Bipolar In Me
by Travis Balitz
First of all I want to commemorate myself for sticking to the plan and getting this artwork done. This airbrush painting has been very very taxing on my body and the truth is I never enjoyed facing it, nor exposing it, nor dealing with it --- normally I do what the fuck I want when I want and leave it at that. It is true, I have bipolar disorder type 2 but I never enjoyed talking about it, facing the problem, nor enjoyed dealing with the regulation of medications and my mental history. I had about 22 different types of medications in my body, various antidepressants, anti-psychotics, a few anti-anxieties and the likes with poor results. But I felt if I finished this artwork in spite how sensitive I was to the pains of this work, I thought I would help draw my anxieties to a close with a full disclosure of my "weak" self in an artwork. From the start I took it serious, even brought a chain saw in my house to get my family to back off so I could focus on this. Yep, I am still that kind of crazy. But I don't think that has changed at all. Anyways, perhaps people out there may have had a history or problems with jobs, dealing with family, meds, homelessness, ect. This could pertains to you to and perhaps that's what I wanted to get out of it the emotions, the physical sense of what happens in the mind of someone that experiences such crisises. Not necessarily the bad stuff comes out of this, but the good stuff like with the mania as well. Perhaps many of you found disclosure with therapy and medications, and that is great.
Below I includes some facts about bipolar disorder. People hate negative shit, well at least I do, but I felt this was important. Even though bipolar disorder only affects 2.6 % of the population, it can be very deadly illness. At least to me it was.
PLEASE READ. I DID NOT SPEND MY NIGHT PULLING FACTS FROM MY ASS. THESE ARE SOME SERIOUS ISSUES THAT STATE THE HARD COLD FACTS OF MENTAL ILLNESS, BIPOLAR DISORDER, & HOMELESSNESS. Most people can whisk away at their own family life, like me I am fortunate to have caretakers, but I wholeheartly believe that the airbrush drawing I did, is a solid not creepy representation of the despair of the realities of life.
I am appreciative of the fact that I have a home, not that I never had a consideration of being homeless, which I have but << 875,000 PEOPLE >> with mental illnesses are homeless. THAT IS A LARGE NUMBER. And that is who I dedicated this portrait to but also the cold hard facts of mental illnesses as I stated earlier.
Facts on bipolar disorder (retrieved from www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageS…
• Bipolar disorder affects approximately 5.7 million adult Americans, or about 2.6% of the U.S. population age 18 and older every year (National Institute of Mental Health).
• More than TWO-THIRDS of people with bipolar disorder have AT LEAST ONE close relative with the illness or with unipolar major depression, indicating that the disease has a heritable component (National Institute of Mental Health).
• Bipolar disorder is the SIXTH leading cause of DISABILITY in the world. (World Health Organization)
• As many as ONE IN FIVE patients with bipolar disorder COMPLETES SUICIDE. (National Institute of Mental Health)
• Success rates of 70 to 85% were once expected with lithium for the acute phase treatment of mania, however, lithium response rates of only 40 to 50% are now commonplace. (Surgeon General Report for Mental Health)
• Nearly 9 out of 10 consumers with bipolar disorder are satisfied with their current medication(s), although side effects remain a problem. (DBSA, 1999)
• Consumers who report high levels of satisfaction with their treatment and treatment provider have a much more positive outlook about their illness and their ability to cope with it. (DBSA, 1999)
• An estimate of the total cost of bipolar disorder made more than a decade ago was as high as 45 billion dollars per year (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16…
Facts on Homelessness related to Mental Illness
• As many as 3.5 million people experience homelessness in a given year, lived in poverty or 1% of the entire U.S. population (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration).
• 875,000 people are homeless due to mental illness such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
• Approximately 16% of the single adult homeless population suffers from some form of severe and persistent mental illness (U.S. Conference of Mayors, 2005).
• 20 to 25% of the homeless population in the United States suffers from some form of severe mental illness (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration).
• For homeless families, mental illness was mentioned by 12% of cities as one of the top 3 causes of homelessness (National Coalition for the Homeless, July 2009)
• Serious mental illnesses disrupt people's ability to carry out essential aspects of daily life, such as self care and household management. Mental illnesses may also prevent people from forming and maintaining stable relationships or cause people to misinterpret others' guidance and react irrationally. This often results in pushing away caregivers, family, and friends who may be the force keeping that person from becoming homeless. As a result of these factors and the stresses of living with a mental disorder, people with mentally illnesses are much more likely to become homeless than the general population (Library Index, 2009).
• A study of people with serious mental illnesses seen by California's public mental health system found that 15% were homeless at least once in a one-year period (Folsom
et al., 2005).
• Patients with SCHIZOPHRENIA AND BIPOLAR DISORDER are particularly vulnerable.
Depression & Bipolar Support Alliancewww.dbsalliance.org/
National Alliance On Mental Illnesswww.nami.org/
WATCH TIME LAPSED VIDEO BELOW:
VIEW ARTWORK HERE:
VIEW PHOTOSHOOT OF ARTWORK HERE:
Media: Createx Wicked Color Paint
Tools: Iwata Kustom Micron CM-C .23 mm Airbrush, Iwata HP-C .3 mm Airbrush, 0.5 mm Mechanical Pencil, Eraser, Painters Tape, Texturizers
Canvas Material: GALLERYWRAP Artist Canvas
Canvas Size: 24'' x 36''
My YouTube Page:www.youtube.com/theairbrushadd…
My Deviant Art Page:manhopark.deviantart.com
The Artwork Addicts Facebook Page:www.facebook.com/TheArtworkAdd…
Song Title: [Under Construction]
Music Composed by [Under Construction]
A once aspiring songwriter/musician, Travis Balitz, has transitioned himself into Airbrush Art, and has formed the company "The Airbrush Addict." Watch him as he continues to display awesome artwork on various mediums including canvases, automotive surfaces, helmets, bicycles, skateboards, and the like!
If you are are interested in airbrush services, requests and or portraits, feel free leave a message via Deviantart, YouTube or Email. To request rates, terms, conditions, and to discuss business/freelancing opportunities, please contact us by email at theartworkaddicts (at) gmail [dot] com *Only serious, business-related inquiries will be read and answered. Please replace the space and brackets with an "@". This has been done to avoid spam.
Copyright © 2013 Travis Balitz The Airbrush Addict. All Rights Reserved.