It's been a crazy summer here in New Hampshire.
Between the Heat waves and the crazy thunderstorms, the garden has gone bonkers and there's more stuff to harvest than I can keep up with.
- We've already made 15 pints of dill pickles, and there's more to come.
- The herb plants have turned into full-fledged trees
- My Mortgage Lifter tomatoes are so tall I can't reach the top of the plant, and I will be buried in a sea of tomatoes by next week.
Working and working out is taking up most of my time.
- My next competition is coming up soon, so I'm focused on improving my deadlift and getting into the next weight class.
- Having a larger role at my job results in tons of special projects.
And lastly, my brother's business is picking up now that fair season is here, and we're getting a lot more visibility.
- We're attending fairs and events every weekend this month and next month.
- We're also gearing up for fall and the holiday season.
That being said, there's very little time for drawing and storywriting. I don't get to do much online, other than checking email and streaming music.
I've been at a crossroads for a while.. On one hand, I'll always love TMNT and all of the properties that I've drawn and written fanworks on. On the other... I just don't have the time and energy to invest in the fandom. I feel like I've outgrown that part of my life. One of the artists I follow on here,
, wrote a really good article about fan art and fanwork in general.
The thing I took away from this... if I want to grow as an artist and crafter, I need to branch beyond playing with other people's creations. I need to explore myself and develop my own works. In a time when there's so much done on computers and so many people live their lives through a camera lens, the importance of doing things with your hands....I think that's hugely important. Having worked with my brother designing things, I've been able to do it. It's a wonderful feeling to see something you've worked on become solid and real.
So.. I've started cleaning up my gallery. My fan arts have been reduced to a single folder with my best pieces. I've cleaned up my favorites folder. I've cleaned up my original works and put more emphasis on my brother's creations. As I design more items, I may post those drawings here. It feels like a good start...