. Do you think Tolkien is "just a phase" for your art, or something with a longer future?
Yes, I'm a great fan of fanarts ! All my gallery is fanarts ! I often have phases and drawing things who inspire me. I've always wanted draw Tolkien fanarts, but I had never had inspiration until now. But I hope this "Tolkien phase" will continue for a long time!
9. In your pictures, the royal family of Mirkwood is both a source of humor and serious emotions. What makes you lean towards one or another when deciding what to draw?
That's a great question… When I had the idea to draw serious scenes, the inspiration often come to me when I listen music (beautiful, sad, or badass) and I than I have the idea to draw a battle scene, a sad scene or others things like that.
And for the funny part… It's comes from my imagination, sometimes because I talk with an other fan… Or because I LOOOVE drawing Thranduil in embarrassing situation (poor him!).
10. What other book or movies (or anything else) inspire you to create fanart, and why?
MARVEL ! The Marvel universe (book and movies) inspire me a lot. It's not really like Tolkien… But I a fan of fantasy and Science-Fiction. Because it's so badass, and all characters and universe are amazing!
11. What art technique is your favourite? Do you rather keep to the art techniques and styles you are familiar with, or do you experiment with new ones as well?
I love drawing characters with traditional stuffs (a simple pencil), but for colors and big artworks, I prefer use photoshop with a graphic tablet.
12. Do you have some tips and tricks you would like to share with the other artists?
Hmm… Not really, In fact, it's to hard to explain. What I can say is to draw as often as possible ! You can only improve with work, watch tutorials and take inspiration from other artists.
13. Could you give us a link or thumbnail from your gallery of
- a Tolkien illustration you are most proud of?
(this one because I love that scene from the movie)
- a picture from other fandom or original picture you are most proud of?
- a picture that fits your current mood?
- a picture that was hardest to paint?
(this one because It's an action scene with lots of different characters and it takes me looong time to draw that with textures, colors, light..)
- any other picture you would like to share with us and why?
(this one because it's takes me long time to do that, and I love this actor, and It was the first realistic drawing I have managed.)
My family and friend (in real life ^^), they support me a lot. And On DA, all my friends, in particular who is a wonderful person !
I love a lots of Marvel's artists, their art is wonderful!
Alan Lee (who made fantastic Lord Of The Rings art), is one of my favorite artist.
And lots of others!
15. Is there some artist(s) at dA you know, who doesn't have as much attention as they would deserve? If yes, could you give us some thumbnails from their gallery?
and lots of others! ^^
16. Is there something else you would like to tell to the fans of Tolkien and your art?
THANKS TO EVERYONE ! KEEP YOUR COOL ATTITUDE AND YOUR KIND COMMENTS ! ^^
Thank you for your time and answers!